Sign in to follow this  
David_FFC

Garmin 430/530/480 Simulators

Earlier this week JKT had asked the question "Anybody flown ProPilot 99 lately?". I replied but later realized the main reason for me replying wasn't in the subject line. I think some folks might enjoy using what's basically a fully-functioning real-world GPS unit PC simulator(s) with their favorite sim. It does not, unfortunately, link with any flight sim. But's it's still easy to use simultaneously. So, here's a repeat :>Thanks, Doc! We needed a something really different. Anybody>flown ProPilot 99 lately?>>Jerry K. Thorne>East Ridge, TNYes, indeed, last Fri night. Cartersville, GA to Gatlinburg, TN.However, what I've started a while ago to get more practice using a Garmin 430 and 530 is simultaneously running a Garmin simulator with PP99. They are available from Garmin's web site, www.garmin.com/aviation. The Diamond's I've been getting familiarization training in, and will soon be renting have Garmin's - DA-20 a 430, DA-40 has both. I enter the flight plan in the the 430, and just fly PP99 over the same route. I adjust the 430's speed to match PP99's plane's speed, and I can usually keep the two sim's within 5 miles of each other without trying too hard. You can always pause PP99 or change the 430's speed to zero, whichever one's fast. I change PP99's nav radio's accordingly.I sometimes run both sim's on the same PC, but the drawback is it's more practical to run PP99 in a window (no nice clouds) so both sim's are visible at the same time. Otherwise, I run PP99 in its full glory on one PC that I project onto my 80" wide/60" tall screen, and run the Garmin sim on a laptop to the side of the CH yoke (or joystick, if I really want to emulate the Diamond's - they are stick & rudder).For those who haven't tried them, go to www.garmin.com/aviation , and there are about a dozen little paragraph's of items, one called Free Simulators with a silhouette of a person with a scarf flapping in the breeze. There are 3 downloads -- 430, 530, and GNS 480 (formerly an Apollo unit). The 430 and 530 are actually the 400 and 500 series. Once you run the 400 series, you get your choice of the 400/420/430, and for the 500 series, 500/530. There is HELP provided.Although you can "fly" the Garmin's alone, once you get familiarized with the units you'll want to use them with a flight sim.Makes for great trip preparation.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks, Dave. I had the 430 about 3 or 4 years ago and had lots of fun simulating commercial flights at the flight levels. Never used it with another flight sim, just alone. But, after a while I got bored with airliners and came back to low and slow aircraft.Best regards.Luis

Sign in to follow this