Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Alas Poor Pro Pilot, I knew you well

Friends,Just thought I would make it known that sometime this week, my backup computer to the vaunted Electron Leviathan will be sent off to a new home.This was the beast that had Win98SE2 and the final iteration of the Voodoo graphics card so that I could fly PP99.It's going to a good home. I am keeping the HD so that perhaps I can slip it into my next back up machine and do PP99 but without the great graphics that Voodoo can do so well!I did get a chuckle today when I told my boss that my backup computer was being traded off for a Ruger Blackhawk 357 pistol. He noted that my backup wasn't worth much. I corrected him. "My backup computer is twice as fast as your only computer." Quiet reigned.Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

A Ruger 357? Doc, I question your judgment - the gophers cannot be that menacing. But then again, everything is bigger in Texas!Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis:A friend needed a computer. I suggested since the machine is pretty nicely built (and low miles too) that we trade for it, since the fellow is also known for wheeling and dealing like that. So he offered the Ruger. I don't have a single action revolver in my locker. I do have a 4 inch barrel blue steel Smith & Wesson Model 29 (44 Magnum) and a Smith & Wesson Model 66 snub nosed 357 Magnum already sitting in the locker. For everyday use I carry a Para Ordnance P14 or P12 Stainless Steel 45ACP. Brother Maynard prefers his Colt Detective Special.I doubt the Ruger will remain in my locker for any length of time. I will probably find some deserving fellow that wants it more than I need it.It's not the gophers or prairie dogs that are menacing. I had a lady tell her offspring to run me over last Friday afternoon. She also had a pair of Pit Bull dogs in the back yard (those really got my attention).Doc Bryant

A late friend of mine breed English Bull Terriers. That's what Spuds McKenzie of Budweiser Beer commercials fame was (not to mention General Patton's dog "Willie"). These dogs are very close kin to Pit Bulls, which are now officially named "American Staffordshire Terriers" in an effort to whitewash their past.His dogs won the Breed Specialty show at Silverwood and were invited to Westminster this past January. Loveable dogs, stronger than all get out, and dumber than posts. If they could get something into their mouths, they would attempt to eat it. Two of them had to have surgery to remove junk they ate. One did not survive the encounter.He always maintained it took 4 years for these dogs to start to show some personality. I felt he was full of mud. And I think my proof would stand any scientific test. You see, one of his dogs was butt ugly, even for a Bull Terrier. So he could not get the whacking large sum of money a "show quality" dog would fetch. So it remained unsold, waiting for someone who wanted a "companion dog." This dog we named "Mavis Davis", partially after my late aunt, who was also strong as an ox, horse sized, and strong willed to a fault.I spent some time every day playing with Mavis Davis as a puppy. She was a little terror but absolutely a hoot. Quickly she responded to me, and to her name. Alas, it finally happened that someone bought her. She became an exceptional family dog. Then came the fateful phone call to my friend. "Did you sell a dog to someone in Houston named "Mavis Davis?" "Yes I did," John replied to the caller, "a companion dog." silence for a bit. "Well, that 'companion dog' just beat my Champion in the ring at the Houston AKC show."I laughed and laughed. A year old puppy, who spent time with people rather than crammed into a cage waxed a show dog's fanny. So much for no personality. Because personality in the ring beat the #### out of a perfect looking example. Even with Mavis Davis's overbite.Doc Bryant

I'm not surprised. Sometimes ugly is really beautiful (with a little help from the salon).Best regards.Luis

>Pit Bulls should definitely be banned. >>Dogs don't kill people, Pit Bulls kill people!>Our dog is 1/2 pit bull & looks like Spuds McKenzie from one side with a big black spot around his left eye.FWIW, it's the best manored and loveable dog we've ever had! Have had Lab's, German Shorthairs, and a bunch of small ones in the past.My wife saved this puppy, when it was abandoned in a snow storm, & thrown in the back of a co-workers pickup truck. I didn't want another dog at the time! Yet, I changed my mind within a few days.That was five years ago, and this dog IS definately part of the family. L.Adamson

