Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 16 May 2005

From Avweb's on line and ezine of things aviating...Short FinalOverheard and unfortunately timely...Pilot: Unknown airport with Cessna 150 circling overhead ... Identify yourself! Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Doc,Good to see you back in top form again. That was posted only nine minutes after midnight.As for the subject matter, lost is LOST, anyway you slice it. I wish it had said if the lost pilot was over a towered-airport or one with just Unicom.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Avweb was in top form, not me. If they post early so do I. If they drag their heels, then so I.Doc Bryant

This joke would have been really funny if that pilot had been calling an automated Unicom.Best regards.Luis

That is called an ATIS, or AWOS, etc. Unicom is always the fixed-base-operator (FBO), aka human gas station attendant.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I can just see someone doing that, and expecting an answer.Doc Bryant

ATIS? Is that the one that is always getting your name wrong? As in, "Advise you have information, Charlie."Best regards.Luis

It's the one that encourages drunkenness."Tower, Cessna 123, we have Whiskey."

"Tower, Skylane 456, we have Sie***, and we're forcing them to release ProPilot 2000."Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Worse even, ATIS encourages family violence...."We have Pappa" or land grabbing, "We have Quebec"Not in the least to imagine yourself flying above Cape Cod, MA with a aviator who is a fan of the radio show "Amos 'N Andy"..."Ardis, do you be having the ATIS for OTIS?"Doc Bryant

There's a reporting fix somewhere near Boston named DRUNK. I can just imagine what a non-aviation person would think when he hears this exchange on the scanner:"Boston Approach, United 123 with you, we have Whiskey.""United 123, Approach, roger, report DRUNK."

I don't know exactly where it is, but that would certainly make sense.