Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 21 August 2006

Short Final....From Avweb.com's weekly news brief of things aviating..."I was sitting on the ramp just about to fly out of Lubbock, TX, yesterday when hopping along came the biggest jackrabbit I ever saw. I thought I would advise ground control about it so they could spare some aircraft from making contact with it on the runway..."Me: Lubbock ground, um, there's a big jackrabbit headed for the runway on TWY Romeo.[pause]Me: Uh... I thought I would tell you so the people who take care of those things could do something about it.Ground: Copy that. The coyote over there on Mike looks like he'll take care of it.Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Doc,As I recall, a prairie dog ran across the runway when I was on final approach at Midland Airpark to meet you for lunch that day in October 2005. Yep, that was what I reported on the bottom of my web page: www.n2prise.org/rv9a0183.htm Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry, there is a massive prairie dog community at that airport. It's all around the approach end of Runway 7, including the northern side for almost the length of the runway. The community is expanding towards the south, and possibly into the Midland College campus. No word yet on their classroom attendence, although word has reached me that some of their in class chatter has lead sight challenged instructors to demand that students turn off their cell phones.Doc Bryant

I wonder if the prairie dogs are really that much worse than modern college students. And at least they don't hold any Friday night beer bonging festivals.By the way, I just read somewhere that a college in Texas took the honors as best party school in the nation. Wish I had known that when I went to school!Best regards.Luis