Sign in to follow this  
Guest Robert_S

Dominican Republic

Does anyone know the status of Luis Feliz Tirado?Hurricane Jeanne did major damage in Haiti, including killing a number of people. Since the Dominican Republic is on the same island of Hispaniola, it was probably hit pretty hard too. I imagine power lines were destroyed, which probably explains his abscence here, but I worry about our friend.I sure hope he returns to the forum soon.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Much of the damage in Haiti was due to the loss of the forests over many years and the resulting floods and landslides. The other side of the mountains is the D.R. of course. They have a better economy and still have their forests.Like you said, he may be waiting to get power and phone service established again. I am sure he will check in with us when he is connected again.I talked with some old friends in Florida today that saw the eyes of Frances and Jeanne pass over their area.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I've been concerned myself to the extent that I've Googled the news for the DR and the Santo Domingo area. I didn't find anything that indicated something catastrophic in Luis' area. Though, I've imagined all kinds of horrible things that might have happened.In the Southeastern US, when there is a storm, utility companies converge on the affected area, even before the storm has passed, to restore service. I doubt there is that kind of horsepower in the DR.Check in with us when you are able, Luis!http://myweb.cableone.net/joesumralliii/hook5.gif

Many, many thanks for the concern, gentlemen. In fact, that last hurricane, Jeanne, was only a tropical storm when it hit the north coast of the country where it caused extensive flooding and damage that goes along with it. None of the numerous hurricanes has scored a direct hit on us this year - we were very fortunate, and most sorry for all those who suffered.Nonetheless, they did bring us many electrical storms and a lot of rain. Here is a picture out the back looking towards the mountains in the west during a storm:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/93599.jpgCan you see the mountains? No, I didn't think so.Anyway, it seems that some lightning blew out the surge protector on the phone line on September 15th. It never occurred to me to check that since nothing else was burned, so I have been waiting for the telephone repairman since then. He just showed up this morning and found the problem. I feel somewhat sheepish about it all since I could have found and fixed it myself. On the other hand, that guy did not show up for over 3 weeks, so I am also a bit upset.Not much harm here in this country from the hurricanes. As Jerry mentioned, the problem came from flooding in Haiti where they have totally destroyed their forests, and eliminated any natural protection that trees provide.Glad to be back, and thanks again.Best regards.Luis

After all the news coverage here of the storms when they became hurricanes, you can see why we were worried. Good to have you back online sir!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN