Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Not going anywhere? How about a ROLL CALL?

The ENTERPRISE is SPACE DOCK and the crew is on SHORE LEAVE. There are no WHITE RABBITS in sight, not even a King Air or Japanese ZERO.So, let's have a roll call, it has been a while and it should be a good time to find out what our members are doing, wherever they may be. Please check in, remind us what part of the world is YOUR HOME, and tell us what you are up to now as the colder weather is approaching.Since you have all been looking in on my exploits via my web site, you what I have BEEN doing. I did get a call yesterday from a prospective employer and he requested my current resume. We shall see what happens next...ONE! I'm still here! (Can I get a TWO, THREE, FOUR, etc?)Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm here! :-waveOr "TWO!", as requested.My corner of the world... that would be about a quarter mile south of Los Angeles International Airport. Yes, you CAN hear it from here. :-)What have I been doing recently? Trying to recover from my mom's passing at the end of May. She was essentially a daily companion of mine from the day of my birth, and losing her is incredibly tough.Colder weather? This is southern California, what's "colder weather"? :-lol[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

I'm here, I'm here. Let the banners unfurl and the people cheer!Doc BryantThe Old Same Place

Finally, I am here. Phone has been fixed after various problems for over a month.Now that the cold weather is finally arriving (!), I am turning down the ceiling fan from high speed to low, but I am still in a t-shirt. I hope to move on to a short-sleeve shirt as the months go by.We are in the avocado seasonhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/131822.jpgI am awash in avocados! And the mandarin oranges are coming in.The hibiscus and anthuriums are in full bloom, as are the pink roses. Yes, Fall is a wonderful and colorful time of the year.Best regards.LuisOh yes, FOUR!

Bob,I know that a cold wind can come off the Pacific Ocean in the area around LAX, I have been there, done that.Doc,I know where you hang out now as we all know, but of course you forgot to mention to any "newbies" that may stop by here that you are in the Midland, Texas area. (We could use a couple of newbies here!)Luis,We can see by your photos that you are somewhere tropical, but again, you did not mention the Dominican Republic! Some "newbie" might think you were in South Florida and suffering from a recent hurricane. By the way, has your phone been out of service due to a hurricane? Or is it just that "manana" lifestyle down that way. (I tried to pull up the n with the ~ above it, but I could not enter one of those ALT numeric codes in the editing window.) And I apologize for leaving out some words in my post above. The brain is working faster than the fingers on the keyboard. At least they are still working!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry,At my size, I hang out everywhere.Where I hang out most? Here in electron land. A person, newbie or otherwise is more likely to find me at a computer than most anyplace else. Even the cigar store comes in second to being planted in front of a computer.Doc Bryant

Luis,With all the photos you have put up here, that is the first time I remember you putting up one showing the beach. It looks good!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Do you know, Jerry, Mats came here on vacation some months ago and I was hoping that he would show his pictures of the Dominican beach.Best regards.Luis

If I came to visit I would show pictures of Cigar Factories. And Brother Luis's noble dog!Doc Bryant

This early turnout shows that the "others" don't drop by very often. I wonder what we have to do to get them to sign-in and take part in this thread?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I am looking forward to visiting those cigar makers myself, Doc. No young girls rolling cigars on their bared thighs, that is all in the past. Yet, it must be a fascinating thing, the bunches of leaves drying in the sheds, the fermentation rooms, picking and cleaning, then the final masterly rolling with a pungent aroma wafting through the room. Someday, someday.Best regards.Luis

Nope! I am not buying any votes here.I miss the good old days when there were flame wars -- not really. L. Adamson is posting over at vansairforce.net where I also contribute to the forums on Van's RV airplanes.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

The good old days. We had something to talk about then. It was, I think, a flight sim program. And it's gone. Next?Doc Bryant

Great pictures, Mats. Many thanks for showing them to us.Thus, with so many in this forum flying, this really is the pro pilot forumBest regards.Luis

