Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 27 June 2005

From www.avweb.com's twice weekly email magazine of things flying.Welcome to EAA AirVenture, Oshkosh.As many know when you fly into EAA Airventure at Oshkosh you are asked not to reply to ATC radio communication -- just wiggle your wings and comply. While flying into EAA I heard the following conversation between a landing amphibian and the tower.Tower: Amphibian say parking.(pause)Tower: Amphibian say parking.(pause)Tower: Amphibian say parking!Amphibian: (In unsure voice) ... Parking.Tower: Super. Now -- where -- are you parking?Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That reminds me of the first day of basic training in the US Army at Fort Campbell, Kentucky in the summer of 1968. One of the smallest guys in the group from the reception station was "line number 1". When the drill sergents came to the "reception station" to march us down to the basic training company area, we were gathered in a field next to the reception barracks.The sergeant addressed the group with these instructions:"When I call your line number, you will stand up with your gear, shout out your last name, and fall-in over there with Sergeant Rollins. And remember: Your name is NOT HERE!"He called out "LINE ONE" and the scared little guy at the front of the line jumped up and shouted "NOT HERE" and the sergeants all died laughing, and so did we recruits. Then they ran us all the way down there and we assumed the "front leaning rest position" and noticed that my very new olive-drab baseball cap was soaked with my sweat dripping off the brim of the hat on the gravel covered pavement that had my hands on it in the company street. Ah, the joys of being 21 years old and in the army in the Viet Nam era.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry:I was in basic training at Lackland AFB. The Drill Instructor (a Sgt.) had just finished royally chewing out the recruit who was leading us in marching. He shouted at me, "Bryant, do you think you can take over for Recruit Doofus?" In absolute awe of the dressing down I and the flight had just witnessed replied, "Beats the everloving sh*t outta me Sir."I did not lead the flight in marching that day, or ever.One other marching memory. It was Day Two of training. We were out on the ramp, a rag tag bunch if there ever was such a thing. The Sgt's were questioning us on prior experience. "Who has prior service? One or two hands were raised and noted. "Now," he continued on, "Who of you was in ROTC training." Five or six hands shout proudly skyward so fast that if the arms were not encased in OD fatigues, I am sure they would have departed the bodies that hosted them. "Well, you people forget what you know. We don't march on the diagonal here in the Real Air Force. We don't do ANYTHING like you did it in ROTC." That was the last time the ROTC people smiled.Doc Bryant