Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeSS

Back to ProPilot 99 for a moment . . .

I've got an old Compaq PII 400, not a bad computer back when ProPilot 99 came out. For a variety of reasons I need to get a new computer, but in the meantime, will ProPilot run faster if I upgrade my video card to one of the ones recommended in this forum? That is, the Voodoo series or the Banshee? Presently I have an STB Velocity 4400. That's what came with the computer. ProPilot 99 is rendered nicely, it's just a little jerky. I'm mainly concerned with the jerkiness of the instruments when flying in clouds. The delay between control movement and instrument responses (AI, etc.) really takes the joy out of using what is otherwise a great simulator. I had a chance to play with an ELITE recently, one with all the bells and whistles, and I found myself wishing they had incorporated some of the features that are in ProPilot 99. I think ProPilot 99 would be just as good as ELITE or the other less expensive simulators (but still far more expensive than PP99) if I could just get the instruments to run in "real time." Anyway, question is . . . if I get one of these old Voodoo cards on eBay or wherever, will PP99 start running as smooth as silk, or do I have to upgrade processor, harddrive, etc. too? Yes, I know I need to do that, but in the meantime will an upgrade to the recommended video cards help?Thanks anyone for any suggestions. Mike

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Mike,I first ran PP99 on a Pentium 200 MMX with the Banshee video card and it ran just fine at 20 to 25 frames of video per second. That is the same as movie projectors run at your local theater. I currently have a desktop computer with an AMD K6-3 450 MHz processor and a Voodoo 5 video card in it and it runs about the same speed on the video presentation, but I am sure the rest of the program is running better in the background. The flight characteristics are still smooth and realistic. If you can get the Voodoo 5, do it! Be sure you can get up-to-date video drivers for it.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Maybe the video card isn't my problem.I just checked my current frame rates, after reading your response, and while in the clouds my frame rates are as low as 50 to over 100. The AI and other instruments are jerky as ####. Unusable actually. I don't remember this program as being this bad, but I guess it was, since it is the same computer, same program. What do you think I need to do to experience a smooth and realistic presentation of instrument indications? New computer? I thought so . . . Thanks, Mike

Sign in to follow this