Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

Recognition of important facts re: Avsim

joea - Thanks for your reply. On the other note:I guess there aren't any takers on the Win 2000 upgrade question I had asked previously? A search of the threads provided me with very little. Upgrading my os has been a real sore point, and I feel that win2000pro might be my best bet, since I use it at work.Thanks for any advice!With great respect,Redrock

I use Win2000 Pro at work as well, and it is stable as a rock. Unfortunately, I can't answer your question regarding FS on it, as I run FS at home on WIN98SE. Given my experience at work however, I would suspect that FS2002 would run pretty well on a WIN2000 machine, assuming you had the horsepower.

I run FlightSim 2k2 on Win2kPro and haven't had any problems whatsoever, it even runs alongside a number of other programs if I need it to.

Hi - Tom and Michael, thanks for your replies. I am gonna give it a whirl, and download the drivers and stuff I need for the upgrade.Although Win 98se has served me well, the stability and other features of Win2000Pro have pushed me over the fence.Gotta go order Win2000Pro now! Thanks again.Redrock

Just to agree with the last posting - I have been running FS2k2 on W2kPro since it was launched - other than some video card issues (which were sorted by new drivers) it has been solid as a rock (just the occaisional FS2k2 "hang" - which I think everyone gets)....Much much better than Win9x - normally "forced" to reboot once every three months or so, unless I do something really dumb (which happens all too often) !!!!! Worth a mention ... if it does "crash" (not BSOD) then logging out and then back in solves the problem 90% of the time (much faster than a reboot).. .. ..

Let me know how it goes. If your experience works out, I may upgrade too. I love the stability of the product, but am not sure I need all this whiz bang techno weenie other stuff that goes with it. :)

Tom,I've been running Windows 2000 server and/or Pro and yet to see anything that does not work properly on it. Pitch that Windows 98 dinosaur.The only headache you'll run into is that various installers fail (Janes FA18 being one) and state the OS is not supported. Quick fix for that is a dual boot of a minimal 98 os just to get the install done and move the registry key over. Programs work just fine, it is the silly installers that fail.Win 2K is by far the best OS that Microsoft has ever released. I have had 1 BSOD in all the time I have been running it (since pre-sp1). This was back in the 12.00 nVidia driver days. I have had to reinstall once, due to a failing hard drive. Windows 98 installs generally lasted less then 3 months for me.Running fine with an AMD 1.4c, GeForce 3, SBLive! on a AMD761/Via split MSI 6341. Funny enough, never seen the Via/SBLive! problem under Win2K.Ray

Guest Heather 636

You've got my vote of support Tom.I, for one, am very glad to have discovered AVSIM and visit the site every day.It never fails to amaze me how many people will bash something that they don't have to pay for. I could understand it if this were a subscription site. I suppose that would give a person a little more right in that regard. I think most should be thankful you're here.Doing a fine job in my book.Cheers!Heather