Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short FInal for 15 August 2005

From those wonderful folks at Avweb.com, your twice weekly source for Aviation on the net.Short Final:All things considered, this might not be so far off...After a long flight, I was draining the sumps in an FBO's men's room where the urinals were crowded closely together.A wide bodied pilot pulled up behind me, surveyed the scene, and asked,"What is this, taxi into position and hold?" All right, Luis, this one's for you!Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You guys are giving me one heck of a reputation. Well, I suppose that I must live up to it!Did you hear about the constipated accountant?He couldn't budget.Did you hear about the constipated composer?He couldn't finish the last movement.Did you hear about the constipated mathematician?He worked it out with a pencil.Did you hear about the constipated Wheel of Fortune player?He wanted to buy a bowel.Incontinence Hotline...Can you hold, please?If you're an American when you go into the bathroom, and an American when you come out, what are you when you're in the bathroom?Eur-o-pean.A woman sends her clothing out to the Chinese laundry. When it comes back there are still stains in her panties. The next week she encloses a note to the Chinaman, "Use more soap on panties."This goes on for several weeks, the woman sending the same note to the laundry. Finally the Chinaman responded with, "Use more paper on ####."Pete walks into a store. He says to the salesgirl, "I want to buy some toilet paper."She says, "What color?"He says, "Give me white. I'll color it myself."A stuffy matron is with a new man in a top restaurant. The onion soup gets to her, and as the waiter is serving the main dishes she lets loose a bombastic ####. Trying to save face, she says to the waiter, "Sir! Please stop that immediately.""Certainly, madame," replies the waiter with a bow. "Which way was it headed?"A guy got on a bus one day and sat in the aisle seat beside an elderly lady. A few minutes later, he couldn't control himself and had to let loose a big noisy ####.Embarrassed, he tried to make conversation with the lady and asked her. "Do you by any chance have todays paper?"The lady looked at him and said, "No, but the next time we pass by a tree I'll grab you a handful of leaves."Two old women were sitting on a bench waiting for their bus. The buses were running late, and a lot of time passed. Finally, one woman turned to the other and said, "You know, I've been sitting here so long, my butt fell asleep!"The other woman turned to her and said, "I know! I heard it snoring!"What's dumb?Directions on toilet paper.What's dumber than that?Reading them.Even dumber?Reading them and learning something.Dumbest of all?Reading them and having to correct something you've been doing wrong.There was a husband and his wife sitting next to a drunk in a bar. Suddenly the drunk stands up and yells, "ATTENTION ALL" and farts loudly.The wife is extremely embarrassed, and the husband looks at the drunk and says, "Excuse me, you just farted before my wife." The drunks replies, "I'm sorry I didn't know it was her turn." And now, for some kid's potty humor:Q. What's golden brown and sits on a log?A. Winnie's Pooh.Q. Why did Tigger look in the toilet?A. He was looking for Pooh.Q. What did Piglet flush down the toilet?A. Pooh!Q. What would Snoop Doggy Dogg be called if he married Winnie-the-Pooh?A. Snoop Doggy Dogg Pooh.Q. Where does Eeyore go to relieve himself?A. Pooh Corner!Q. Why does Winnie have trouble cleaning his toilet?A. Pooh Sticks!Q. What do you get if you cross Winnie the Pooh with a donkey?A. Dhiarr-Eeyore!Q. Why is Winnie so fat?A. He has a lot of Pooh in him.Q. Why was Winnie so skinny when he got off the toilet?A. Because he let out all his Pooh!Q. What did the visiting school kids tell Winnie?A. We need to Pooh!Q. Why is Tigger always dirty?A. Because he plays with PoohI just hope that Tom doesn't stop by here and see this!Best regards.Luis

Luis,This place has been so dead lately, I think he has forgotten about us. I will say this much: We seem to be caught up on "potty humor".I just hope my recent experiences with N2PZ have been enough to keep the loyal PP99 forum members interested in this place.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Doc,With the way we three have been swapping posts here, maybe we are alone? You think it might be time for another ROLL CALL to wake up the troops?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I'm with you, Doc. Jerry's airplane project has kept this place alive for the last few years, and I figure we can still show support for him and his travels. And, we can always keep this forum as a place for friends to meet and swap tales. No, I see no reason to leave, and Tom is not kicking us out.Best regards.Luis

Ok - I'm here, and confess to constant lurking. Jerry, I've been checking out every page of your odyssey towards RV flight, and getting N2PZ "up to speed (pun intended)" to make it to Oshkosh. And the rest of the trip was a significant untaking, as you've mentioned. I felt like I had been over the Great Lakes, NYC, etc, myself. I can see the need for a little break.BTW, I've been meaning to ask, when I first read how high you've been flying, do you have an O2 finger sensor or some such simliar device, and do you have an O2 bottle ? I don't recall you mentioning oxygen at all, if I've read correctly.Cheers, Dave H.

You read correctly. I have never been a smoker and try to eat a sensible diet. I have talked to other pilots who complain of getting headaches at 12,500 and 13,500 feet. When I was in phase 1 testing of the airplane, I was also testing myself. I found that I could function quite well up to 13,500 feet, but do not plan to push my personal "envelope" any higher. Like all pilots, we have been warned and read about hypoxia and I did not notice any symptoms during my high flights. I was scrutinizing the color of my finger nails and kept active on the radio monitoring weather using the GPS "nearest" button to find the various AWOS, ASOS, and VOR weather information outlets during my flight.I just created a spread sheet showing the fuel burn vs. speed and altitude measurements I have been keeping since my first flight. Using the idea of keeping SIX gallons of fuel reserve, I put 30 gallons of fuel into the formulas and came up with these numbers.At 8000 feet (7500 East Bound or 8500 West Bound), the fuel burn at 2300 RPM and 23 inches of manifold pressure is around 8.5 gallons per hour at 180 MPH true airspeed. The no wind range of the airplane with those conditions is around 635 miles in about 3.9 hours.At 12,000 feet the numbers become 6 gallons per hour fuel burn at 165 MPH true airspeed. The duration becomes 5 hours and a range of 825 miles.And of course, when you consider a trip out west where I will be at 12,500 and 13,500 feet avoiding the mountainous terrain -- I think you get the idea of what I am working my way up to doing soon.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I still actually "read" what's written here, "nearly" every day...And of course, I've always followed along with Jerry's website.L.Adamson

