Sign in to follow this  
Guest Capn Tall

Back in the saddle again

Well to paraphase the words from an old cowboy song, Cap'n Tall is "Back in the saddle again". ( So to speak) :-)Instead of Big Red, it's now "Lil Red". I'm now the owner of a 1977 Bellanca Super Viking. Went to Plainview, Texas last week and inspected the airplane and records and bought it. First leg of the trip back to Lake Havasu was from Plainview to El Paso, Texas. 2+30 minutes and some IFR in and out of the tops of the clouds at 10,000 feet. Weather beyound El Paso was stinko so I stayed the night there and watched the Super Bowl game. Yesterday in west Texas and on to home was better so I saddled up and two hours later stopped at Tucson, Arizona for gas and the mandatory pit (censored spelling) :-) stop and then 1+50 minutes brought me back to Havasu.So now any Pro Pilot family members that visit can get a ride in a wood wing and fabric covered airplane.Ed Weber a.k.a Capn Tall

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ed,Fill us in on the vital statistics, N-number, etc. I looked at the Bellanca Viking web site (http://home.att.net/~vikingdrvr/perf.html) and there are several engine combinations that were in use in that era. What is the HP on that mill and what kind of cruise speed are you getting?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Hi Jerry,The registration number is N9732E. It's a BL17-30A. The engine is a Continental IO-520-K which is rated at 300hp for 5 minutes on takeoff,then 285hp continuous. The manufacturer's sales info gives a cruise speed of 175kts at 75% power. I don't like to cruise at that high a power setting for these big bore engines so I use 65% power and I flight plan it at 150kts/173mph. It holds 75 gallons and at 65% burns 13 gallons per hour so it's a LOT cheaper to operate than the Barron.It flies real nice but it's not as stable as the Barron so it takes a little more work when flying instruments. The usefull load isn't the greatest. With four average size adults I can only carry two hours fuel + reserve and 40lbs of baggage but thats all my butt is good for these days anyway. :-)I've been keeping up on your progress and it looks great.Ed Weber a.k.a Capn Tall

Thanks for looking in on me. I hope to be flying off your wing some day later this year. I plan on making a stop at Sedona and then on toward California and you know where that goes...to your home field for lunch. Tell me again just how hot it gets in Lake Havasu in August? Maybe you should come over to visit me at Sedona up high (and cooler). I was thinking about doing a trip up into southern Utah for some photo runs on some portion of the Colorado River, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, etc. You probably know the best places for good aerial photography.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

If you've never been to Sedona you'll enjoy it. It's as close to landing on a carrier as you'll get in an RV. Land to the Northeast (uphill) depart to the Southwest (downhill) and a 500ft dropoff at each end of the runway. Oh and did I mention, don't forget to lean the mixture for takeoff. :-) My sister lives there and it's a great place for picture taking.If you make it out here try and plan on staying for a while and we'll go out on the lake and see the sights. :-rollEd

>Maybe you should come over to visit me at Sedona up high (and>cooler). I was thinking about doing a trip up into southern>Utah for some photo runs on some portion of the Colorado>River, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Arches, Bryce, Zion,>Grand Canyon, etc. You probably know the best places for good>aerial photography.>Lake Powell & the Moab/Arches does look great from an RV! BTW-- I like Ed's polished aluminum spinner. Ended up getting one for myself, as I felt my prop gap in the fiberglass one was a bit too big.Posting two pics. In two RV9A trips, we covered the Moab/Arches area, Colorado/Green confluence, Zions, Kolob Canyons, Monument Valley, Lake Powell --- Bullfrog to Page, and Marble Canyon on the boundary of the Grand Canyon. Very beautiful country, and it's what makes GA flying well worth it!L.Adamsonedit --- one more pic, Glen Canyon Dam

Larry,You nailed it with those pix! That is exactly what I want to see and more. Cedar Breaks NP is also on my list of places. I had an auto tour of the area a few years ago and want to get a new perspective from the RV-9A view point.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Capn TallShould have alerted me as Plainview is but a few short hours drive from me. And even shorter should the red lights get used!I used to run around the ramp at Plainview. There were always interesting things to be spotted there. Once I got to examine a Beech Starship that landed there. The pilots were quite proud of the beast as they did a few touch and goes before landing just to draw the curious in!Besides being a WW2 Glider pilot training facility, Plainview is a Mecca for Bellancas of all sorts.Doc Bryant

Congratulations, Ed. It is nice to see that you got a ride, and such a nice one at that. And the paint looks great.Best regards.Luis

Hello Doc,Going to Plainview was kind of a last minute plan. I had seen the airplane for sale on the web but I was looking at a Cessna 210 from Colorado that the owner had flown down here for me to look at. That deal fell through so I figured what the heck I'll jump on Southwest out of Vegas and go look at it. Next thing I know I'm a Viking owner. :-) I'll give you a holler if I'm going back to Plainview for any work on the airplane because as you indicated Miller Flying Servive is a beehive of Bellanca activity.Regards,Ed Weber a.k.a Capn Tall

Thanks Luis. The airplane exterior has a few little rough spots, but it looks good for a 28 year old airplane. I'm not one for surface glitter. I would much rather have a plane that's in good mechanical condition and rough on the outside than the other way around. I did have to find some space in a hanger to keep this airplane however as here in the hot sun is no place to park a fabric covered airplane outside. Not if you want it to last.Regards,Ed Weber a.k.a Capn Tall

I just sold my Deb off to Colorado a few weeks ago. Makes co owning the Baron that much better-but watching my baby of 11 years fly off with someone else at the helm into the sunrise was a bittersweet experience-as you well know....all those memories....90 hours in the Baron now though...Nice looking plane you got-! I am sure the fuel burn/operating costs look awfully good compared...I used to get 150 knts at 11.5 gal/hr. (sounds familiar :-))-maybe I will end up buying the deb back after the new owner restores her to museum quality (his project)-I am now shopping for fuel stops-something I didn't used to do.85 hours in the Baron now ...and loving it....though a good deal more expensive in all respects...but what a joy!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Geof,I went flying in an RV-9A with a friend of mine recently. It was really cool to see 160 knots on the meter at 2300 RPM and 23 inches of manifold pressure. I can hardly wait for my turn at bat with those numbers. I have a similar O-320-D1A engine with 160 HP that will do that on 8 to 8.5 gallons per hour. Pushing hard will show 168 knots, but that is not worth the extra fuel burn or strain on the engine. Both his airplane and mine have a Hartzell constant speed prop up front.http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a42de.htmJerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Hi Geof,I knew you would like the Baron. :-) My local AI asked me to fly one of his customers Barons from Havasu to Phoenix for some radio work. It has the colemil conversion with the 300hp engines and the Garmin 480 GPS along with the MX20 Sky Map. Boy what a dream to fly. Even got :45 minutes of actual IFR due to all the rain we've been having out here. If my wife ever hits "The Big One" in Vegas (I won't hold my breath) it's back to a Baron for me. :-)Ed Weber a.k.a Capn Tall