Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

MOVING DAY at last is HERE!!!

Wednesday, April 27th, is the day the airplane gets moved to the Collegedale Airport. I have the hangar key in my pocket, the rent is paid for May, and the flat-bed tow truck is all arranged. A few details remained, and some of them were addressed this evening. The rest of it will be finished in the morning.http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a117.htmEarly morning rain showers are in the forecast, with clearing weather after lunch time tomorrow. I will have some pictures for you tomorrow in my nightly posting.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It is 8:25 AM, the SUN is shining, birds are singing, and I am getting excited! I have some things to do before time to move. Got to get going down in the garage. See you guys later!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Sounds great Jerry.I've got the beer cooling in the frig and the Viking is fueled for a flight. :-) What time can I expect your arrival? Ed Weber a.k.a Cap'n Tall

Ed,I just got off the phone with Van's number ONE CFI, Mike Seager. We have scheduled my transition training on the RV-9A for June 1 & 2 at the Scappoose, Oregon airport. I have all the month of May to finish the wiring and get the bird ready for the airworthiness inspection. The insurance company wants FIVE hours dual training before I take off in my machine. I get a BFR at the same time I get the transition training.I will be using my Delta Airlines frequent flyer miles for the first class round trip to Portland, Oregon. I leave on my birthday, May 31st. Getting to Lake Havasu for lunch will be in August, the week before the Labor Day holiday if all goes as planned.Between my return from Oregon, and departure date to the west, I have to fly off the 40 hours of test time, and get the airplane painted at an aviation paint shop nearby.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Geeze, Jerry, it was like witnessing a birth. I had to dry my eyes a few times.What a glorious day for you! :-beerchugDo you have any idea how the time spent by you on the project compares to expected time, if there's any such figure? To me, it seems like you accomplished it quite fast, but that's just a gut feel.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Jerry,After a couple of hours looking at both paper maps and internet maps, I can't quite figure out how far it is from your place to Collegedale airport. I found the aiport, all right, but no map that I looked at had a mileage scale.How far are you from your airplane, in time and distance? And by time I mean via automobile, not tow truck. :-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Glad to see that the "move" was successful.I saw that the grass on your lawn looked well-kept despite yourtime-consuming airplane-project. :()And the asphalt-roads seems to be in very good shape to.This time of year, the roads in Sweden are terrible, alot of frost-damage due to thawing of the ground. (I hope you understand my attempt to write english..), i have a swedish-english translating-web-page to my help.Looking forward to follow your project.RegardsMats / Sweden

A map from my place to the Collegedale Airport should be attached below. Looks like it worked. If you look at the map, it uses Interstate highway 75 for the shortest possible distance to the airport by road. Look just bit west of I-75 and you will see a red local road that goes over to US 11 on the map. We took that route allowing us to have very low speeds for safety. The exit where the green route gets off the interstate is where we crossed back under the super highway for the final part of the route to the airport, as shown on the second map.As for the project time, I have talked with a number of builders with flying airplanes over the past few years. I have heard numbers from 1800 to 2500 hours of construction time.The "big airport" near the entry "Shepherd" is the Chattanooga airport KCHA.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

As for the green grass on my lawn, I live in a townhouse as a renter. I don't maintain the lawn, I just pay rent.And there is no permafrost at latitide 35 north. And there is not enough prolonged freezing periods of time to damage the roads here. About 600 miles north of here, things can be as you described, with the roads taking a beating in the winter. I am talking about states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and others on that latitude. We had a very mild winter this year. The lowest temperature HERE was 15 degrees F for a few hours on a cold night. There was no snow at all this year. In January 1966, we had 10 inches of snow that lasted for about 3 days before it melted away. The real nasty winter weather for us is when we get an ICE STORM. In 1993, there was a "white hurricane" blizzard that came up from the Gulf of Mexico. I lived in Florida that year, but heard about it from friends who lived around here in those days.Don't worry about your English skills. You are doing just fine. And by the way, my flight instructor for the majority of my student pilot days down in Florida in 1992/93 was Ola Nilsson. He has been here so many years, and from such a young age, his spoken English has an American accent.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Thanks, Joe!And it has a mileage scale. I can't quite figure why every map I looked at last night had no scale. One paper map of Tennessee did, but it was too small to figure out distances that short, and it didn't show East Ridge anyway. A small insert did show East Ridge and Collegedale, but no scale![table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003