> I was scrutinizing the color of my finger nails and>kept active on the radio monitoring weather using the GPS>"nearest" button to find the various AWOS, ASOS, and VOR>weather information outlets during my flight.Jerry, now that we have the 296's...................we can go for the Garmin 396's! :D I went up in a new Cirrus SR22 using the XM weather system on it's Avidyne glass panel. Couldn't believe how well the surrounding weather information was presented, in addition to airports hundreds of miles away. And all this, XM weather info, is available for the 396 also.My wife, said I can install the "old" 296 into the panel on the right side. Actually not a bad idea, since it's worthwhile having two running GPS's to make sure they agree with each other.Of course, available $$$ is a slight (actually more than slight) roadblock for me, but I'll work on it. In the meantime, think about adding a second axis altitude holding auto-pilot for your plane. It's only $$$ ;)L.Adamson

The Tallpilot is " Here, have been here and will be here" :-)Lil Red (Bellanca Viking N9732E) is undergoing first annual since it became my steed. Since it's an "owner assisted annual" I get to do all the manual labor. Open all the access panels and remove interior and floor boards. Grease the wheel bearings, landing gear and all other moving parts. Drain the oil and help do a compression check of the engine. Oh well you get the idea, busy,busy busy and a lot of dirtunder the finger nails.Cheers,Ed Weber a.k.a Capt Tall

It's nice to see Dave and Ed around. How is the flying coming along, Dave? And, Ed, do you do any cross-country with that pretty Bellanca?Best regards.Luis

Just did my first "owner assisted annual" on the Baron with my two partners (luckily not their first)-figured 120 man hours each....a new thing for me but what a learning experience. Had a nasty problem with the right engine airbox but was eventually solved. Like taxes I have a feeling next years' will come too soon!Amazingly-it has been flying great ever since! Since this was the first "owner assisted" for me I was very surprised when the wing didn't fall off and the engines didn't eat themselves up.....http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

I'm here, just about every day.Also at Jerry's site a couple of times a day, looking for new pictures. :-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

I'm here too. Say, Capt. Tall that's a mighty fine looking steed you've got there. Of course you know you'll have to start getting caps that read "Lil Red" now! LOL HI Geof...good to see you around. :-wave I haven't had time to sim for what seems like forever, but I certainly haven't forgotten my buddies here at Avsim and especially at Pro Pilot.-Lindy :-smooch:-rotor

Those intake air boxes on the Baron are not cheap either. That's if you can even find one.Doing an"Owner assisted annual" dosen't guarantee a "CHEAP" annual.When I removed the nose wheel to grease the bearings I found that the nose gear fork was bent. The axle had to be driven out of the fork. I sent the fork to the Bellanca factory in Minnesota to see if they could straighten it with heat but no luck. Sooooo they have to fabricate a new one for me at the tune of------$2000 and two week delivery time. :-( I think it was probably damaged by line people moving the airplane in and out of the community hanger I was in with one of those gas powered plane movers. I have now rented a hanger at another airport 30 minutes away where I can move the airplane in and out myself. The joy of owning an airplane. :-)Ed

Yes-the airbox quote was 5 grand-but not one available till November. Ours was deemed too many repairs to repair it again. Finally found a master welder that did it for $1200-a real bargain and it looks great-hopefully will last a while before cracking again.Annual ended up cheaper than I ever had with the Deb-but all that work-I kinda liked when I closed my eyes and gave carte blanche to my mechanic...Good luck on your fork!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

...he couldn't get re-registered (or whatever) at Avsim for some unknown reason. :-hmmm I know he's still around; he spends some time at a NASCAR racing discussion board. This place just isn't the same without him. As for Casey, he hasn't been here in forever. Maybe he got a life! :-lol-Lindy

This has been a pleasant surprise. This week's Short Final turned into a ROLL CALL and it seems to have brought out the faithful! As for getting a life, I could use one myself. I have spent a good part of today looking up jobs online in the Chattanooga area.It seems my friends need my computer skills and my aircraft construction skills, but no company out there seems to have a paying job that is taylored to my talents. By the time the weekend arrives, I should be posting some photos of my friend as he starts putting together the first parts of his Van's RV-8 tail kit.It is good to see that Doc, Luis, and I could bring all of you out of "lurking mode" and post something new here to give us a group participation again.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I really did not want everyone to stop posting because I used the term "thread creep" in my last posting. Let's see if we can get everybody aboard on the roll call!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Ok, Hello everybody..Mr Lurk request clearance towards avsim ProPilot forum via MSFS2004 at 0 feet.This sunday we are arranging a "yoke-by-yourselfe-day", or something like that, at our local flightclub. Trying to get peoples interested in start flying and get a PPL.Weather over here, right now..14011KT 7000 BR OVC003 17/16 Q1003=See u around..Mats / Sweden

I have added a new page with three pictures of NEWS about my airplane and the guy who has been giving me hangar space. He is starting an RV-8 tail dragger. He has been flying an Aeronca Champ for years and wants to get an RV going after seening mine flying. I will be taking him up on the first clear day. He wants to get his money's worth from a free flight in my airplane.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Sign in to follow this