I agree with you, Larry. Animals are always a true reflection of their masters. Treat any animal (or human, for that matter) with love and consideration, and that is what you get back. And vice versa.Best regards.Luis

Exactly!Brother Maynard and I have been pals now for fifteen years I think. I could not ask for a more obedient and well behaved dog. It is almost frightening how he has learned some of my foibles and has taken to use them against me.He can identify railroad locomtive horns at a distance. When he hears one that is musically pleasing, he alerts me. He has figured out if I hear a nice train horn, I frequently hop in the truck to go track it down. And when I go in the truck, so does he, sitting squarely in the middle of the front seat thank you. And almost as often as we go chasing a train, we stop either at the Frozen Yoghurt stand or Dairy Queen.He also understands "tricks for treats." And he can work that angle with the best of them.The grocery store clerks know him well too. "You feed your dog better than I get fed" more than one has said to me.And I often reply, "He never has wrecked the car, came home drunk, or knocked up one of the neighbors. Nor has he ever asked to borrow a fifty, knowing full well he will never pay it back."A friend came visiting the other day. He was munching on some microwave popcorn. He asked if Maynard liked popcorn. I said he indeed did. So Scott offered him some. Maynard did not take it. Scott then offered me some. I took a small handful, ate some, and offered the rest to Maynard. He ate it. Scott's outburst is not printable here. When he calmed down, I told Maynard to get his popcorn from Scott, which he then did.Scott came visiting again the night before last. He brought his dinner with him, some take out food. He asked if Maynard would like some. I told Scott to ask him. Maynard promptly ate chicken with him. Scott is still wondering how I have managed to train Maynard who to trust and who to listen to.Doc Bryant

Brother Luis:Both Maynard and I favor "Golden Vanilla." It approximates good French Vanilla ice cream.The first time I took him there (and I was a first for me too) I ordered a large for myself and a medium for him. The fellow at the window said, "Is that for your dog?" I told him the medium was his. He replied, "Well we do give free kiddie cups to people who bring their dogs." I told him to take a good look at Brother Maynard and see if he wanted to risk just giving him a tiny sample versus one of his own. I also pointed out that the minute he finished his, he would be after me to share mine. So the only way I could get a decent portion was to get him a medium size.The logic of that procedure did indeed finally sink in.Doc Bryant

Well, vanilla is my favorite as well. It is good to know that there are still some places that welcome dogs, man's most loyal and loving companion.Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis:Maynard is also welcomed at the cigar store I frequent and at my bank.The bank has ceased the practice of handing out dog treats, so they invite Maynard inside for a session of "There's food in here, your job...Find it."Three years ago, I installed underground sprinklers here at Casa Doc. Well, I did not install them, I had them installed. The installers thought it quite the hoot when their trenching machine uncovered Maynard's hidden treasures. They told me they reburied them, in different places just to bedevil him. While they were telling me that, Maynard was going about the back yard, uncovering his goodies, and returning them to the approximate location they were first buried. Then accidentally, he fell into one of the trenches. I believe that made him mad. Two times in the next two days Maynard sent a message to the Sprinkler Crew boss. While I was in the front yard talking with him, Maynard came up beside him and took a goodly sized dump next to his feet. And Maynard, for some quirk of his being, had heretofore only used the backyard as his bathroom. So it had to be absolutely on purpose. The third day the crew was in a great hurry to finish. So they came early and brought their breakfasts. While they were getting things sorted, Maynard was visiting their toobox, where their breakfast sacks were placed. He removed the toast and other items from each of their bags and stored it for his later consumption. I ended up buying the crew lunch to make up for their missing breakfasts.Ever since then, when the crew comes back for their maintenence check ups, they bring Maynard food to remain on his good side.Doc Bryant

He does indeed have a mind of his own. And he knows quite when to put me into "Ignore" mode.Doc Bryant