Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest MikeSS

Gone to the dogs

Looks like the ProPilot forum has really gone to the dogs. I'm not surprised. Last time I checked in to this forum quite a while back, members were doing some very irresponsible flying. Especially Doc, as I recall. Inverted over the Hudson River in a G-IV or something like that. That airspace was not appropriate for those kinds of maneuvers plus the G-IV is not licensed for that sort of thing. I'm assuming Doc got grounded (and rightly so, IMHO) and so now the ProPilot forum has gone from flying to dogs. That's okay, that's okay. I'm not complaining. But it's a darn shame.Mike

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Mike,Some of us have gone flying in the real world. Since PP99 bit the dust, I have built a Van's Aircraft RV-9A in my garage, finished it, and flown it for the past 2 and half years around the country. Hundreds of web pages about building and flying my "Enterprise" N2PZ, and having a good time meeting old friends and making new ones.You can see where I flew down the Hudson River right side up at 1300 feet MSL back in July 2005. I went to Oshkosh in 2005 and 2006. The 2006 trip included real-time videos of the approach and landing at OSH and the departure takeoff three days later.I have been down to meet some old PP99 friends near Peachtree City, GA. I even met Doc Bryant for lunch in Texas when I was returning from the El Paso, Texas area back in 2005.You can learn all about it and a photo trip to Alaska on my web site at www.n2prise.org that should keep you busy for days.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Ha, ha, I love it! Thanks for the humor, Mike. I guess that this has always been the hallmark of this forum over the years and it is good to see that people continue the tradition.Best regards.Luis

Mike, grounded yes, by medical issues. But other than that, unfettered by life as we know it! I did retire from the pyrotechnics life coming up on two years ago. I decided the lack of adequate compensation other than the "Ohhhhh", "Ahhhhhs", and "That's Pretty's" from the crowd was more than I could endure. And if you can use a bunch of G-II's as Space Shuttle Landing trainers, I think a nice coordinated One G roll won't do a G-IV much of any harm. And if you do it nice, no one's lunch gets spilled! Might I add the Gulfstream does knife edge flight a lot prettier than say a T-37!No Mike, things haven't really changed much around here...given half a chance, we all will gladly demonstrate that maturity HASN'T set in.Doc Bryant

Thanks for the news everyone, and interesting links. I see Jerry you have a Koger sunshade. I would have put one in my little plane (KR-1

Go to this web page for the day I met Doc in Texas. http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a183.htmI was on the way home from an RV fly-in in New Mexico. I got the trophy for best RV-9 or RV-9A! Keep going through the pages until you get to this one to see the trophy and a photo taken on-site in New Mexico by a professional photographer. http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a186.htmJerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Mike:I resemble that comment. It was put another way by a friend one time, "Doc could have fun at a convention of insurance agents."As I age, somewhat gracefully, I find myself attending more and more funeral and memorial services. I have decided there are two types of funerals that you must attend. Some I go to out of respect for the departed or their family. Others, just to make sure the subject is indeed deceased.And of those funerals I attend out of true want, one can divide them into two groups also. The funerals of friends who have lead a quiet, perhaps salutary life, and those who's funerals are graced with people offering eulogies that are interrupted by their own laughter or that of the audience. Even better, eulogies that are broken with comments like, "well, I really can't tell you that story...."My services, should I decide to allow one, will have some of those types just checking to see if I really checked out. But the rest of the pews will be filled with people remembering the story of me on the Boston Transit Authority Trolley car or the story about "GrannyQuest and Castle Air Force Base" or some other good story perhaps involving high speed driving, great meals or things that go boom.So keep watching this space. I am sure something will turn up. Maybe about the time I met Meekal at his place of work in Washington, DC. Or great meals, or the after effects of great meals.....Doc Bryant

And there's news on the dog front....Squeek, aka "Destructo Dog" has somewhat redeemed herself. The other day the lawn boy came to me and said, "Nice shot."I asked, "What do you mean?""There is a squirrel out in your back yard who's head is a bit distant from the rest of it's body. Nice shooting."I was taken aback by that. I hadn't done in the furry rodent*. I do wish I had, but this was not my doing. So, doing a bit of detective work, I put two and to together. Well, four and four is more truthful. Four dog legs and four squirrel legs. That gave me eight, which was what apparently Squeek tried to do with the squirrel. Finding squirrel not to her liking, she left on the battleground, hors de combat rather than hors d'ouvres. I had seen Squeek on a previous morning catch sight of a squirrel as she exited the house for her morning maneuvers. An entertaining high speed chase and romp of futility ensued. This lead me to believe that there had been other encounters, just not of the close kind as this one was.And this morning, again upon exiting Casa Doc, she spied an adventurous, and large too, squirrel puttering around the beams of my patio roof. Squirrel went for altitude, and Squeek went for surround. Altitude always wins. Squirrel humiliated dog, with added insult of a large amount of Squirrel talk directed at Squeek. This lasted long enough that had I desired to get a weapon of some suitable firepower, I could have. I just did not have the right sort of thing for plinking a hole in the patio roof. When the squirrel decided to exit the pattern via the fence top, nothing in my armory could have done the job. I have no doubt should squirrel decide to go to ground in Squeek's territory, it will be squirrel's last stand.Doc Bryant *before the Petaphiles check in here, squirrels are not indigenous to the deserts of West Texas. Some doofus decided they were cute and released a pair of them. In a sort of Noah's Ark idiom. Over the years, they have done what squirrels do (and birds do it, bees do it, even the flowers and the trees do it..) we are positively awash with them. Since they are not part of the regular flora and fauna, I find no fault with people wanting them converted into stew. I will put up with the rest of the native animal kingdom here, figuring they preceded early man (read "Rancher") and are thus sacrosanct, except in hunting season. Or if I find one in my living quarters. Then, fight's on!

Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it,Let's do it, let's...Ah! this brings back memories.Anyway, even a simple Mossberg Bantam with birdshot will take care of your rodent problem, although I pass on the stew, thank you.Best regards.Luis

>. . . This lasted long enough>that had I desired to get a weapon of some suitable firepower,>I could have. I just did not have the right sort of thing for>plinking a hole in the patio roof. When the squirrel decided>to exit the pattern via the fence top, nothing in my armory>could have done the job. . .I have a Gamo air rifle, "NRA version", that came with a BSA 4x scope.The "little .177 pellets", not the .22 version.One pump, 1000 fps. $200. A lot of bang for the buck. :-bangPlus, its "cosmetics" are pretty close to my Remington 700 bolt actionsniper rifle in .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO) with a 6-24x scope.Uh, scratch that, the .308 is a VARMINT rifle. For BIG varmints.What I mean is the Gamo "looks mean". More than enough to totallyscare the bejesus out of "gun control types".The Gamo is "fairly easy" to get 1 to 1.5" five shot groups at 15 yards. That will put a squirrel in your pot, if all you'all diq squirrel stew. However, I would have to pass on "roof and tree" shots in an urban area.1000 fps and a 45 degree up angle will send those pellets a LONG way. :-rollDan

Dan.....I have a .177 pellet pistol that looks to be a dead ringer for a Walther. But it was not at hand.And I have a few "tactical rifles" and some shotguns that are not designed for wingshooting. But they were not at hand.That will change in the future!Doc Bryant

Speaking of dogs, I had one who loved sticking his head out the window, even when just a puppy. He would climb on my lap and scratch on the window until I opened it for him. So, I would keep one hand on the steering wheel and one on him to keep him from falling out, or jumping! Something like this:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188632.jpgNeither of the two dogs I have now will do that. They get car sick and will vomit on my pants, multiple times, if I take them for a ride.Best regards.Luis