Sign in to follow this  
Guest sfgiants

X-Plane 9 - No Blurries, No CRAZY Configurations

Guest sfgiants

Long-time MSFS fan ever since I was eight years old when my father installed FS$ on out 486 PC back in the day. With FSX, I finally gave up with Microsoft & Flight Simulator!After reading about X-Plane over the years, I thought this was a simulator that didn't rely on scenery but more of a training tool. Than I read about X-Plane 9.0. After buying the game over the weekend, I'm convinces X-Plane could surpass MS Flight Sim Series over the next couple of years. Given the ease of development tools already available, X-Plane add-on expansion should almost TRIPLE, yes...triple over the next year.The "best "part of x-plane, no blurry textures and you don't have to touch any configuration settings. Ahhhhhhhhhhh....how sweet.Tim

Guest Seneca60BC

Hi TimI'm glad you have seen the light at last. Well I am running XPlane 8.64 with the new Global Scenery on a AMD 2GHz machine, GForce 3! and 1Gig RAM and the visuals are stunning! Yes most options are down, but I still get great satisfaction flying in X-Plane. I have Textures on HIGH, and Buildings and Roads on default - so I am not scarificing everyting - still very playable. And yes will upgrade.Glad you like X-Plane.There is the x-plane.org hangout if your interested.Cheers

I was already to go to Walmart and buy X-Plane 9, but then I saw a video proporting to compare FSX and X-Plane. Then right after pointing out the supposedly more realistic flight physics then demonstrated a Boeing 757 doing snap spins and cart wheels in the sky. I'm sorry, but if that's what X-Plane considers accurate an accurate flight model, you can count me out!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

>I was already to go to Walmart and buy X-Plane 9, but then I>saw a video proporting to compare FSX and X-Plane. Then right>after pointing out the supposedly more realistic flight>physics then demonstrated a Boeing 757 doing snap spins and>cart wheels in the sky. I'm sorry, but if that's what X-Plane>considers accurate an accurate flight model, you can count me>out!!You don't need to go to Walmart to try out X-Plane. Just download the fully functional demo from www.x-plane.com and try to cartweel the 757 yourself...But then again. Giving an alternative to the holly FS-X a serious try is a lot harder then coming here trolling so I guess it won't happen...

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

>>I was already to go to Walmart and buy X-Plane 9, but then>I>>saw a video proporting to compare FSX and X-Plane. Then>right>>after pointing out the supposedly more realistic flight>>physics then demonstrated a Boeing 757 doing snap spins and>>cart wheels in the sky. I'm sorry, but if that's what>X-Plane>>considers accurate an accurate flight model, you can count>me>>out!!>>You don't need to go to Walmart to try out X-Plane. Just>download the fully functional demo from www.x-plane.com and>try to cartweel the 757 yourself...>>But then again. Giving an alternative to the holly FS-X a>serious try is a lot harder then coming here trolling so I>guess it won't happen...Actually I have tried the demo, (Look at my post below) While I was concerned about the flight model when I saw planes taking off on their belly, I never tried cartwheels are aerobatics in a heavy, as I'm not into that kund of thing, and I assumed, if this flight model was accurate you wouldn't be able to do much of that anyway. So while there isn't a 757 in the demo, I took up your challenge in the 747-400, and 777. While I couldn't do cartwheels in it, I could still whip it around pretty good. Also I loop it at will (Starting loop at 380Knts at 6000ft. Tried the same in FSX PMDG 747-400 at the same weight 634,280 Lbs TOW. While I was able to do it once, coming at stall speed right at the top of the loop and only after max climb trim, most times the aircraft stalled. While I've never seen or even heard of a real 747-400 looping, I think the PMDG is probably more accurate. Also what's the story with the reversers? They don't animate, and nose light remains on after gear up!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

