Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 6 December 2004

From Avweb's twice weekly Newsletter of things aviating... Submitted to our "shouldn't you have better things to do" file... Tower: L39 N###, Did you guys get that contract with the post office? L39: Say again Ellington Tower. Tower: L39, We heard that the mail was going to be in the Czech. (pause) L39: ... Slow day, huh. Tower: (laughing) Sorry. Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You know Doc, some of us may not know what an L39 is. I was flying a 172 one day into Pompano Beach when I was living in south Florida and the plane that took off from there ahead of me as an L39. They make nice toys for those with the BIG BUCKS it requires to fly a jet.And for those of you who have not already GOOGLED to find out what an L39 is, http://www.l39.com/Oshkosh%20L39s.htm will show you what it looks like. They were built in the Czech Republic as jet trainers for Eastern Block countries.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry:Acquisition costs and operating costs for one of these Cold War howlers is probably a good bit lower than what it costs to run a P51 Mustang or similar US warbird. And from the Friendly Aviation Administration side of it, I think both require some pretty fancy paperwork to tootle around boring holes in the sky.I think I shall buy a locomotive instead. I have my M37 Dodge up for sale.Doc Bryant