Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest W4YMT

PP 99 in XP

I have just installed Pro Pilot 99 in WindowsXP. Something is wrong.The graphics are in like 16 colors or something and when I go to the menu I can't put a check mark to "use joystick" All of the menus look funny and you can't put a tick mark in any option.Anyone have any ideas?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Pro Pilot 99 was designed in the days of Windows 98 and requires a Voodoo or Banshee video card for correct video performance. Both those cards were from 3DFX. Any other video system gives the blocky video instead of clouds, fog, haze, lens flares, etc. The resolution will also be LOW. The flight models are great. PP99 was the first flight sim with terrain elevation modelling for mountains, valleys, etc.Using a 450 MHz AMD K6-3 CPU and a Voodoo 5 video card gives 24 to 30 frames per second of video depending on details, etc. PP99 would run fine on a 200 MHz P2 processor with dual Voodoo cards and Win 98 or Win 98 SE.A USB joystick may not work. The old original sticks on a game port of a sound card did the trick nicely. I use the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro joy stick with twist action for the rudder. The same stick had a higher-priced model with force feedback to the stick, and that one also worked with PP99.It is nice to see someone drop by with a question about the first GREAT flight simulator that died an untimely death due to corporate mergers and acquisitions. The Microsoft flight simulator implemented some of the PP99 features, but never achieved the realistic flight models from PP99 or PP2000 that only lived in BETA and was never released in final form.Tracy, your signature appears to be an amateur radio call sign from the southeastern US. A GOOGLE seach shows you operate a repeater near Harlan, Kentucky. I am in the Chattanooga area and fly an airplane I built in my garage.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TNwww.n2prise.org

>It is nice to see someone drop by with a question about the>first GREAT flight simulator that died an untimely death due>to corporate mergers and acquisitions. The Microsoft flight>simulator implemented some of the PP99 features, but never>achieved the realistic flight models from PP99 or PP2000 that>only lived in BETA and was never released in final form.>MSFS didn't at the time, but is far past those flight models now. I consider this payware (Microsoft addon) SF260 as kind of what Jerry flies -- RV, thanks to it's sliding canopy & sticks. For a single engine airplane, this models flight characteristics are the best in the business. And this includes slips, aerobatics, and spins.I figure I can say the above, 'cause one time I was a Pro-Pilot "shill", always promoting Pro-Plot to those FS98 simmers! :7 I agree that ProPilot was the first GREAT simulator of the time. For me, it was the very first sensation of real flight on a PC. I was just doing a turn around a point, somewhere over San Francisco.......when the big WOW hit me! :)Pic: ---RealAir Marchetti SF260 & FSX. RealAir got their start with improving flight models for the old FLY series. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166470.jpgL.Adamson

Larry,How close are you to being ready to fly that RV you have under construction?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

>>How close are you to being ready to fly that RV you have under>construction?Jerry,I think the construction's been done for several years now! :)I happened upon a 1/2 hangar rental five months ago, and figured I could paint it in October before it got too cold. Then I ended up with the worst flu ever, which postponed the painting, and screwed my work schedule.In the meantime, I've paid five months hangar rent, and the plane is still in my garage. The other hangar half is occupied by a Pitts M12 with a 400+ horse power Russian radial and huge three blade prop. The 1/2 plane owner is a commercial pilot, my first flight instructor, and Pitts S2B aerobatic instructor. But that happened by chance, as I rented the hangar from his partner, not knowing who owned the other half of the Pitts.Today, just for the heck of it, I'm putting in the eight quarts of aviation mineral oil, the George Ordenoff video way, which is with a pressure sprayer through the oil pressure port. Takes about 4 hours, and is half done. The plane is still un-painted! In the meantime, this winter, I installed a TruTrak A/P for altitude, to go along with the Trio wing leveler.Am really going to attempt to get this thing painted by next month. And, I'll be doing it the hard way, which is by myself, with a few pointers from an airplane painting friend. I don't want to put the wings back on, untill they're painted. I do have a perfect 3rd bay in the garage for it. And BTW, I caught up with your website latest, earlier this evening. Looks like your work schedule has restricted the "Enterprise" flight hours a bit last year! :D If only we were retired, filthy rich, and owned hangars with painted floors, and lofts that resemble expensive hotel suites, complete with glass door wood stoves and big screeen TV's, as some do! :)L.Adamson

