Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 4 April 2005

From Avweb's twice weekly on line newsletter....Short FinalOverheard while flying through Chattanooga, this exchange with approach control and an aerial photo operation...Skylane 12345: Chattanooga we would like to take pictures of the Chockamauga Dam, one rolling to right and one to left.Control: Approved. Maintain VFR.Skylane 12345: Chattanooga, we need to climb to 10,000 to take a couple more.(short pause)Control: Approved, maintain VFR.Skylane 12345: Chattanooga, we would like to shoot one more from the south.(longer pause)Control: DAM photo approved.Unknown: Bet he wont ask again.Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I thought that words like that were forbidden on the airwaves. Where is the FCC when you need it?Best regards.Luis

OK, you got me going on this one, Doc. "CHOCKAMAUGA"Did you mis-spell the word CHICKAMAUGA or did it come from Avweb with that error? And the other thing, the picture from 10,000 feet would require contact with Atlanta center since it is above the Class C airspace for Chattanooga approach. I use my scanner to listen to those guys on many days when I am working on the airplane here in the garage. The Chattanooga airport is about 2.8 miles away, while the local transmitter from Atlanta Center is 16 miles away on Signal Mountain.Chickamauga Creek passes less than half a mile from my place on its winding course toward the Tennessee River, passing the Chattanooga airport. It flows into the river just down stream from the dam.After the battle of Chickamauga in 1864, the creek was said to have run red with blood. The civil war battlefield is on old US 27 between the present-day towns of Fort Oglethorpe and Chickamauga, Georgia -- south of Chattanooga, Tennessee.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Hi Jerry -Now "I" have a question. It's my understanding that ZTL basically controls 14K on up, except for those areas where any given TRACON just doesn't have radar/radio coverage. I have talked to ZTL for Flight Following when I get real south of ATL, and know a controller there who says he does work a lot of VFR below 14K. So, I know it's definitely not out of the norm for ZTL to work below 14K. Are you saying there is no TRACON coverage from 10K and higher around Chattanooga ? I'll read my AFD when I get home.Thanks - Dave H.

No, that is not what I said. What I was saying was that Chattanooga Approach does not work anything above the Class C airspace around the airport. ZTL does all the rest of it above that altitude or outside it when an IFR flight plan is active. You get VFR service as controller time permits through the low altitude controllers on a different frequency from the big boys up high! I can hear both high and low altitude ZTL controllers from the Signal Mountain (TN) outlet received here at home on my scanner. And being less than three miles from the Chattanooga airport, I can hear tower, ground, ATIS, and approach control also. I can even receive the Choo Choo VOR which is in the opposite direction from the airport, also just a few miles away on a hill top adjacent to US 41 in Catoosa County, Georgia.And a reminder to you, IF I wanted to fly VFR on oxygen, I could go up to 17,500 feet and NOT talk with controllers at ZTL. But that would be foolish since there are some pretty fast airplanes up there that are bigger and heavier than my 1500 to 1900 pounds of airplane, avgas, and me aboard. ALL flights above 18,000 feet must be on an IFR flight plan.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry:The error crept in on little cat's feet somewhere else. Not with the copy and paste method that I used. This mistake just shows my theory of history and important events would be more useful to us.You see, I think behind every major event in history there is a fellow named "Bob." Unsung through time immaterial. So why not start examining history for these unsung heros.Replacing Chickamauga with this unsung hero's name would make it easier for even locals. "Turn right heading 050 over Bob's dam till you intercept the localizer, cleared for the approach..." is so much easier to say.Here in West Texas we understand this. Probably the finest in hamburger, cheeseburgers and Double Bacon Bypass Burgers are made at "Bob's Better Burger." Bob's has been around so long that what dinosaurs that did not turn into medium weight crude had to have been served up with fries and a chocolate malted milkshake. Those in the know have told me Bob was a dab hand with Pterodactyl wings too. You know, the wings bigger than Buffalo!Doc BryantDealing with Chickamauga, Chik-Fil-A, and my little Chickadee!

>>Dealing with Chickamauga, Chik-Fil-A, and my little Chickadee!>And if you're in Marietta, GA (NW side of ATL), you'll also have to deal with the Big Chicken.www.bigchickenchorus.org/BigChickenLandmark.htmlDave H.

Dave,Nice piece of sleuthing to find that article online. I lived in Florida for 24 years from 1977 until January 2001 and was not aware that the whole place had been demolished and built anew from scratch.Doc,I hope that Bob's is still around when I come calling in Midland, Texas some day soon. Of course, that will be after the airplane flies, since that will be my mode of transportation for that trip.And I see you are giving away your fondness of old W.C. Fields and Mae West movies.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

No Jerry,just flirting with alliteration, predominantly consonantal to brighten up your dayDoc Bryant

Thanks Jerry, but I really just got lucky on this one. It was the second link on a search return of "big chicken marietta". I was, however, pleasantly surprised to quickly find an article that was concise and also with a decent picture. It did ruffle quite a few chicken feathers when they initially said they were not going to rebuild the chicken part of the building.And now, if I need one, I know where to get a barbershop quintet should the need arise. I don't know if you looked at the main pages of the link, but bigchickenchorus refers to barbershop singing. Sounds right up Doc's alley.Dave H.

Wow.From a Chicken joint to deciding that I like Barbershop singing. Nevermind the fact that there is a player piano in the living room.Nor concern yourself with on occasion I seranade Brother Maynard with snippets of old vaudeville songs or more infrequently "Everybody Ought to Have a Maid" from "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to The Forum."Happily for his aging ears, I sing more and more like the late George Burns. And better yet, I can easily resist the karioke craze. Never done it, never will!About the worst I have done is stand up at a minor league baseball park and salute the visiting team's departing pitcher with the David Lee Roth version of "Happy Trails to You." I was quite proud of those performances with Barry Sykes, Mike Hopper and others singing backup and chorus.Doc Bryant