Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for May 9, 2005

From Avweb's twice weekly compendium of things aviating....Short Final Overheard on approach to MCO... TWR: Traffic 12 o'clock, 2 miles, an Airbus. Airliner: Traffic in sight. (pause) And he'll be happy to know his rudder is intact. Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Doc,That must have been right after that crash of the Airbus A-320 coming out of JFK a few years ago bound for the Caribbean.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I think that was an Airbus 300, the big brother of A-320/319.Ed Weber a.k.a Capn Tall

Doc,Where did you find that photo you posted?There seems to be nothing left of any structural members that were inside the rudder on that Airbus. The ragged edges of the rudder remnants look like fiberglass or a composite material that failed.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Found the picture on the web, it has been widely circulated. Google for it, there are a few others too. Rudder gone. Completely. Rudder made of composite material. So the Airbuses are shedding new technology, it could be said.Doc Bryant

Not that I will ever be going mach 0.8 or anywhere near that fast, but it does make me feel good knowing the structure of all my control surfaces and the airframe.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Should make you even happier you know the builder personally. Not some fellow named "Jacques" with a spotty work history.Doc Bryant

Yeah, I see that guy every day in the mirror. He gets older every time I see him. I am hoping a few hours of flight in an RV-9A will bring back that youthful attitude and vigor!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Well, you will know that isn't working when one night you walk away from your aircraft and you hear a voice saying, "Goodbye you old Pelican!"Doc Bryant

Sign in to follow this