I know what you mean. I have seen a few of those "glossy" hangars. My RV-9A lives in an unheated hangar with good doors on a grass strip. At least I have engine heater strips on the oil pan for those cold nights before a planned flight the next day.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

A USB joystick will work. I have a Logitech Wingman3D which works fine.As far as not being able to even select joystick, just make sure it works in Control Panel/Gaming Options first. It may be an XP thing that causes the option to not work. The menus shouldn't look funny.Like Jerry said, it was designed in 98/99, but XP came out not too long after that. Who has tried it in XP ? Cheers - Dave H.

I tried it, Dave, how could I resist? Works fine for most things, but screen resolution is pretty small, just doesn't look right in today's big screen world.Best regards.Luis

Hi Dave,I loaded PP99 just the other day in XP. It worked ok after I manually entered my CH CombatStick which my yoke uses, into the joystick cfg file. Of course, without the Voodoo graphics, which were really quite nice. Too bad that Nvidia gobbled 3DFX up.There are days that I think about reformatting my HD, reinstalling Win98, and putting my old Voodoo card back in. If I could use my 3 gigs of ram in Win98, I would be there in a heartbeat, but the other thing that stops me is my interest in X-Plane where I can fly planes that I have built, that don't exist in Pro Pilot. Sort of hard to have a foot in the past and the present at the same time:)Regards,Den

