Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Lights! My RV-9A is coming to life...slowly, but surely!

This was the day! The wiring is not completed, but enough was completed today for the lighting of the entire instrument panel for the first time! You can see three new pictures and read my posting at the following page:http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a083.htmNext comes the programming of the engine monitor.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wow! wow and wow! Jerry, this looks great. It must have been an encouranging sight to see all these panel items light up. You have been putting in some long days.I have not seen an overall picture of the fuselage in a while. Would you consider putting one on your site so that we can see how the entire airplane is looking?Best regards.Luis

Luis,You haven't missed anything. The confined space of the garage keeps the wings on the storage cart, and the tail is still OFF. The vertical stabilizer will not fit in place now that the airplane is on the landing gear. The horizontal stabilizer will still go on, but only if I roll the drill press table out of the way. The fiberglass cowl halves are stored in the corner of the kitchen, and the windshield is waiting patiently in a corner of the living room until ALL the avionics are in place. When that is all accomplished, the forward top aluminum skin will be put in place and riveted on. Then, and only then, can I fit the windshield, and put on the fiberglass layers that will streamline it to the fuselage and the sliding canopy.The fiberglass wing tips are upstairs in my bedroom and could be fitted with the wingtip marker lights and strobe units at any time. There is some fitting of the tips to the wings that needs some space and can be done easier at the airport.For now, the biggest changes are INSIDE the cockpit area and between the firewall and instrument panel. Thanks for your excitement on my project. It is that kind of feedback that keeps me going, and the stories from other RV builders who have taken to the air!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TNRV-9A 90622, N2PZ

Hi Jerry,Looks like a good start to a new year. Sometimes (Just for a very brief second :-) ),I think maybe I should build my own plane. Especialy after a recent five hour drive each way accompanied by my mechanic (who I was paying shop hourly wages)to look at a Cessna 210 that from the add and pictures looked like just what I want. After just a brief 15 minute look at the fuselage and wings, then pulling the carpet up in the aft baggage compartment and the side panels back while I took a quick look at the aircraft and engine log books, the mechanic said " Ed lets head back home you sure don't want this airplane even if you could get him to reduce the price". It would cost you close to 8000 to 10,000 dollars to fix it. So the $600 cost of a pre-purchase inspection was well worth it. It's amazing how many junk airplanes are out there that the owners have the nerve to ask top dollar for. But I guess it's no different then buying a used car, boat or even a house. Like they say "Buyer beware"So like Sony and Cher sang " The search goes on". Oh no that was "The beat goes on" :-)Regards,Ed Weber a.k.a Capn Tall/tallpilot

Ed,It sounds like you have your work cut out for you for the near future. The right airplane is out there for you, somewhere.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

The panel wiring allows the GPS 196 to communicate with the Smart Coupler in the autopilot. The other big news of the day is from Van's Aircraft: My avionics order shipped yesterday and should arrive here next Tuesday, January 18th. Read about in on page 84.http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a084.htmJerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Hi Jerry - I was looking back a few pages, and in Nov you were making the brake lines. I was wondering about that location being good, bad, or doesn't matter. Apparently VAN's is okay with it, and you didn't mention whether you agreed/disagreed with their location. Do you have any qualms about this ? I've seen some other types of aircraft that also have the lines on the front of the struts, but still wonder if the back isn't a better place. The perceived greater potential for any debris damage would appear to be a disadvantage with the front mounting.Dave H.

Ah, yes. I forgot to look at the other "Van's" aircraft pics - now I recall having seen those exact ones. But then I would've wondered just what was done to hide it all - now I know ! Thanks.Dave H.

After eliminating a couple of "cookie" problems, I see that I can still post here. Maybe I was never gone..... :DAnyway, I catch your website pics nearly every week. You've even completed a few areas that I hav'nt (and visa-versa), so I get a few instruction pics!L.Adamson

Is that Larry come back from the dead? What a relief! How about some pictures of your airplane, Larry?Best regards.Luis

>Larry,>>Glad I can help if I have "Gone Where You Haven't Been>Before".>>Jerry K. Thorne>East Ridge, TNThe pics, and the photo of the 3D drawings for the part that splices/connects the lower cowl to the engine mount/exaust area were especially helpful. My plans never had those "modern" 3D drawings, and I never got around to figuring what actually was required. And for Luis, I'll come up with a few pics someday............ if I can find something that's ahead of Jerry's progress :). Of course my panel is so outdated now, as I'd prefer a whole new "glass panel" setup!L.Adamson