Sign in to follow this  
Guest Granpa Joe

what after PROPILOT 99?

I got PP 99 about 01 and have loved to try and fly and hardly ever made a succesful landing etc. Was using an old side winder joy stick. Then in 04 I got a Compaq Presario SR1200NX with home XP and nothing worked until I discovered(and now have)a Logiteck Wingman Force 3D controller. I have the square clouds etc. Now my 2nd disk is cracked and I should move on to a newer software but they all scare me---is their a simple new one that does about the same things as PP 99 and that I can use with my Windman and my Presario XP??? Looking for Advice Granpa Joe

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Joe,ProPilot 99 was designed to work with the 3dFX video cards to show the blocky clouds as they were intended as wispy, billowing, etc. There were also other visual effects that could only be created with those video cards (Voodoo, Banshee, Voodoo 5). Remember that this flight sim came out in the days of Windows 98 and had a nice frame rate on CPU's that ran in the 200 MHz to 450 MHz clock speeds.The newer flight sims from Microsoft (2002 and later) have incorporated the ground-breaking features that were first introduced in PP99 - like ground contours, elevations, etc. The flight models when perfected with all the patches to PP99, were great. For its time, PP99 and PP2000 beta, were really good.As you can see from the posts, there are still a few of here who keep this place open as a social gathering spot, and to answer questions from folks like you who check in from time to time. I am a pilot and airplane builder as you can see by using the link below. I still have a desktop computer with PP99 running on Win98SE and a Voodoo 5 card installed for those times I use a flight simulator. When I can put AVGAS in the tanks and have the time off, I go out to the airport and fly my airplane instead. Flying PP99 is definitely cheaper, but only takes me places in my imagination. It can also give me an idea of what a new "big city" airport will be like BEFORE I go some place new in my airplane.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TNwww.n2prise.org