Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

The Best Star Trek Scene Ever

If this does not sum up Star Trek in an easily digestible and understandable video segment, nothing else does.

If only William Shatner was capable of this wealth of talents, he would not be plugging internet travel bargains today.Doc Bryantlaughing so hard I nearly lost my cigar

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>>If only William Shatner was capable of this wealth of talents,>he would not be plugging internet travel bargains today.>William Shatner has since elevated to televison stardom again. He can be seen weekly in "Boston Legal" on ABC, or at least in the re-runs. IMO, it's one of the best written shows on primtime network television. There are only three (network TV), that I really pay much attention to.BTW--- I could only get through about half the alphabet in that video seqence. :-hah L.Adamson

I did not know that William Shatner had returned to the small screen. I had hoped that "T.J. Hooker" would be lesson enough. I have been television free here at Casa Doc since I bought the manse. And the mortgage is paid off, so you can tell it's been quite a while.Doc Bryant

Shatner lets his subtle humor shine on Boston Legal. You can watch the shows online at www.abc.com and see what I mean. In the season ending episode, Shatner's character and his friend played by James Spader, poke fun at the show when they mention good ratings, time slot, and which evening the show airs.Shatner's character is a law firm President with only one oar in the water. He does some crazy things in the court room as a defense attorney and gets good results. (script writers)You might like it. Candice Bergen is in the show, along with other good supporting cast members including one who played the shape-shifting character Odo in Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Renee Auberjonois.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

It would require me hooking up a television to cable. I have yet to find anything compelling enough to make me do so. William Shatner is assuredly not even remotely compelling. I don't remember Deep Space 9, since I did not watch it on TV either. I missed Deep Space One through Eight too. The last Star Trek I saw they still were using a guy holding up a model of the space craft while running in front of a blue screen and making whooshing noises. I think that's the one that either had the Giant Preying Mantis attack New York City or the H Bomb Test spawned Giant Crabs that ate people but could mimic their voices to draw in future dining companions. No, it was the one where they stuffed a mannequin in a futuristic electric powered bath chair and did a "This is Your Life, Capt. So and So." That was enough for me to toss the Zenith into the dumpster.Now, when someone mentions "trek" to me, I figure they are talking about a good brand of bicycle. And Quatloos to me brings to mind a Turkish breakfast food.Doc Bryant

Doc!I just gave you a web site link, some background information, and said nothing about booting up an old television set with a 12-channel detent mechanical tuner and no UHF. Just click on the link in my post above and you get your humor reward. No Turkish delights required.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TNIn the Denver area tonight and tomorrow night...

Jerry:I went there. Twice. All I got for my troubles was a 30 second clip of William Shatner being told to wear heels with a rubber suit. And many commercials for Hanes Underwear. There were no podcasts nor complete episodes that I could see.In summation, screw that nonsense.Doc Bryant

I saw that bath chair episode! Forgot all about it (happily) until Doc unfortunately brought it up.Nonetheless, the first 2 seasons of Star Trek were the only ones that I found enjoyable and not excessively self-centered (except for the episode with the primitive tribe that pledged allegiance to the flag! Really too silly.) Also, those were the only (!) Star Trek shows with beautiful women, really beautiful women.What has happened to Hollywood? Have beautiful women gone out of style?No more television for me, thank you.Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis,Check your email. I just sent you a link to a video clip combining a Japanese version of "Candid Camera" with rigged Porta Potties!What a winning combination.Now that is television. Not men in tights looking earnest whilst waving kitchen implements over comatose bodies and uttering almost Shakespearian lines like, "I'm a Doctor, Jim, not a plumber."Remember, no matter how much people want to put Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner up on pedestals for basically doing a space age Oater, they both made records that were ghastly beyond the pale!You know Brother Luis, I think you would have enjoyed Star Trek much more had they done an episode about Scotty dealing with "Blue Ice" on the Enterprise!Doc Bryantand remember, can you honestly take seriously the rantings of a fellow that collects locomotive whistles and blows stuff up regularly?

Thank you, Doc, but you will have to give me a blow-by-blow account of it. I do not have ASDL, cable or T1, just a very slow modem connection (and happy to have it out here in the country. We did not even get telephone service out here until 8 or 9 years ago!)So, trying to watch that video means: - wait 25 seconds for some of it to load; - watch 2 seconds of video - repeat processGiven that the video is over 7 minutes, you can surely understand that I gave up after watching only 8 seconds of it (the first part of the titles that took a minute and a half to download.)But, it does confirm what I have always thought about the Japanese- velly stlange people who are just not like us.They are also the ones who have invested much time and money to invent new and more efficient toilets (yes, of course I noticed that) and they have strange ways of advertizing them on their television.Aside from all the other weird things that amuse them. It makes one wonder why they can't be like everyone else, and watch Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, The View, and other wholesome and high-brow shows that are our pride and contribution to civilization.As for the blue ice, it makes me wonder what our contemporary Kirks and Spocks think when they flush the toilet in the Shuttle or the Space Station (no wait, that last is Russian or something). I mean, does it give them a thrill to think that their excreta will be orbiting about our heads, going round the Earth 3 times a day, until they finally fall through the atmosphere and burn up? And do people down here confuse that for a shooting star and make a wish on what is really blue ice? Strange thoughts, and I bet I am the only one in the world thinking them!Best regards.Luis

Hello Luis,I was going to send you an e-mail but I couldn't find your address.I just got a chance to load and try the scenery you made for Lake Havasu. As Tony the Tiger would say, "It's grrrreat". The London Bridge, the marina and even the old airport on the Island. I could almost swear I saw some scantly clad spring breakers out on the lake. :-) Thanks you did a fantastic job.Regards,Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilotLuis, I don't know if you saw my post to you over at the "other sim" forumso I'm posting the post as a post here so you would see the post. (Is this a record for the use of post in a sentence?) :-lol

Hello Ed,Thanks for posting this post about the post that you posted over on the other post concerning this post to which I reply with this post about your post.Just broke your record.Thanks, Ed, that scenery is really not as nice as photo-real - if we could only get some color high-resolution images, we could do a real bang-up job on Havasu.I hope that you got the second link, and not the first that was damaged.To send me an e-mail:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/151728.jpgVery best.Luis