Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

By the way...ROLL CALL!!!

It seems that I have been too active here, and it is time to have everybody check in with what's new all around the globe. You know I have been dodging hurricanes and traveling around, but now it is time to turn the tables and get the score from each of you.Luis gave us tropical flowers, and we had a reply from Arizona on trails in the wild. What else is going on? Lindy, Pork, everyone jump in now.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, beeing back from my two week vacation in Italy (visiting a FU3 friend, alias "Quaxo" here at AVSIM) i have to say i am bothered by the cold winds here in Sweden. Other than that it

I'm here.Getting ready to buzz off to Oak Ridge, TN on the 23rd of this month, returning to MAF on the 26th. It's another playing with trains weekend. I am shipping two locomotive horns out there ahead of me so I can seranade the spectators with a couple of custom tuned airhorns. I know it's a goofy hobby. Whilst Brother Thorne punctures aluminum in his garage, I have somewhere around 80 trainhorns and whistles, plus the odd signalling equipment stashed there. So much so that I have no room for my truck.Other than that, nothing much news out here.Doc Bryantmy larder of Cuban cigars has grown small, so I am contenting myself with a Dominican Republic Hoyo De Monterrey.

Mats,We would like to see some photos from your part of the globe as well. You can pose in front of the PA-28 if you like. Existing photos would be fine.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Doc,We could see some of that stuff you have stashed in your garage. Everyone is getting an eye full of my garage on my web site.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I locked the dead bolt on the garage door and left town...for Miami. I got in here at the hotel around 11:15 PM last night. It is the beginning of another 2-week road trip, again. By the time the storm gets to Tennessee, it should be a tropical storm again. I am above the flood zone in my neighborhood from nearby Chickamauga Creek.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I'm here! :-waveI was here a couple of days ago, but keyboard problems prevented me from posting. New batteries improved the situation, but something is still not right with it. :-hmmmThe arrival of the prop and engine really turned a corner on your project, Jerry. What was a collection of metal is now an aircraft, sitting on its own wheels, even. The excitement grows! :-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

I feel the pain of being here and it is back there. It will be two weeks before I can get back to work on it. There will be plenty for me to do until then to earn my pay check. I will try to post some pictures from along the way.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

At least you have a scanner.I have been amazed at the lower cost of digital cameras in the past six months. A basic 2 or 3 megapixel camera with an OPTICAL zoom lens is in the range of $100 US dollars here. The one I use is a Fuji Fine Pix 2650 which cost me just under $200 when I bought it in December 2002. They can be found on the internet now for about $120. Fuji has introduced a replacement for it that sells in that price range also.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Hurricane force winds blow as I type.It's a rough night here in ol' Biloxi.There's still power on my street and the AC is blowing cold.Most of the power is out in the neighborhood, though.We're on the more weak west side of the storm.Mobile and the Florida panhandle are getting pounded.Another few hours, and it should be easing up.http://myweb.cableone.net/joesumralliii/hook5.gif

I was just watching the news reports from Biloxi on CNN. Good luck with the storm tonight, Joe. I write this from a hotel room in Doral, Florida (Miami area).For those of you not from the south, the name of the town is pronounced as BILL-LUCK-SEE, not BILL-LOCK-SEE.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

We did well and just plain ol' got lucky, Jerry. Thanks!I'm not going to bellyache about the mess it left or the temporary loss of services.Folks over in Alabama and Florida had catastrophic losses and some died.Our buddy, Luis, has Tropical Storm Jeanne moving over him right now.http://myweb.cableone.net/joesumralliii/hook5.gif

Hi there y'all..... I'm here too. Geez, this has been SOME season for storms. Jerry, you couldn't PAY me to go anywhere in Florida this year!!!! LOL Yesterday we were forecast to get severe T-storms, possible tornadoes and flooding from Ivan through the weekend. Parts of western and northern Virginia got hit, but here in Va. Beach it remained relatively calm..... had a stiff breeze, lightning from distant storms and a few drops of rain.I've been busy keeping my head above the workload (not an easy task); I seem to have lost much enthusiasm for flight simming recently. Hopefully a temporary situation. And I've started square dancing again!! Great fun and a sure-fire way to make some new friends. :-yellow1Other than that, things are reasonable quiet over here.-Lindy :-wave

Don't apologize for getting some good exercise and having a real social life. We are glad you could check in to know that you are doing fine there near the beach!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Still here, watching the RV coming together. I'd like to come up some time, Jerry, and put in a rivet or screw before it's too late, with a friend of mine who's working on his PPL. He soloed about a month ago.Will you be home Sat, Oct 2 ? Of course, if you don't want any visitors, let me know - won't offend me any.I'm presently getting checked out in both the Diamond DA-20 and DA-40 at FFC. They only have one 172 left, but about 3 ea of the others.Dave H.

Sure, come up and I will give you the 50-cent tour. Send me an email and I will give you directions. If you are planning to fly up, come to Collegedale airport (3M3) and I will pick you up there. Or you could come to CHA and park at the FBO on the southside of the terminal, but that is a hassle due to CHA having scheduled airline flights, etc.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

> What else is going on? Well, you'all know I had to put in a picture.This is a Sedona condo weekend last July - from the ground.Yes, the HUD says 32 mph. I have no excuse.Remember my old airport pictures? George flew through the "slot" dead ahead. Below the rock tops.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/91923.jpgSedona Golf Resort. The 18th tee from our patio.My scores were good! OK, as time goes on, they're becoming great.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/91924.jpg

I got invited to lunch earlier today...as usual, when I get invited to lunch something's afoot....My fellow pyrotechnician was doing the invite, so I knew there was a fireworks display or something related to that on his mind.I lead with, "Well, are you shooting the Andrews, TX display this weekend?""Maybe, if the Corpus Christi shoot falls through."That trumped my ace. I did not know of such an event. Darn."We are shooting from a barge offshore. It's a big show, electric firing." The dollar figure he mentioned was more than double the largest display I had shot so far this year.And the date? Why this Saturday of course. When I will be in Oak Ridge, TN playing with trains.Damn the bad luck!Doc Bryant

Sorry for the delay here. The thing is i have to select and upload the pictures to my ISP server first. Just have to find a minute to see what pictures to upload and what pictures to hide ;-)// Daniel