You usually don't use a hammer to drive in a screw or a screwdriver to get that nail in. If you expect x-plane to act precisely the same as FS you have the wrong impression.If you like the big jets you would be better off flying FS9 (or FS-X if you rig can take it). X-Planes flight model generally does a better job with the smaller stuff.You seem bend on breaking the flight model by using extreme maneuvers. I'm sure that you can find lots of flight models in Microsoft Flight Sim and X-Plane that will act weird under those conditions.X-Planes flight model is probably best at home in the normal flight regime. Thats not that different from the way it is in MS Flightsim. Do you really want that much attention from the air file designer to prevent you doing loops in a 747 or would you like them to concentrate on the correct angles and speeds you will use 100% of the time when you fly by the book.If you like super detailed aircraft with superb animations and the like I recommend you stay with FS-X or take up flight spotting as a hobby. I'm pretty sure there is no 747 captain alive that ever saw his own thrust reversers in action ;).If you are willing to test some more I can recommend some settings for your joystick and better (freeware) x-plane aircraft. If you want a my sim is better then your kind of discussion don't bother. I fly all the sims and enjoy them all from time to time. Last night I even used a C64 Emulator and flew around at 2-6 fps in the extremely rare SubLogic Stealth Mission. Best flightsim fun I had in days.

Ah, but when a sim boasts an accurate flight model, I expect that to be in all flight regimes, unless otherwise noted. I flown in small planes also, as well as a P-51D Mustang, and any of the planes in the X-Plane demo just doesn't seem right to me. It seems too loose. Is there any settings I might be missing that be causing this?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

>Ah, but when a sim boasts an accurate flight model, I expect>that to be in all flight regimes, unless otherwise noted. I>flown in small planes also, as well as a P-51D Mustang, and>any of the planes in the X-Plane demo just doesn't seem right>to me. It seems too loose. Is there any settings I might be>missing that be causing this?X-Plane really does have a worthwhile alternative to mesh scenery with it's global scenery disks. It's also usually fluid in movement.That's why I own the program.But try as I might, I just don't like the "flight model". And high performance GA is my preference.With my FSX "down", I ran both X-Plane 9 & FS9 last evening. The FS9 RealAir Spitfire and SF260 3rd party addons just seem far more convincing in regards to the sensation of "feel"; which involves dampening, mass, power to weight, inertia...........and a few more.The problem is, I often see postings where a simmer moves from MSFS to X-Plane. The claim is usually that the MSFS aircraft are too easy to fly, while X-Plane seems a challenge; and therefor must be more real.I can only assume that their MSFS flights were not exactly precision flying. However, X-Plane may be more twitchy than it needs to be, and crosswinds are overdone. I don't have a problem getting X-Planes where they need to go. I just don't get much pleasure from flying them, because of the lack of "feel"; and usually go on auto-pilot to check the mesh topography out.L.Adamson

That's it in a nutshell! I'm really trying to find something to like in X-Plane, but I'm having a hard time finding it. Between the poor ATC, Generic 3D scenery. (Although the texture and mesh is pretty good!) I have yet to see landmarks like the Empire State Building in X-Plane. Couple that with missing visual queues, like Thrust reversers, I just don't see anything here to want to buy it. That's just my opinion though, others may enjoy it!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

>It seems too loose. Is there any settings I might be>missing that be causing this?In the "joystick & equipment" screen, "Center" tab, set all the six sliders (control-response and stability-augmentation) to full right.This should improve things a little, though X-Plane aircraft are still more sensitive than MSFS ones.>I have yet to see landmarks>like the Empire State Building in X-Plane. Couple that with>missing visual queues, like Thrust reversers, I just don't>see anything here to want to buy it.You'll never see specific landmarks in X-Plane, except in custom made scenery. Laminar has not enough manpower to devote to the manual creation and placing of thousands of real world landmarks. I think they're 4 or 5 people, not 50.Also, some (but not all) of the default planes are lower quality compared to FSX.>That's just my opinion though, others may enjoy it!!Of course. I only fly X-Plane! :)Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guest Seneca60BC

Hi TomThanks for trying out X-Plane and good luck with the MSFS series. At the end of the day neither sim simulates a real 747 or 767 or A320 or what have you, basically we fly in our MSFS or XPlane because we get a sense of enjoyment, how real or how fake, its all personal. But we can all agree that flying on a computer is never the real thing.Take careCheers,Shelton.

