Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 18 April 2005

From Avweb's twice weekly on line journal of things aviating! One chilly day last winter, after one of the many snowfalls, the crews were diligently working on keeping the runways clean at Syracuse's Hancock International Airport. The ATIS had the usual warning about snow-covered surfaces. As I was taxiing to the runway, I heard the following conversation between the tower and a landing airplane: Airplane: You guys need to get some snow melters like they have over in Buffalo. Tower: We do have one. (Pause.) It's called July 4th. Airplane: I thought that was just a bad day for ice fishing. Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Doc,I can relate to that exchange between the tower and the pilot. Although my personal example was not part of a radio message. In Quebec City, the line goes: "What day is summer this year?"Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry,I can relate to that. During my oil patch time, I was sent to Dickenson, North Dakota. In January. My office asked me what I knew about Dickenson so they could help me get prepared. I replied, "Well, isn't that the city where if summer comes on a Sunday, they have a big picnic?"Dickenson was cold, but no colder than Casper, WY or Thermopolis, WY. As far as I am concerned, nothing was colder than being on a drilling rig in an ice storm in February on the Cowden Lease outside Odessa, TX.That was just plain ugly.Doc Bryant

I really feel for you guys. I lived in Chicago in the coldest years of last century - 40 below and it was the record for 2 years in a row. I thought that was cold, but North Dakota is bound to be much colder.Best regards.Luis

That joke about what day is summer in Quebec City was told when I visited there to install a satellite uplink in February. The snow was quite deep alongside the clean streets. I had my liner inside my long overcoat. I was wearing my old combat boots with two pairs of wool socks. Yep, it was nasty all right!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN