Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

100 pages of RV-9A construction!!!

A web site milestone along with a construction milestone. Page 100 shows the mating of the windshield to the fuselage for the final time with mounting screws and clips. The plexiglass is prepped for the fiberglass laminations that will bond the windshield to the aluminum skin and provide the overlap layers for the sliding canopy.http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a100.htmThe total of my airplane construction time is 1702.7 hours.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I postponed the fiberglass work session due to rainy weather and not wanting to put that stuff on in large quantities with the garage door closed (no ventilation). I worked on the propeller filler plates and they are visible at the link below to page 100.http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a100.htm#March7Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Pictures are posted from yesterday and an afternoon session today (Saturday). This is tedious sanding around the windshield on the edges of the fiberglass. I had to wear my leather gloves to avoid getting stuck in the fingers by fiberglass "hairs" sticking out of the edges here and there.http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a103.htmJerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I was curious how many folks here look at my personal aviation project web pages even on days when I don't post anything about updates here on this forum?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

>I was curious how many folks here look at my personal>aviation project web pages even on days when I don't post>anything about updates here on this forum?>Lately.............Every day! I Don't want to let you get too far ahead, you know... ;) Your web site keeps me pluggin along. I'm planning to take out the turn coordinator next week and put in one of those Trio EZ pilots for the wing levelor and GPS tracking. It uses the same servo as yours, so I went back to one of your older pages to check it out. When possible (funds), I want the new Trio altitude auto-pilot also. After some long cross-countries, I found that two axis A/P's are definately the way to go! Since we're both into these things over 70 grand, I suppose it's well worth getting them done..........isn't it! :D L.Adamson

Yeah, in for a pound for sure! I am going to fly the NavAid unit for a while and see how it does.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I'm following your project religiously, Jerry, but use your posts here in the PeoPilot forum to notify me when to look. I doubt I've missed a single photo of the project on your site.I don't know WHAT I'm going to do when it's finished. :-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

I have looked at a lot of other RV-builder web sites in the past two years. They turn into travel log documentary sites. Some have videos, others have large photo galleries, but they all serve to motivate others to join in, one way or another. Those of us lucky enough to be able to build, and those who experience our quest from behind the scenes. I guess we are a substitute for a television show. I bought one of those stick grips with all the trim buttons, but my airplane does not have any trim servos. The idea is that there will be a video camera in the airplane someday. All those buttons will operate the tilt, pan, and zoom of a wing-mounted camera. A digital video recorder camera will be up on the panel with a monitor screen that will allow me to see what is being recorded. The ultimate goal is to make movies with sound tracks that will be marketable to National Geographic Channel or the Travel Channnel.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Oh, well heck, that might be even more fun, Jerry! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/...y/xyxthumbs.gifOne of the unsatisfactory aspects of my life (and there's loads) is my lack of travel. Aside from one trip in 1966 to Madison, Wisconsin (through O'Hare), I haven't seen anything east of Tucson. I have seen a lot of California (with the exception of the northeast corner), and a lot of western Oregon and Washington. Tack on Las Vegas and Tucson and that's it for my travels. At this stage of my life I'm far too disabled to travel even to the local grocery store.I have really enjoyed the pictures Larry Adamson (I think it is?) has posted over time. If I can't see my country "up close and personal", then I'll be quite happy to see it in photographs.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

And I will only be TOO HAPPY to bring it to you Bob, by whatever means possible. I suppose I will have to find a way to stop by LA on my great "Western Tour" when that comes to pass. (date yet to be determined)Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I have been busy with the estate this week, meeting with the lawyer/CPA, and paying out some money to the beneficiaries. It relieves the worry about not having a regular pay check coming in right now. I can concentrate on finishing the airplane and look for a suitable job or become a self-employed contractor if need be.I got some work done on the airplane late today. (I spent the morning composing a letter to the estate heirs, and mailing it and some spreadsheets to all of them.) The RIGHT wing tip is completed and in the living room with the LEFT wing tip. You can see a new picture and get the details on this web page:http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a111.htm#April9Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

The dreaded glass work, but I'm rather happy with the results.Taped it all up Friday night, glassed Saturday, and took off the bandages this (Sunday) mourning. Pics below:And BTW- Regarding the 196/296 Garmin reference from your website, I remember getting the Garmin 195Map years ago (1997), figuring my plane would be done in a year or so! You'll be real happy with the 296 though.And thanks to a "painting" class Friday night at the EAA meeting, I'm now convinced to paint it while it's apart. It wasn't the original plan, but the single bay of my garage would make a good paint booth, if I seperate it from the rest. It's also an excuse to get one of those large tank compressors. Maybe my plane will be a 2006 instead of an 05.............now. :D L.Adamson

Jerry, The panel looks nice. That GNS 530 will fit right in when you hit the Power Ball. That is after I hit it and put one in the Viking. :-)We can dream can't we?Ed Weber a.k.a Cap'n Tall