Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoarPics

Reply from AMD about 2100XP

Concerning my previous posting, as i said i was waiting an email from AMD to conferm whether everything was ok with the Athlon 2100XP chipset.They said that the chipset is 100% stable, and they have no plans to recall any stock from the market.It just leaves me to apologise further and to tye my hands behind my back until i get all my facts straight first, and lastly....I'm sticking with my original plan to BUY AN ATHLON 2100XP!!!!..Also welcome back Paul. :-waveCheers guys, learnt a useful lesson :-hang Will :-scatter

Hi Will,Thank You. :-)You should be commended and I hope that everyone sees this post as you have demonstarted what civility, honesty, integrity, and character count. Thanks again.Best of luck, and if you ever need anything, feel free to ask me. I will be more than happy to help you out.Best Regards,Joe :-wave http://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Just goes to show you you can't rely on some kid on the phone at some computer shop making $8 an hour to give any reliable advice, whether it be Dell or your local computer shop. Any time I go into a computer store I always know alot more than the salesman. I don't even ask for their help. Lots of dummies out there.Tim

TOO TRUE, and always good just to double check on something your unsure about, even if its with the manufacturer....back to Meteorology revision..CheersWill

Classic ad error!Condones dishonesty & leaves you with a not too good feeling.

Hey Tim,Its actually funny, frustrating, useful and educating to scope new shops by pretending to be an absolute novice. Try it sometime... You'll be stunned when you see the "experts" that work at many of these places lie their butts off to sell whatever they have most of in stock that week - usually the worst equipment you could buy. I recently had someone at a new shop I visited staunchly recommend PC100 memory over PC133 or DDR for its "stability". :-lolOr worse, those shops who employ people who think they know their stuff and will defend it to the death - but are "stupider" than rocks :-). It seems to be most prevalent in the large wholesale places like Future Shop of course. But it happens quite often in the mom+pop shops as well.Its a great method to separate the chaff from the wheat and forge relationships with those shops that give you an honest and thoughtful experience in your first contact-novice mode.Take care,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

Guest PaulL01

2nd guy today to resurrect himself from among the dead! :-lol>Also welcome back Paul. Thanks Will, I guess we both have "special" powers. :-rollLater,Paul

Guest Max Cowgill

Hey now, let's not go ragging on the guy trying to eek out a living working for "$8.00 an hour" at a local computer/technology store. Afterall, I was that guy for a couple years up until not even a year ago. Maybe I was the rare exception, but I obviously knew my stuff ;) I used to work for a big chain store (not mentioning any names) and I knew more about virtually every technology issue than 99+% of the customers that walked in the door did. Never once did I try to sell anything to a customer that they didn't need. In fact, *every* time a customer walked in the door and was seriously contemplating buying a computer or peripherals/components from us, I would refer them to pricewatch.com as it would save them lots of money. In fact, several times I actually took an hour or more out of my day to help a customer configure a computer via pricewatch. My boss reprimanded me for such several times. However, to their (the company's) credit, they never actually told us to push merchandise customers didn't want or need, and they never tried to get us to offload overstocked/unwanted merchandise. Anyway, I'm done with my rant sticking up for the little guy (for once) ;)Max Cowgill

We sure do. :DJust to let you know, after this episode, i'm NOT going anywhere near this company which i don't know the name of, and i'm buying my computer parts from ebuyer.com.Ebuyer turned out to be the cheapest for all the computer parts i'm after.I'm upgrading to:Athlon 2100XPASUS A7V333512MB Corsair 2700DDR333A PSU 425-450W - a brand of which AMD has recommended,, yet to find a placeA CPU extractor fan - yet to decide upon this as wellI'll hopefully have all this up and running later during next week.CheersWill

LOL, I do the same sometimes Elrond just for kicks and the Future Shop has always been a favorite target for me over the years ;)Smokintodd out.Operating out of CYXU.Athlon 1.4Asus A7M512MB DDRGF3 Ti200SB LiveWin98SE

Give this guy a raise! hehe. I would say you're the exception. The fact is most consumers don't know diddly about computer componenets and such, which is why these companies can hire people that know just enough to sell a product. But I have yet to meet one who acually knows his stuff and can tell me something I don't already know. I was on the phone with a Microsoft tech support agent one time and this guy wasn't all that bright either. Tim

Nope don't think so, but i am now.Cheers

Now Max, lets not go defending the guy trying to eek out a living working for "$8.00 an hour" at a local computer/technology store - who has no scruples and lies with a straight face to make a sale to the "mark" who just walked in :-). I didn't say every tech sales guy is a crook or even that every wholesale shop is void of real talent. Its just more likely than not.The point to doing the "novice" contact is exactly to find the guys/shops who *do* deal in an honest fashion. As a businessman, I fully understand the need to make a sale. However the drive to make a sale and the integrity to be honest don't have to be mutually exclusive (as it is in so many tech shops these days). As a matter of fact, in my own business I've found that the opposite is the more profitable path: most people, novices and experts alike, will do a lot more business with you if you present honest opinions in disregard to what may be most profitable sale. Taken as a whole, their loyal repeat business is much more valuable in the end than a "take" on the first sale anyways. Many, many shops don't realize this for some reason.If I'd have run across you in your job, I'm sure we'd still be doing business today. But the guy who worked next to you most likely would have lied his butt off to sell me that uber-cool PC100. :-)Take care,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif