Sign in to follow this  
David_FFC

Startup Airport

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wish I could help you, Dave, but ProPilot does not seem to work very well on a Windows XP machine. And the CD drive on my old machine does not work, so ProPilot will not launch without the CD in the drive.But, I have the Mickey ProPilot FAQ saved to the hard disk (and it is still available here at AvSim:http://www.avsim.com/mike/mickey_site/ppilot/ppilot_faq/Thanks, Tom. You are the man!)according to which:Is there a way to save certain preferences? Like startup city, auto-taxi, and the co-pilot settings?The answer is YES! To do this, do the following: - Go to the directory C:SIERRAProPilot99FlightflightsUSA (if you've installed Pro Pilot in the default location) - Find the file named startup.flt - Make a copy of this file (maybe named startup2.flt) - Start Pro Pilot - Make the changes you desire. (Startup city, auto-taxi, co-pilot settings.) - Press Shift+F6 - Save the flight as startup.flt The next time you start Pro Pilot, it should start with the settings you chose! Ed's great tutorial on flying the Baron is still in there as well. ProPilot will never die!Best regards.Luis

I remembered that it had something to do with the startup.flt but had forgotten the "save as" part.My new machine (pile of parts building in the corner) will be XP Pro. Am I reading correctly that, I shouldn't even try to load PP...???Pork

Give it a try and see what you get, Pork.On my machine, the colors are really horrible, some browns and yellows on all the screens that make reading them impossible.Is it because of Windows XP, another of Bill Gate's mutually-incompatible horror-ware programs? Possibly.Or, could it be the trial version of Norton Anti-virus that has expired, and, in so doing, mucked up the entire system? Probably.Or, is it the peewee graphics chip included with this new computer that is incapable of displaying anything beyond 256 colors? Could very well be.(Doesn't this remind you of that kid's toy, Eight Ball? Remember that big, plastic black ball with a little clear window? You would ask some dumb question and then turn it around until a very cryptic message appeared in the window. It never gave a definite answer, so I finally and definitely tossed that worthless toy out very quickly.)Best regards.Luis

Luis,You just gave me a reminder as to WHY I keep my 450 MHz desktop computer running on Win98 with my Voodoo 5 video card installed.Thanks!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Not only would it run on those machines, Jerry, but it loaded right away, and still has the most stable flight models.If the developers had only given a thought to making it easier to add and modify the elements, it would have been much more successful. Also, tying it to the Voodoo card limited the market.Best regards.Luis

Yeah, but the Voodoo/Banshee family of 3Dfx video cards gave it much better video effects than the competitive video cards of the day. In my case, the AMD processors with 3D-Now instruction sets built into the main board CPU added even more speed and power in that day and age. AMD had designed those processors to be more efficient with the Voodoo/Banshee video cards.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN