Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

And now for something completely different...Short Final

No airplanes were built during the cutting and pasting of this edition of "Short Final." Brought to you by those wonderful folks at Avwebdotcom. Your twice weekly ezine for things flying.Short Final While flying into Cheyenne one spring day the tower anounced to pattern traffic... Tower: Piper 1234 be aware of a flock of birds off of runway 12. Piper 1234: Tower, we have birds in sight off our right wing. Tower: Piper 1234 can you deternime what kind of birds they are? ...Geese? Cessna 567: Tower we have a flock of cranes off of our left wing. Tower: Cessna 567. Can you tell what kind of cranes? (pause) Piper 1234: They appear to be unlit cranes. Unidentified: Had that one coming... See what happens when they miss a week? I wax absolutely poetic upon their return!Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I wondered why you did not post the humor last Monday. They were deficient, not our favorite Doc!Thanks, Doc! We needed a something really different. Anybody flown ProPilot 99 lately?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

>Thanks, Doc! We needed a something really different. Anybody>flown ProPilot 99 lately?>>Jerry K. Thorne>East Ridge, TNYes, indeed, last Fri night. Cartersville, GA to Gatlinburg, TN.However, what I've started a while ago to get more practice using a Garmin 430 and 530 (the Diamond's I'll soon be renting have these - DA-20 a 430, DA-40 has both) is simultaneously running a Garmin 430 simulator, available from Garmin's web site. I enter the flight plan in the the 430, and just fly PP99 over the same route. I adjust the 430's speed to match PP99's plane's speed, and I can usually keep the two sim's within 5 miles of each other without trying too hard. You can always pause PP99 or change the 430's speed to zero, whichever one's fast. I change PP99's nav radio's accordingly.I sometimes run both sim's on the same PC, but the drawback is it's more practical to run PP99 in a window (no nice clouds) so both sim's are visible at the same time. Otherwise, I run PP99 in its full glory on one PC that I project onto my 80" wide/60" tall screen, and run the Garmin sim on a laptop to the side of the CH yoke (or joystick, if I really want to emulate the Diamond's - they are stick & rudder).For those who haven't tried them, go to www.garmin.com/aviation , and there are about a dozen little paragraph's of items, one called Free Simulators with a silhouette of a person with a scarf flapping in the breeze. There are 3 downloads -- 430, 530, and GNS 480 (formerly an Apollo unit). The 430 and 530 are actually the 400 and 500 series. Once you run the 400 series, you get your choice of the 400/420/430, and for the 500 series, 500/530. There is HELP provided.Although you can "fly" the Garmin's alone, once you get familiarized with the units you'll want to use them with a flight sim.Makes for great trip preparation.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA