Sign in to follow this  
Jay R

Cheyenne form FSD versus Cessna from flight1

LOL "pointy end of FS design"The pointy end of FS design is usually aimed at my rump as I desperately run, trying not to be skewered by it :DBest,

>In the panel config under "Virtual Cockpit", sections >1 through 3, change the "pixel size" entry from >512,512 to 1024,1024. >>pixel_size=512,512 This can be changed to >1024,1024. RogerDoes this work with any FS2K2 VC?ThanksDavid

Here is the alternative panel config already modified for the 421, but be sure to back up your old one first. http://www.the-hangar.net/panel.zipWill changing the gauge's pixel size work with any VC? Yes, but I wouldn't recommend trying it without making sure you backup your old one before experimenting.It absolutely will not work for any 3Dfx video card that is of the 3500 series or older. The changes have had no effect on my frame rate, but experience has taught me that it can.Best,

RogerThanks for the quick reply; I'll definitelly be playing with this. Oh, and don't worry, I always back up these kind of files before I mess with them.David

Hi Alex While I don't own the Cheyenne I did just buy the 421, and already own Dreamfleet's Archer. I think that the new 421 is truely a great flyer, probably the best I've flown, however, I'm not too crazy about the way they set up the cockpit. I fly for a living, so when I get into a sim I'm doing it to knock the rust off of some things that I don't do very often in the real world, but at anytime could be forced to do. For some unknown reason, Flight 1 chose not to install a ADF, which totally amazes me. While the NDB approaches are not the latest and greatest thing, they are still used every day in the US, and I assume the rest of the world. Many airports only have NDB approaches. In the freight hauling business you had better be good at flying these things lest you end up in some farmers field. That all being said I still think its a great plane but to be honest I'll be asking for a refund if the patch doesn't have a new gauge in it. As far as the panel goes, I'm only 36 and don't need glasses yet, or I didn't think I did until I started squinting trying to read the gauges, not very realistic. Best thing to do in my opinion is try it and if you like it great, and if you don't ask for a refund. Works at Walmart. Bryan Bjorkman CFI

Can't agree on the ADF issue. As far as I'm concerned, a modern day moving map GPS will get you into some tough NDB approach areas much more safely than a ADF. In general, ADF's are redicously expensive for what they do. GPS's still show the NDB location & provide far better situational awareness at the same time. It's no wonder that ADF's are getting eliminated in cockpits all the time. Even realitive cheap handheld GPS's with moving map data bases, will keep you out of that "farmers field" much more easily, not to mention mountain ranges, restricted airspace, etc.!! With a couple of Garmin 530's aboard, I wouldn't even think ADF's.As to the guages, I'm using a 22" monitor in 1600*1200*32 resolution. They were easy enough to read as it was, but I changed the panel configuration to 1024,1024 as suggested by Roger Dial for the VC panel. The gauges are now as super clear as any!L.Adamson

Hello Bryan,We'll take your ADF concern into consideration... I see that Jim has already answered that though.Regarding the panel and/or VC gauges, I think the VC gauges are very legible as demonstrated in the accompanying screenshot.We recognize the 2D panel gauges are not large enough for everyone's taste or eyesight and have made various popups for them as well in the 2D panel that can also be seen in the accompanying link.Left click on the HSI to bring up the 6 primaries. Left click on the other gauges to bring up individual or groups of gauges.Try it for awhile. I hope you'll come to like it.http://www.the-hangar.net/gauges.htmBest,

I can answer your question.The plane that is modeled 3968G is one that I fly regularly and we modeled this panel exactly. There really is no need for an for an ADF in a complex panel such as this one with the "Garmin Style" avionics.This style GPS with overlays will get you into any NDB spec'ed field way better than any ADF could ever do. Of the 3-4 twins that I fly, not one of them has an ADF reciever. I even took the one out of my personal plane. Ok enough of that. This does not help you if what you really wanted was an ADF reciever for your own tastes. You could replace one the gauges by hand or with a program like FS panel Studio but there are no plans for us to add an ADF to the Golden Eagle.And of course as always, if you are dissatisfied with any of our products, we will make it right with you and you will need to make contact through the customer service page at Flight1.com for assistance.Regards,Jim RhoadsFlight1