Luis,I would not call us professionals since I don't have a commercial rating, but we are certainly NOT simulating flight in our exploits. I guess my only flight simulation today is my web site as I post the results from my travels.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Here! I check here at least twice a week. Still following Jerry's latest travels, and now, "Young Eagles" flights! Did you do any of that before N2PZ ?Me, I just fly about once a month in FFC's Diamond 20's (which are "officially" logged as a DV-20, not DA-20, which apparently is another type of aircraft). I tried to use a DA-40 this summer, but some tstm's arrived at the airport the same time as I.About 6 weeks ago, my friend Scott flew down from Cartersville, GA, to FFC, and I was going to fly us to Columbus, GA and back in a DA-20, but during the runup the oil pressure gauge needle decided it was only going to just barely get into the green. It was just fine during startup and taxi.Well, when reducing back to idle it definitely was not in the green, so we taxied back, hoping the gauge was just wrong, and that we were not spewing forth oil or getting ready to ruin the engine. (It was later determined to be a "not tight enough" wire on the gauge.) So, we hopped in another DA-20, and it wouldn't start. You're not supposed to crank it for more than 5 secs at a time (rough on the starter). After going through the "in case you've flooded it" steps, 3 times, and 10 minutes later, we called it quits, and Scott flew back home.This was the first time I've had any trouble at all with any of the Diamonds. They do get a lot of airtime. But the 2nd one we tried is pretty new, with only 200 hrs. Oh, well. Live to fly another day.Dave HFayetteville, GA

Now, lets see, I am heading to Florida for the weekend. FFC is somewhere between me and Florida. Could it be that Enterprise will find its way to KFFC on the way home next Sunday afternoon? What do you think, Dave?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TNjkthorne@comcast.net

Dave,I tried calling both your phone numbers yesterday with no success. With the weather going down in your area, I chose a route around the EAST side of Atlanta and got home around 3 PM. I had some marginal VFR conditions between Atlanta and my home field. I was familiar with the area and could see some gaps in the clouds that were in the gaps in the ridges South of Calhoun and Dalton. I was parked in front of my hangar at 3 PM Eastern time. The guys at the Macon flight service station were very helpful yesterday!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry,Glad you made it back okay.Well, I screwed up and the 2nd number I gave you was my WORK number (discovered that this morning at work listening to your msg). Now I'm glad the wx wasn't so good. I even had a complimentary welcome gift for you - no, it's not a Garmin 396, sorry.When I looked at the wx yesterday at 10 am I figured you were most likely going to bypass a stop at FFC anyway, in order to get home before the clouds made it impossible. There were many levels of clouds to choose from, eh ? 1800 OVC around Anniston, 2800, 3500, 7000 FEW/SCT/BKN/OVC around here and everywhere along your route, with not many breaks in the clouds. Oh yeah, and the rain in spots. And it was only going to get worse. I don't know how many wet grass-field landings you've done, but I knew you were probably trying to get ahead of that, too.Our lowest ceilings (with a light sprinkle) was around 2 pm.Funny thing, around 3 pm I was changing anti-freeze in my daughter's car, and the sky was starting to break up a bit, and heard this plane coming from the south, with a more powerful engine sound than a 172 or Cherokee, coming from the direction of FFC at about 1500 AGL then heading straight northward just east of my driveway, was a mostly white Van's aircraft, could have been an RV-9, and I was looking for some gold, but only saw little red accents. Thought it was you for a second, but realized, besides no gold paint, and the likelihood that you wouldn't be departing from FFC to the NE and then north, that you would've been long gone by 3 pm if you were to beat the wx back home. It sure was wasting no time making a break for it - I'd guess around 150 mph as it went by.Next time.Cheers, Dave H.

No, that certainly was NOT me. I have posted photos and maps of GPS ground tracks of parts of the return trip. I flew past Atlanta on the EAST side of town. You can see all the details on my web site at www.n2prise.org.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Sign in to follow this