Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jim

Spyware...

Guest Edam

On May 27th, this site recommended using Download Accelerator Plus... "The AVSIM Library, as most modern ones do, offers resumable downloads. If you are on a dialup modem, nothing can be more frustrating than downloading a huge file and having to start all over because of a dropped connection, or timing out with the server. The best program in our opinion to put this issue to rest is Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) by Speedbit.Com. Better yet, it is spyware free!"Well, guess what? According to AD-Aware, which was ironically also suggested as a download, it found a whopping 55 instances of Spyware on my machine, after installing DAP."Spyware is a way of life it seems. Many sites add cookies or actually modify your registry to add tracking of your on line use. We think one of the best programs out there to remove these is AD AWARE by LavaSoft."Yes, it certainly is. Do you people check out what you recommend before doing so?

Guest UweR

Hi, which version of DAP did you install? I just downloaded the latest? 5.0.0.6 release, a little concerned after your post, but ad-aware didn

Been using it both programs for quite awhile and have never seen anything like that before?Hmmm? Interesting.......Why are those pic's so blurry???Ed

>Been using it both programs for quite awhile and have never >seen anything like that before? Same here. No such problems, no complaints.Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]

Oh,I thought maybe it was some spy thing and we weren't supposed to be able to read it?Ed:-bluegrab

Guest PaulL01

Well, its very obvious that as can be clearly seen in the pic that the downloa- . < acce .,,r is ^,. ; - , tru^ ,; -| .,If the pro;., < o` ~gle ;^ * ,. fargus? .,?/ - p^ ;",<;>' if yo' '^.:,>'-+ t~en!OK?

"Do you people check out what you recommend before doing so?"Yes we do. DAP does not have spyware embedded. I don't know what version you are running, but I can tell you that the latest version (and every version prior to that, as far as I can tell) is spyware free. I run it on my system, and have never seen what you have found there. I suspect the spyware was there before you installed DAP, and since you have run ad aware, that you won't find any more instances of DAP attributed as the source of spyware.

Do you people THINK in the teeniest tiniest amount before you post flames and rudely unfounded observations directed at AVSIM, commercial companies or individuals?Geez Louise. Not to take it out on you personally, but this is like the umpteenth freakin post over the past two months that rudely accuses something or someone without a shred of evidence or any time in the least to verify whats being accused. It gets frustrating when its right smack dab in the center of your living room. Many call AVSIM, and this forum in particular, home.For Gods sake, find out if any information you have is accurate before you go screaming bloody murder about it. Specially when its not even worded politely! I try my best to stay clear of any of these types of posts or debates, but man sometimes it just gets too much.Sorry.http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

Elrond, :-lol

WELCOME TO OUR(AVSIM's) WORLD DUDE!!!

And you (fortunately it appears) do not receive our email. You should see what people accuse us of... I should start a Publisher's Forum, where only I can post, and place in there some examples of the stuff we get. Hey, and I could also use it as a home for me to ramble, ramble and ramble!!! That would be kewl, si? :)

Face it Tom, you are obviously guilty of everything. After all, why else would people accuse you of so much ;-)The good news here, at least I am off the hook now, since I have been told that it's always my fault ... thanks for stepping up and filling my shoes Tom :-lolMaybe the real truth will come out now, it is a conspiricy between DAP and AVsim, the spyware only gets installed after the 10th download from any other flight sim site, just to teach us the futility of going elseware for our fix :-eekRay

Nothing to do with your current issue, but might I suggest you install Tiny Personal Firewall, which will pretty much ensure it never happens again, it is so secure, I thought I had broken my machine (turns out I was just being protected from myself) ...Take a peek at it, http://www.tinysoftware.com ... if you get nailed running their suite of software, I'll eat my hat :-lol

Guest Edam

Elrond: Try taking a chill pill, 'ey? And you have the nerve to define "rude?" I would pick apart some of the over the top commments that *you* made in your response, but it would probably be a waste of my time. And yes, I think in the "teeniest tiniest amount" before posting. Forgive me if that doesn't live up to your obviously superior intelligence. Tom: Sorry, but I deleted DAP so I can't tell you the version. I ran Ad-Aware before installing DAP, then immediately afterwards.Ray: I use Zonealarm, but will look into Tiny also.To those complaining about the image: Give me a break. Yes, I compressed and resized it, probably a little too much due to not wanting it to use up too much bandwidth. (See Elrond? I *do* have some consideration.) That was the best I could do. The original capture was over 200k.

Well, in the interests of our "Editor's Pick" feature, please run ad aware again, then re-install DAP, and run it again. If indeed your version is installing spy-ware, then we owe it to our readers to at least point out which version it is doing it from. I am hoping that you will find that it is not a by product of DAP, but in fact, got there via some other route.