>That's it in a nutshell! I'm really trying to find something>to like in X-Plane, but I'm having a hard time finding it.>Between the poor ATC, Generic 3D scenery. (Although the>texture and mesh is pretty good!) I have yet to see landmarks>like the Empire State Building in X-Plane. Couple that with>missing visual queues, like Thrust reversers, I just don't>see anything here to want to buy it. That's just my opinion>though, others may enjoy it!!Don't worry it took me more then a year and a lot of time tinkering before I got bitten by the X-Plane bug. Good flight model or feel is personal taste. As said before you do need to tinker with some of the joystick settings in X-plane if you don't do that its about the same experience as flying FS-X with all the easy flight model settings instead of realistic. It also helps to fly with mild weather settings.I'm not a real pilot but there are real pilots that like the feeling of flight in X-Plane. As an example I quote Chris "BeachAV8R" Frishmuth from his X-Plane 8 review (http://www.simhq.com/_air4/air_140a.html). Notice that he also mentions the importance of a proper controller setup. The default controler setup is one of the big stumbling blocks for people that try out X-Plane."If I have one complaint about the Microsoft flight sim series, it is that they have a rather "sterile" feel to them. The MSFS flight model don't really translate the subtle nuances of flight very well, the small corrections and inputs required, the very dynamic feel of flying a complex machine. Where Microsoft has dropped the ball, X-Plane has picked it up and run. Once you start moving in an X-Plane aircraft, you have to start flying it from engine start to setting the parking brake at the other end. The flight modeling seems so much more accurate and realistic, particularly in regards to environmental effects such as turbulence and crosswinds. Though I still hold a Certified Flight Instructor - Instrument certificate I'm not a practicing CFII anymore. If I were however, X-Plane would be a large part of my ground instruction curriculum. It is THAT good. X-Plane (with a proper controller setup) is a perfect flight trainer as well as a flight simulator."PS of course he compares X-Plane 8 with FS9. I heard FS-X improved the flightmodel feeling but I haven't experienced this myself due to low frame rates on my rig.

>I'm not a real pilot but there are real pilots that like the>feeling of flight in X-Plane. As an example I quote Chris>"BeachAV8R" Frishmuth from his X-Plane 8 review>(http://www.simhq.com/_air4/air_140a.html). Notice that he>also mentions the importance of a proper controller setup. The>default controler setup is one of the big stumbling blocks for>people that try out X-Plane.>And of course, there are a whole lot of other pilots (myself included) who feel just the opposite... :-hah But that's okay, because after all these years, we still argue about what causes " lift". :)L.Adamson

Well making those controller adjustments really did make a difference, at least to the point I may give X-Plane a shot. At the very least the scenery looks interesting. I still have some concerns and questions about it's features. For instance, Is there any way or addon to get real time weather? In the 3D cockpit, is there a way to zoom back a little? I find the viewpoint is too close to the panel. I can move left, right, up and down, but I haven't found a way to move forward and backward in the VC. Also in the Cessna, I can't find the AP switch. The AP modes are there, but not the AP engage switch. Edit: I found the Pgdwn and up keys moves the view forward and backwards, but that's limited by the pilot seat getting in the way, so what's really needed is a zoom option in the 3D panels.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

>Edit: I found the Pgdwn and up keys moves the view forward and>backwards, but that's limited by the pilot seat getting in the>way, so what's really needed is a zoom option in the 3D>panels.Go into the "Rendering Options" screen, and increase the value of "lateral field of view" to set the max zoom out factor.While in game, the zoom can be changed by pressing the + and - keys (but the max zoom out factor is limited by the aforementioned value).In one of the tabs of the "Joystick and equipment screen", you can also look or change all the keys assignments.Real time weather settings are at the right of "Weather" screen, "Atmospherics" tab.X-Plane weather system is less complex than FSX one (there is no station based weather, only global settings).Also, turbulence is overdone, even light settings produce strong turbulence, so be sure to set it to zero in the weather screen.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]