Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Anybody heading to Oshkosh this year?

I am back from my travels on business to do laundry, catch up on bills, and maybe get some time on the airplane construction. My next departure is for ME! I am going up to Airventure at Oshkosh and to visit some cousins up in Wisconsin.If any of you are going to be at OSH on Friday or Saturday, it may be possible for us to meet. I will have my cell phone with me and any of you who will be there can send me a direct email message and will provide my cell phone number.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Oh! the heat. No thanks, Jerry, I get enough sunstroke while working out here on the farm.Don't forget to wear a hat, drink plenty of fluids, and have fun. We are counting on you for pictures of new and interesting kit planes, avionics, and whatever else is around.Best regards.Luis

Geof,You've Got MAIL! Check your inbox for cell phone number for a possible Friday contact at OSH.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I had a nice flight here today in a Lake amp.Unfortunately my ride needs to leave Friday morning so it sounds like we will miss out...Oh well...geof

I will be at the Hampton Inn in Green Bay Thursday evening only 40 miles away. I will be coming to the airport early by car on Friday.I will be returning from my cousin's place up by Lake Superior.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Looks as though you're taking the scenic route, Jerry. Staying off the Interstates?I love the look of those little ol' towns. Better be good at parallel parking if you're going to stop.On that low fuel story you told, I hate to admit that I've been in a similar situation. The engine even quit in the cruise descent. But, I managed to shake enough fuel into the lines to reach a high final. Whereupon, I shutdown to conserve what remained. After landing, the engine was re-started and I taxied to the pump. Found out he Tri-Pacer holds more fuel than the rated 36 gal. I don't know about anybody else in this crowd. But, adrenaline makes my hands shake in the worst kind of way. In fact, I had a full body quake going at this incident.http://myweb.cableone.net/joesumralliii/hook5.gif

Yes-it was rainy and we left about 10:30 am. Scud ran up the wisconsin penn-then started crossing the lake-kept avoiding the clouds and rain-tried to pick up an ifr clearance 3 times but we were refused (oshkosh traffic/reservation). Finally around tvc weather closed in -luckily we were in a lake amphibian-happened to find a lake (Glen lake) that the clouds encircled and landed in the lake to wait it out.Were finally able to pick up an ifr clearance from the lake(with a 3 minute depature window!) and went to mop for a fuel stop. On landing the right brake assembly exited the aircraft leading us to control problems down the runway. Got it off the runway in one piece-but no more flying-had to call my wife for the 2 hour car round trip home...Can't have more fun than that! Still wired at 1 am local time! :-)P.s. -nice shots!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

>Yes-it was rainy and we left about 10:30 am. Scud ran up the>wisconsin penn-then started crossing the lake-kept avoiding>the clouds and rain-tried to pick up an ifr clearance 3 times>but we were refused (oshkosh traffic/reservation). Finally>around tvc weather closed in We drove, and also left OSH Friday Morning, heading north around the lake then towards SSM/YAM. It was wide-open northbound until we got eastbound around the north side of the lake. Then well below VMC in FG/BR and low cloud for at least an hour although no precip.My first time to OSH. Loads of fun, and that was just watching ninety-odd Bonanzas landing in 12 minutes on Sunday. (Probably some Debs snuck in there too, maybe even N1768G, but can't say that I actually saw it :-) ). I assume you had the Lake at the main field on wheels, and not at the lagoon??Art