IMHO.....Both of these planes are truly excellent. I enjoy flying the Cheyenne alot. Of course now that the Cessna 421 is out, I absolutely had to get it because I used to fly the Cessna 402 b and c models, and this is closest to those aircraft yet. It brings back great memories!!But as far as which one is better or worth more. I'll say this, whichever one you decide to go for, you WILL NOT be dissapointed at all in either. I have both and enjoy flying them equally as much.They each fill a desired need in the most enjoyable part of aviation, GENERAL AVIATION!!! I know I was no help, sorry bout that!!Laterhttp://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssig.jpg"There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"

Thanks for your replies Mr. Adamson and Mr. Dial Just to let you both know, I'm not trying to make waves here. I think the airplane is great. As we all know, your never going to make everyone happy, just ask God. While I do agree with Mr. Adamson's view that GPS's are far superior to ADF's, not everyone's 421 has one. I guess from where I'm sitting I don't see why they left the ADF out, maybe its a complicated thing to put in, I'm certainly not a programer, but if you go down to your local airport I'll bet you that at least nine out of ten 421's have a ADF, or more likely an RMI in them. Don't you think? I'm planning on bumping up my little 17 in. moniter to something bigger, but for now this will have to do. Mr. Dial, You people have done a tremendous job, and I certainly don't want to berate it. The squinting that I was referring to was in the 2d panel not the VC, and while I do enjoy flying the VC more than the 2d, I'm unable to do this in the dark. I have my lighting maxed out, but unfortunatly on my machine its like trying to find the bathroom without waking my wife up. ie, dark and I tend to bump into things. I have read the manual and know about enlargeing the gauges, I personally (this is my opinion) would rather have a little bigger gauges instead of 6 great big ones. The planes I instruct in usually don't have GPS's, and I've always been a stickler with my students that they know how to fly a NDB approach as good as me before their checkride (probably because I screwed mine up on my instrument checkride years ago) Now I realize this is no trainer, but when I used to fly 421's I didn't have a fancy GPS, heck I was lucky if my AI's backlight worked half the time, I guess that's the life of a freight dog. You know, I guess this always just comes down to value. A person will be happy everytime no matter what the price if he thinks he got what he paid for. Bryan Bjorkman

Hello Mr. Bjorkman,Nothing in my response was meant to infer that you were making waves of any kind. My post was only edited to reflect that I had read Jim's post and saw that an ADF is not planned for future inclusion.Logically, I should have included monitors when I spoke of different taste and eyesight in reference to the popups. I wasn't thinking of that at the time I posted.I agree that the default night lighting for the VC is too dark for my preference as well. It's hard for me to read the gauges at night, but you can adjust the panel and VC lighting with the config manager.A little experimentation should yield a light level and color that's satisfactory. If this feature is not working for you, maybe it's something that can be remedied on the Flight One support forum. http://www.simforums.com/Here is a picture of the default night lighting and another after I brightened it with the config manager.Best,

Mr. Dial Yup. I was just coming back here to write you an apology and saw your newest post. We're rollin now. Let me ask you this since you still seem to be up. When I click the NDB on, I do get some of the NDB's in the area to show up on the GPS map, but not all. Any ideas? The one that I use the most is the IAF for Lincoln Nebraska if landing to the North, and it doesn't show up. Thanks again for your time and patience. Bryan Bjorkman

LOL, Mr. Bjorkman, My help to you on the GPS would be like the blind leading the sighted.The Flight One support forum would be the place to get that answer.I've spent these many months totally engrossed in building the visual model and haven't had the opportunity myself to enjoy this plane. Maybe this time next week I could give you an intelligent answer about the NDB's and the 421's GPS.In the meantime, I'm sure the very knowledgeable 421 GPS programmer's could answer that question for you on our support board, or in the manual.This particular support thread may be of interest to you and there's a link to a file that may give you the airports you're looking for.http://www.simforums.com/forums/display_to...&PagePosition=1Best,