Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

RV-9A PAGE 60!!! The work begins again...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Jerry,Looks like work is progressing nicely on the RV. Couple of small things I noticed from your pictures if you don't mind. The bolt on the adel clamps should be installed from the top down. It's standard practice to install bolts down so that if the nut were to come off the bolt would not fall down too. It and the item it's holding together would be one less thing to drop and possibly jam or short out something. You mentioned in one of your posts about cuts from plastic tie-wraps.If you tale a couple of tie-wraps with you down to a hardware store to test, you should be able to find a small pair of side cutters that cut straight across instead of at an angle. Then cut the tie-wraps when you install them flush with the locking part and you shouldn't have any more cuts on you arms or hands. This won't stop the cuts and bruises from all the jagged edges, but they come with the territory. :-)Little update on Cap'n tall for those interested. I was out of commission for a couple of months with a bulging disc in my back that was pinching a nerve. Hurt like h*ll. Tried therapy where they put me on a machine and tried to stretch me back to shape. (like I need to be any taller):-) That didn't work so I had to resort to surgery. Had it done three weeks ago and everything is fine now. Doc said that after a few more weeks of therapy I'll be cleared back to flying. All of this has slowed my search for a replacement for Big Red but as soon as I'm back flying the search will be on.Yall take care now hear,Ed Weber a.k.a Cap'n tall

Glad to hear you are back in action!Thanks for the "heads up" on the bolts. This is my first airplane not built from balsa and plywood. I am grateful for any good advice given in the spirit of flight.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Hello Ed,Nice to see you around again. Too bad about your session on the rack. It must all have been very painful, but I hope that you are much better.Best regards.Luis

Hello Luis,It's good to hear from you again also. I hope "Mother Nature" has finally settled down in your part of the world so that your life can return to normal too.Best regards,Ed Weber a.k.a. tallpilot

Hi Jerry,It's me again. :-)I don't know if anybody has shown you how to use two tie-wraps to make a stand off for wires and hoses. It works real well for standing off small lines and wires from the engine mount and from themselves. you would think that if you tie-wraped a wire to the mount that the wire coundn't move. But over time they do tend to chafe and wear due to vibration. The same holds true for wires or hoses that are single tie-wraped together.The solution is to use two tie-wrapes as a stand off. The way to do that is to take one tie-wrap and place it around the items (for example a wire and the engine mount) and pull loosely leaving enough room that the wire in this case does not touch the mount. Then take the second tie-wrap and put it around the other tie-wrap BETWEEN the wire and the mount and pull it tight. Then tighten the first tie wrap and you have a nice secure wire or hose that can not rub or move. You'll find that over time (years)tie-wraps become brittle due to the heat and need to be replaced. Sometimes they even break, but it's still easier and cheaper than using adel clamps every were. Sorry I don't have a picture but I would think that one of the mechanics at the airport should be able to show you how if you don't already know.Have fun,Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a062.htmI am creeping around on my back board with wheels to get some of tonight's work done.Luis, there is an RV-9A builder in the Dominican Republic. He contacted me via email after looking as my site. It seems that I mentioned your name in the one the "tropical excursion" pages. His name is Waldo Pons and he is just getting started on the tail section. I told him about you and this forum. So don't be surprised if you get a phone call some day soon.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Thanks, Jerry. The name does not sound familiar, but I shall be most happy to meet the fellow and see his airplane.Your project is looking very good and gets better every day.Best regards.Luis

Luis,I sent you an email about the RV-9A builder down you way. Let us know if you all get together. Take your camera and get some pix for us if he does not mind.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Hello Luis,Don't know if it made the news there, but they found a dead male in the whell well of an American Airlines jet at Detroit the other day. He had coins from the Dominican Republic in his pocket so they think that is where he was from. Not a good way to try and get to the USA.Regards,Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Hello Ed, Thanks for the news. I saw it on television (oops! did I say television? I hate the stuff.) Pretty sad. Many people in poor countries - most of the world - are desperately trying to get out of them. They go to the nearest rich country looking for jobs and a better life, like any immigrant. Usually, the emigrants here are boat people and many of them die in the Mona Channel trying to reach Puerto Rico. Occasionally, one climbs in the wheel well of an airliner's gear and dies frozen like this one. The flight stopped in Miami first before going on to Detroit, so it is surprising he did not get off there - he was probably already dead, poor guy. He was just some young guy with dreams of a better life and now he is dead.Best regards.Luis

Sign in to follow this