Sign in to follow this  
Guest Robert_S

Oh c'mon, folks...

It shouldn't be this quiet in here. :-)I'll toss out a question... how do we get Meekal back? His presence here was mainly before my time, I doubt he even knows who I am. But while most everyone shows up at least once in awhile... the Porkster, Lindy, Ed Weber, and others, Meekal is conspicuous in his absence.Jerry... Aren't you going to miss that aircraft once it leaves your garage? You'll have to go sleep in the hangar! ;-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Howz Zatt?Think that will get them out of the woodwork?And no, when the airplane is out of the garage, it won't be on the ground for long. I am going to get it ready to put the wings on as soon as it gets to the airport. As soon as it is inspected and gets an airworthiness certificate, it gets flown! The test time should be 40 hours before I will be allowed to leave the "test area". Then I can go anywhere my funds will take me.OK, Meekal, come home! Doc, can you get the guy to show up?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

If I were not the first to suggest it, who would? Besides, with not many folks finding PP99 or dreaming of the aborted PP2000, what else would there be to talk about around here except the friendships we created when PP99 was the most advanced flight simulator around?OK, time to for you lurkers to check in again as Spring begins! Post time!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Me, a lurker?I have not heard from Meekal in some time. I shall have to have the Bat Signal shown on the clouds above Washington.Little else news here except my consulting job got switched to the Koreans and an Infomercial outfit. I am laughing over it. I fear my former clients will get taken to the cleaners. I am practicing my best look over the top of my glasses avuncular stare with deep voiced "I told you so" speech. Life is good!Doc Bryant

Hi guys... I'm here too. :-wave Haven't been simming at all for MONTHS but busy anyway.Jerry, I'm not following every step of your plane building project, but it IS exciting to think you'll have built your very own plane to fly. My hat is certainly off to you. :-jumpyI know that Porkster has been popping in here occasionally, but for some reason can't get logged back in to Avsim, so can't post anything. I'm not sure if he's given up trying or is still hoping to get things straightened out.It's now officially spring and today's weather here in Va. Beach is certainly proving it to be so........ finally. I'm glad to see the sun and feel some warm. :-sun1-Lindy :-rotor :-beerchug

Yep Cap'n Tall is still "on the scene". :-) (with smiles) It's spring break time here in Lake Havasu City and the area is bustling with students trying to out-party one another and seeing who can show the most skin without the local constabulary hauling them off to the hoosegow. Picture on the 11 o'clock news. :-0"Little Red" is doing nicely and despite the ever rising fuel prices I'm getting to fly it more than I did the Baron.Regards to one and all.Ed Weber a.k.a Cap'n Tall

FLYING more often, that is the ticket.Welcome home to you all. Now that the regulars are here, how long will it take for the rest to come in?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Spring? What Spring? It is blazing hot here thanks to global warming - 86 degrees! North Dakota is starting to look pretty good; what do they say about 40 below?Been getting some simulator time recently. Most of the time, I am busy designing the scenery, since the game looks nothing like reality.This is the ramp at my private strip just across from the house.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/110162.jpgAnd Amelia, ex-Miss Universe waiting for me with the SUV. She loves pilots!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/110164.jpgTook a spin at the local AFB with a trainer also.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/110163.jpgRoll call, did somebody say roll call! Oh, yes - present, sir.Best regards.Luis

Gee, Luis,I would think you must have a lot of time on your hands, just like me.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Count me present! Jerry, that windscreen bonding is indeed a project in itself. I've never worked with fibreglass, so this is quite a primer. It's interesting seeing the bonding of two dissimilar materials. I would have thought Van's would have come up with a different method - if anything, something with screws and gaskets would at least be easier to replace. I imagine the main problem with drilling holes in plexiglass, or whatever the windshield is made of, is that once a crack starts around a hole, it needs replacing quickly, at least in the airframe application. I've never really looked to see how a Skyhawk's or Cherokee's windows are attached. Guess I'll I'll take a look next visit to the airfield.Cheers, everyone ! - Dave H

>Count me present!>> Jerry, that windscreen bonding is indeed a project in>itself. I've never worked with fibreglass, so this is quite a>primer. It's interesting seeing the bonding of two dissimilar>materials. I would have thought Van's would have come up with>a different method - if anything, something with screws and>gaskets would at least be easier to replace.>> I imagine the main problem with drilling holes in>plexiglass, or whatever the windshield is made of, is that>once a crack starts around a hole, it needs replacing quickly,>at least in the airframe application. >The direct fiberglassing is the "easiest" technique. Some have made the fiberglass removeable with screws and a bonding agent holding it together. Others have made wooden forms to bend aluminum with compound curves for this application. I'm in the sheetmetal business, but still plan to go with the direct fiberglass route.In fact, my fiberglass is in shipment, but I'm waiting for Jerry to get done...................to see if there are any problems that I need to worry about! :D As to drilling plexiglass, if it's cold and you lay a drill bit next to it, it will crack. If it's nice and warm, you can beat the crap out of it with dull bits and nothing will happen! :) If a crack actually does occur, you can hopefully drill another hole to stop the crack from spreading.L.Adamson

The manual made the point vividly, 70 to 80 degrees or better for the drilling of plexiglass. The pilot holes are put in using the small #40 drill bit. The holes are enlarged using a special long-pointed plexiglass bit. The final sizing after countersinking is done using a small unibit. The holes in the plexi are a bit oversized for the blind rivets that hold it to the canopy frame. On the windshield, it is a similar story, but because the aft edge of the windshield has to align with the plexi on the canopy, screws and spacer washers are used to do the trick.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I used the special plexi bits too. Didn't want to take a chance on ruining a canopy that use to cost $700.00, and probably more now.I did mine two years ago, but I'm a very slow fiberglasser! L.Adamson

You gotta start sometime. Jump into it the way I did. It will get done a little at a time. Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN