Sign in to follow this  
David_FFC

PP99 External View

A couple of months ago I discovered a convenient external view feature which some of you might already know about. I haven't checked the manual since finding this, but I don't recall reading about it either.From the time I bought PP99 to a couple of months ago, I was a little frustrated using the external views, because some of the them had a view from beneath the plane, viewing towards the plane, with no apparent way to get any land to show -- no way to to be positioned at the plane's level or higher. Only 2 views were from above the plane. This was very noticable once the plane was airborne. Of course, when the aircraft was on the ground, all views were at the plane's level or higher.Let me interject here that to move around the plane in external view, I use the round "hat" button. Both my joystick and yoke have one.I found, just by playing around one night, that if one holds down either SHIFT key , THEN move the hat forward or back, you'll go up-dee-dee-up-up, and down-dee-dee-down-down (OK - how many can name that movie? I think I spelled the phrases close enough). Move it left and right, and it moves differently as well, in a good way. Now all external views can be adjusted to just about any position.Due to PP99's limited outside view "inside" the cockpit, the external views are much more like real-world VFR navigation. It displays what you really see out the windows, because in the real world you can move your head around in the cockpit in more directions than PP99 lets you do, and in a smooth, continuous motion, unlike PP99's incremental movements. It's a nice surprise that so many small lakes are modelled in PP99. It's missing a few real-world airports, though (not talking about military, of which it has none at all that I can tell).CheersDave H.Fayetteville, GA

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>I found, just by playing around one night, that if one holds>down either SHIFT key , THEN move the hat forward or back,>you'll go up-dee-dee-up-up, and down-dee-dee-down-down (OK ->how many can name that movie? I think I spelled the phrases>close enough). ### Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines... ###I've got it on DVD, and it wasn't as good as I remembered it. Maybe I've just gotten too old. Great aircraft, though! :-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

It still is a great movie. It had Gert Frobe AND Benny Hill.What more could one want. Oh, and it had a steam train.And a Red Skelton cameo.Not as good as you remembered it? Bah.Doc Bryant

>>Not as good as you remembered it? Bah.>It's been a few years, and I have this on 12" Laser Disc; but the last time I watched it ------ I still enjoyed it!My all time favorite, is still "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart. And catch those recently re-released John Wayne aviation flicks, if any of you haven't.L.Adamson

You know that Jimmy Stewart did his own flying in that movie. He was a B-17 pilot over Europe in WWII. He was in the Air Force Reserve at the time SAC movie was filmed.Carswell is no longer an Air Force Base, but MacDill is still an active base in Tampa.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I really loved those old wood airplanes in the movie - none of these sleek aluminium jobs that you guys have built. Always wanted to go flying in one of those, although never above any body of water of considerable size.Best regards.Luis

Well, it really isn't like Gilligan's island, although it is surrounded by water. Pretty big for an island, and there are even many people here who have never seen the sea!But, anyway, can anybody who has that video please identify or post pictures of the airplanes? I have an image in my mind of some very fascinating birds.Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis,Since my movie is on VHS, it would probably be easier if I found you a copy of the film on DVD and sent it to you.Doc Bryant