This is an XP w/PP99 post. You just have to read a few paragraphs first.Well, my main PC has been down for awhile (200mHz) due to HD problem.I have a PC my oldest son gave me a couple of years ago (the son in the Army, who got stationed at Eglin/Ft. Walton in early July - we're averaging 1 trip a month from the ATL area - "only" a 5+ hr, 1-way trip drive).It is a Sony Vaio, 900+ mHz, w/WinME, plenty of HD room and 256MB. Well, it "used" to be WinME.I upgraded it to XP on Sunday, firstly because my wife is taking 6 college classes this semester (took 4 in fall 2005), and the math class has a CD with .mov files. My son had installed Office XP, but that was about it - a fairly pristine system, w/ a bunch of Sony software (I yanked all the AOL stuff out). No Quicktime, which the movies need. So, I go to their site, and version 7 is the only downloadable version, and only works w/XPsp2 and Vista. I verified this by downloading and installing, but a little msg popped up telling me my OS wasn't correct. Hmmm....Secondly, back in January, the Turbotax box says it won't work w/Win98SE/ME anymore. This was verified by my son-in-law - he had winME, and a Turbotax msg popped up trying to install it, telling him his OS wasn't correct. Hmmm.... He bought a $400 laptop from Best Buy w/XP. They were wanting to get one anyway. I did my taxes on their laptop.Thirdly, I'm finally going to leap from the dial-up world and get DSL.I have this feeling BellSouth/ATT will try to persuade me to get XP, 2000 or Vista anyway.Well, XP and Quicktime are running just fine.PP99, however, shows symptoms just like the original poster of this thread. My answer to him seems partially stupid to me now. I said "A USB joystick will work. I have a Logitech Wingman3D which works fine". Let me revise that - "If you're using a USB joystick, it "should" work. My Logitech Wingman3D works fine with Win98SE. I also have CH yoke and pedals, connected via game port that also work".This is what I know:1) I also cannot put a check in the Joystick box. I've not tried other checkboxes.2) The joystick works with Fly2! It works in the control panel/game controller/test-configuration screen, but it's not the same setup screen that appeared under WinME. I'll look for an XP driver. I'll ensure it's entered correctly in the cfg file, similarly to what dfoulk did. I can compare it to the cfg file on my wife's laptop (WinME), where PP99 gladly accepts this joystick. No 3dfx on the laptop, but it's nice being able to fly PP99 anywhere in the house.3) The Voodoo2 is detected by XP, but has a yellow exclamation point next to its entry. Trying to download a good Voodoo2 XP driver. Tried one already - didn't work. I have another one to try tonight.4) The menus do look a little funny, but only in full screen mode.5) I had PP99 running just great on this PC under WinME, w/Voodoo2 and the joystick.Stay tuned...Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Well, hello everyone!Here's a real PP99 WinXp topic - again.This should also be titled "How to Get an XP Hard Drive Working with a New Motherboard".I finally got my USB Logitech Wingman3D to work in PP99 on a WinXP PC (upgraded from WinME)."ALT + J" (found this last night in the Help File - thought I'd give it a try).Although I still can't put a check in the box in the Joystick/Yoke window, and it's still not checked after doing Alt+J, the stick works !Haven't found any workable V2 drivers for XP yet, though - need to search more.My Win98SE machine is my fully-functional PP99 PC, w/V2.I had PP99 on a VAIO desktop (900 MHz) upgraded to XP from ME as mentioned above. Didn't use PP99 after the upgrade because the joystick wouldn't work. Well, a couple of weeks ago the PC wouldn't start. New power supply - same thing. Checked power switch that goes to MBoard - good. So, bad MBoard just like that. HDrive was okay (checked contents with the Win98SE PC). I need this drive up and running again for several non-PP99 reasons.Bought a barebones desktop from Microcenter (ATL, GA) - 2.2 GHz, 1GB mem. Put HD into box. Windows didn't like new hardware. Wouldn't boot to any mode. Hmmmm..... a couple of days pass....Discovered you can "Repair" WinXP to work with new hardware, although all XP updates will have to be re-downloaded and installed - I can live with that. If WinXP were no longer supported by MSoft, I'd be out the updates. This could easily happen some day, so if you're in the same boat, save the updates if possible. Hmmmm.... a couple more days pass....http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repa...ws-XP-t138.htmlor http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125/en-usSaved 12 GB of HD files to new flash drive stick (16GB).Put in CD drive from another PC.Told BIOS to boot from CD. Put in WinXP upgrade CD.Finally got to the step to "Repair" WinXP.After a few minutes, it looks like it's installing a new version from scratch, but it is not.Took about 35 minutes, but WinXP is now happy, and everything is where it was before and working.That's when I decided to play with PP99 again, and discovered the Alt+J trick.Which is good (minus V2 working), because now the Win98SE won't boot up - it keeps rebooting before Win98SE kicks in - it even reboots while doing the BIOS page -- arrgh. I was using it to copy the HD to the Flash Stick, which was successful. I guess it was too much for it.It's also good, even minus the V2, because I'm training on a 182 to get a high-performance and complex rating (did 1.5 hrs a few weeks ago), and a sim like PP99 is invaluable in getting procedures down. PP99's Bonanza is a little more powerful than the 182, but other than that is a good match.I also bought the Sporty's IFR DVD's a couple of months ago. Gotta have a working sim for that.BTW, here's a couple of old reviews - 1st one's pretty objective - a pilot and non-pilot review pros/cons :http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/jan99/propilot.htm"If you are looking for an arcade game that has very little basis in real life this is NOT the game for you. If you are a pilot or an aspiring pilot this is certainly one to consider."**************************************************************This next reviewer really liked it overall, but correctly slammed ATC.http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/review/spp99.htm"However, I talked to the people at Dynamix and was told that ATC was a late addition and they admitted that it was guilty of what they call "overvectoring". This means that when you approach your destination airport ATC will tend to send you off on seemingly random headings and altitudes before finally getting you on the ground. My experience with ATC tended to be even worse."*** Does anyone know if PP2000 had an improved ATC? I think it did.*******************************************************Another reviewer didn't like it much, but it was more of a gaming site.Cheers and blue skies ! - Dave H.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Nice to hear from you, Dave, and thanks for putting us back on topic. Your attempts to get PP to work sound like an epic adventure, very exciting. I gave up some time ago since it just won't work correctly on my computer - too bad.Good luck on your new ratings, sounds like lots of fun.Best regards.Luis

Have you finished Phase 1 testing? If so, are you headed to LOE 08?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN