Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

New flights in RV-9A - Enterprise...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Nice!I might be in Oak Ridge this Thursday through Sunday morning, departing out of TYS. Time to play trains!Doc Bryant

Doc,You have to give us a bit more information about your travel possibilities. Everybody knows by now that I am "gainfully UNEMPLOYED", but you seem to have trips with a pay off in the bank account coupled with some fun things to do along the way - - kind of like my life in the 1980's when satellite communications work took me all over the country.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry:The weekend of the 22nd is a meet for us collectors of railroad locomotive horns and such at Oak Ridge, TN. http://www.techscribes.com/sarm/horn_honk_2005.htmThis is the second year that we have done such an event there. What we do is everyone brings their horns so we can mount them on one of the Museum's locomotives. Then we trundle back and forth on their railroad blowing the horns and recording them. Friday morning we have seminars and a lunch at the site. Saturday, it's honking all day with a BBQ lunch.We had thirty or forty people there last year from all over the US and Canada.I won't know till Tuesday if I can break free to go, since my boss snuck out of town Saturday to Las Vegas for a seminar. At night, we hook up the passenger train and take a ride to the end of their railroad line. After that, we meet for dinner and a few drinks. Last year yours truly got well out of hand telling various jokes and stories. None of them politically correct.Rumor also had it that a small amount of pyrotechnics was lofted over downtown Oak Ridge.As your garage was full of RV, mine is full of horns and whistles. I don't know how many I have. I have seven or eight sets here in the house.Some of my horns are common as dirt. I do have one factory prototype, of which there were three made. And I have that Santa Fe steam whistle that was featured via a link from this site last year.I also buy and sell these horns, mostly to the benefit of museums. I am awaiting one horn in from a midwestern museum that I am sending to a museum on the east coast, along with three other air horns.These air horns go for anywhere from $100 to $2000 plus.So that's what I might be doing this weekend. If I go, I will have laptop and cell phone with me so that my boss can yank my leash if he so desires!Doc Bryant

We look forward to hearing and seeing your exploits from Oak Ridge. Take your digital camera and document the event for us.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry:I would think my august fellow residents of the Pro Pilot Forum would have to be really hard up for excitement in their lives to wish to view photodocumentation of a bunch of noisemaking loonies.It's bad enough that many of the railroad fan community are known as "GERF's" for "Glassy Eyed Rail Fans" and FOAMERS due to their foaming at the mouth at the mere sight of a train in the distant.Myself, when the door of opportunity at the AT&SF railway closed on me, I wanted a memento of my service. I settled upon a diesel locomotive horn. And I found out very quickly that the type I was accustomed to using was at the time a bit rare. So I bought one, direct from the manufacturer. A few years later, I discovered that there was a bunch of people that were interested only in the horns and whistles, and as an adjunct, the horns and whistles on power plants, steam ships and the like. And that this bunch even had a magazine that came out four to six times per year. Oh did I get hooked.I heard a type of steam whistle called a "steptop" due to its stair step design of the whistle bell as it was cast in either brass or iron. The Pennsylvania Railroad had many of these in three chime variant. So, I wanted one as I was a Pennsylvania boy. That never came to fruition, but I did happen to snag a AT&SF 5 chime cast iron steptop which I am led to believe is much the rarer bird. Even before I got a chance to hear what it sounded like, a fellow offered me $5,000 cash for it. Needless to say, I did not take him up on the offer.As I might have said before, I have no idea how many air horns I now posess. I even have one from an Australian locomotive that is alleged to sound like a very sick cat. But I know there are many collectors out there with far more horns than I have now or ever will.So, I might be at Oak Ridge this weekend. It will be really fun. Here is a blurb from the Knoxville News..Locomotive 'Horn Honk' scheduled Sept. 23-24 OAK RIDGE - The distinctive sounds of locomotive air horns will be echoing over the west Oak Ridge countryside Sept. 23-24 during the "Horn Honk,'' a national gathering of locomotive air horn collectors.This is the third consecutive year the event has been hosted by the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum, spokesman Barton Jennings said.Activities will include a swap meet, seminars and the sounding of air horns on museum locomotives.Collectors like the rural Oak Ridge setting next to the former K-25 uranium enrichment facility because they can sound their air horns without bothering many people, Jennings said.After the event, many of the locomotive horns will remain and be used on the upcoming fall color train rides, he said. For more information, call 865-241-2140 or visit www.southern appalachia.railway.museum. Doc Bryant

Not to worry about being further bored with train nonsense.I will not be heading out to Oak Ridge today. Other factors, one of them Rita, have made it impossible to be there.Doc Bryant

Whooooo!I got the word I was going to OR on Thursday afternoon. Got there Friday afternoon. Had way too much fun.Doc Bryant

That explains why we did not "hear" from you online over the weekend. But then someone "heard" from you in Oak Ridge, Tennessee I'll bet!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Ahh, it was an event!I wangled my way aboard an Eagle flight to DFW, and then to TYS. And then Hertz did not have the car I requested (Deville with Northstar engine) so I "settled" for a Volvo S80 sports sedan. Same price as the Caddy. It flew just like the Cadillac did last year. I made it from the airport to the honk site at light speed. And made a beautiful broad sliding entrance into the site. Which of course told all that "Hey, Doc made it from Texas!"We ran two night trains, one Friday and one Saturday from the Oak Ridge Atomic site to Blair, TN and back. I am sure all in the valley knew a train was coming! I did not have any of my horns on the train like I did last year. It was just too short of a notice for me to ship anything out there. I promised to do better next year.There were sixty or seventy of us there. It was a good time. We also ate well and had a super time.Flying back Sunday was an adventure. American Eagle decided that I screwed them over coming to Knoxville, so they tried to stick it to me in return. They wanted $1100 for me to fly back to MAF. I said no way and called a friend at Delta. She got me to DFW for $40. And I paid $140 at DFW to fly back to MAF via the Eagle again. All told, using the unused ticket I had plus the $180 gave me a total of $697 in air fare for the round trip.Riding through the Gaseous Diffusion plant (what's left of it, they are tearing it down and cleaning up the site) was interesting. I have a great many friends in the atomic business, so what I saw was pretty familiar to me. They are pretty careful about that place, as M16 toting guards are all over the place. And now, back to semi normality. Everyone is on alert here for Katrina cleanup duty, so the next two weeks should be interesting.Doc Bryant

Indeed it was fun. Too bad I did not have any low order explosives with me like I did last time. The red glow and red smoke over Oak Ridge late that Saturday night added just the right touch!Next year I shall try to do better in that regard. Also in the booze category. I had to suffer through with Ketel One vodka or Grey Goose as I did not bring a bottle of Kelt Cognac for snake bite treatment.Doc Bryant

Who said it was an anti-venom? Drink enough of it, and you'll see snakes. Don't drink enough of it, and you'll worry about stepping on a snake when you're in the wild!Doc Bryant

My web site is temporarily shut down until Saturday, October 1st when it will resume normal operation.(Nothing is going on worth publishing now anyway.)Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Things are back to "normal" at www.n2prise.org and I am going flying today. More about when I post photos this evening.You can see some pages I posted just after 7 AM this morning. The "What's New" box on the home page has links to those new pages.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Sign in to follow this