Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 2 October 2006

From Avweb.com's twice weekly on line newsletter of things aviating...Short Final:The sound of cooperation.Departing out of Edmonton AB, CYXD, Friday 27 Sept 06 I was talking to departure and after getting north a way...City Center: Grumman RGG, I see you over [pause] I forgot the name of the town.RGG: MorinvilleCity center: Right. Cleared enroute, radar service is terminated.[pause]City Center: Everybody on frequency pretend they didn't hear that.Unknown: RogerRGG: Wilco.Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>"City center: Right. Cleared enroute, radar service is terminated."Uh oh, the dreaded "radar service is terminated".Translation:"You are on your own. Better start a really good scan sequence"."Because, we aren't responsible for any collision that make take place."Of course, when I was flying around here, a VERY busy training airport for Embry-Riddle Aero U.,they didn't even HAVE radar service.Understanding EVERYTHING the tower said, and the aircraft response, wasVERY IMPORTANT ! :-)

In this case, ATC itself "lost situational awareness." I was taught years ago by my late father "keep your head on a swivel. A sore neck beats a stiff one." And this gem of understatement, "A mid-air can ruin your whole gawd*mn day."On a related note, we shall have to see how this unfortunate incident in Brazil pans out.Doc Bryant