Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

Recognition of important facts re: Avsim

Hello all:As you can see, I do not post much, but I spend quite a lot of time on these forums.As a simmer who's reached my 4th anniversary in this great hobby, I can honestly say that I've seen a lot of websites as well as members of our community come and go (some for the better, some not).One constant, however, has always been Avsim. Always at the forefront of relevant news, reviews, features, forums, and the first stop for uploading or downloading files.Lately, the tone of a fair number of posts has been in bashing Tom A. and the fine folks that moderate these forums. This is disconcerting, and in my opinion, unwarranted. Tom stated that there are over 1,100 posts per day in these, the most popular flightsim related forums available. As members of this community, we ABSOLUTELY have a responsibility to conduct ourselves in a manner that will allow Avsim and it's moderators to continue to do the great job they are doing.This isn't to say that disagreements should not be voiced in these forums. It boils down to showing respect to fellow community members, regardless of their opinions. This site has free access. There is no need to log in to download files or view their forum. It is improving every day.Some comments in flightsim forums have caused valued members to give up on this fantastic hobby. Let's ensure that we don't drive the fine folks at Avsim away, or else I wouldn't know where else to get my flightsim news.Thanks, Tom, and thanks to all of the mods and behind the scenes members that allow us to increase the enjoyment of flightsimming.With great respect,Redrock

Bravo buddy!!! Right there with you. I have had nothing but 110% satisfaction/cooperation/service from Tom and his staff. NO complaints at all. Well I do have 1. Tom didn't send me that Geisha girl I wanted when he went to Japan! :(Don ;)

This AVSIM is SO much better than others simalar It is Amazing the way it is maneged ,the amount of work that happens here is HugeI Think all who complain should be sent to other sites for one week to be Punished :(Anniette xxxxxxxxx

Don, As a proud ABC pilot, I ask that you allow me to make a special trip to the Land of the Rising Sun to satisfy your request for a Geisha!!!Best Regards,Redrock

Guest Heather 636

I can't even get into that OTHER site nine times out of ten. With AVSIM I'm in every time, first try. I was so glad when I found AVSIM and everyone here has been very helpful when I have asked for assistance.AVSIM, A-OK in my book! :-beerchugSincerely,Heather

I add my thanks to the AVSIM team - excellent - I don't bother with the other sites.Cheers, John.4m NW of EGHI (Southampton UK)FS2002 on Intel PIII 733 MHz, 256MB with 32M GeForce2MX graphics and Windows ME.

I have been with AVSIM since the beginning and find it to be the best flight sim site available. Tom has become a professional publisher after some harried starts. We have to ignore the 1% of the odd characters who claim free speech status when they are banned from child-like outbursts. Many of these types have either grown-up or found refuge in an Internet sewer of foul language and unbridled hate. Here in the USA we have several militia organizations hidden in the forests that would welcome them.Dick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Well said - when I started out I used the forums at both AVSIM and "the other place" (which actually banned the word AVSIM for a while). AVSIM is so much better I have given up the other since 90% of the people are more friendly & helpful - and although there are occaisional complaints about moderation, it keeps the "atmosphere" just right !!!!

Guest joea

Hi everyone,I just wanted to add my opinion to the mix. Yes, Avsim has done a good job and was the second place I discovered, yes there are some great people in this forum and the Radar Contact and PIC forms, though I was miffed for awhile about a deleted post at another forum. I can't say I like the infered or open criticism of flightsim.com I consider myself a regular there too and personally have found the folks there very nice and helpful. I won't comment on the access or membership problem except to say they have had a huge increase in the number of hits since fs2002 came out (flightsim being easy to remember). But I do appreciate the gift of hard work and time the moderators do and give here...when it comes down to it freeware isn't free it's a gift as are the background work of the best flightsim sites. Well thanks avsim and all you folks here.

joea-My original post was sincerely in support of Avsim, and in defense of it's percieved tightness and tough rules they apply in the way their forums are run.If I inferred any criticism of flightsim.com, it was not intended, as flightsim.com is a fine site, with great people working there.I must say, that once in a while, I get frustrated by constantly refreshing my screen to log into flightsim, or if I go through the back door to view the fs2002 new files list, and I click on Download to get a file I'd like, up pops the Login screen, forcing me to log in in order to download the file.My point is, Avsim allows you to access all of their features without log in, which I guess comes at a price, which is to respect the rules that Tom A. and the moderators of Avsim ask us to abide by, which is respect and courtesy.Thanks to all for your replies, the feedback helps all of us.With great respect, Redrock

May I add my own thanks to all of the above. Tom runs a fine ship and Avsim is one of the top three sites in my opinion.However, I am getting very tired of the constant bashing of the "competition", in whichever site I happen to be in. Each of the top three sites have their own rules and financial constraints, and each has benefits over the others.Please, ladies and gentlemen, lets all try and get along with one another. I'm "here" mainly to indulge my passion for flying and all things relating to flightsim. Life really is too short to constantly harp on about (a) "lack" of nodes (:( "over-zealous" moderation © bias against young simmers. If you don't like the way things are done, nobody is forcing you to stay.Alastair

www.avsim.com = HomepageNeed I say more?Happy landingsMuzz

Alastair -Quite right.....This issue wasn't intended to be one is better than the other, and if it turned out that way, I am sorry. It was about showing support for the Avsim management's wishes for adherence to the rules of their forum.One thing I have forgotten to mention was that flightsim.com has improved on their nodes (or something) because I have found that lately, it has been easier to log on to the site.On to simming, and a question: Anybody out there running Fs2002 on Windows 2000? I am thinking about upgrading my fs computer from Win 98se to win2000 (I am not interested in Win XP), and I am curious as to whether or not there will be any compatibility problems with my CH yoke and my vid card (ATI Radeon 64 mb ddr).Any feedback is appreciated.With great respect,Redrock

Guest joea

Redrock, it wasn't you I was responding to a couple of the other posts...but I agree with your sentiment.

Bashing is slang whose meaning is obscure and open to interpretation.The items above are, in my view, criticisim. This should be allowed, especially by the advocates of un-fettered free speech. Perhaps an example of bashing would be someone saying that "the site is all screwed up", or "the site is run by idiots". Saying that a site has used creative content without permission is certainly not bashing.DickDick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA