Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

In the News Today, Special for Luis!

Flatulence, not turbulence forces plane landing in Nashville Flatulence brought 99 passengers on an American Airlines flight to an unscheduled visit to Nashville early Monday morning.American Flight 1053, from Washington Reagan National Airport and bound for Dallas/Fort Worth, made an emergency landing here after passengers reported smelling struck matches, said Lynne Lowrance, a spokeswoman for the Nashville International Airport Authority.The plane landed safely. The FBI, Transportation Safety Administration and airport authority responded to the emergency, Lowrance said.The passengers and five crew members were brought off the plane, together with all the luggage, to go through security checks again. Bomb-sniffing dogs found spent matches.The FBI questioned a passenger who admitted she struck the matches in an attempt to conceal body odor, Lowrance said. The woman lives near Dallas and has a medical condition.The flight took off again, but the woman was not allowed back on the plane."American has banned her for a long time," Lowrance said.She was not charged but could have been. While it is legal to bring as many as four books of paper safety matches onto an aircraft, it is illegal to strike a match in an airplane, Lowrance said.Lowarance also said later, in remarks not meant for attribution that"that woman sure packed a wallop" and "we asked her what she had for dinner last night. She said a six pack and a few hard boiled eggs." The airport spokesman also reported that the passenger was employed as a volunteer spokesperson for the Terminal Flatulence Foundation of Whispering Winds, Alabama.Lowarance also reported that in her presence she "fired off a couple of shots that made the room smell like the back end of a Grand Ole Opry Tour Bus or a Branson motel room."Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would normally say that report was "over-the-top" in crude reporting, but in this case, it seem it was heading the other direction.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry, you stole my line! http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162660.gifThat is the kind of flight that anybody would be happy to miss, especially if it was a long one.My heart goes out to the woman - after all, who has not surreptitiously "passed the gas" hoping that nobody notices? - but I understand why they kicked her off!Best regards.Luis

Actually, most airliners have the air ducts below the seats to remove cabin air. The fresh air vents are overhead. The air flow design is to minimize that specific kind of odor. The only reason she got "canned" was for the matches she struck. People with gas problems should always get a window seat since they are directly above the air duct that pulls cabin air out.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

But I like aisle seats so I can stretch out my legs!And you can't open the window anyway. But the solution I have found is to go forward and use the first class bathrooms, then as you leave, pass gas in First Class, giving them the benefit of your "crop dusting." Let the hoi palloi blame each other for the toxic odor!Doc Bryant

Sign in to follow this