Sign in to follow this  
Guest HeavyFan

Effect of Additional RAM with FS2002

Guest Heather 636

I am currently using a PIII 800mhz system, 256 RAM, with a GeForce 2, 64 meg graphics card.For the most part, everything runs acceptably well with only a minor jerkiness when I am in a high graphics area, such as one of the downloaded airports with lots of eye candy.It's going to be some time before I can afford to upgrade to a stronger processor (few things more fun than flying but heart medicine is more important, not to mention expensive).However, I have another computer sitting idle until I can replace the kaput monitor that it's hooked up to, again, will be some time.It also has a 256 memory card in it that is the same as the card in the computer I am now using. I am strongly considering temporarily borrowing the card out of it and boosting my system to 512 RAM. Is it worth the bother though? Will it make that much of a notable difference?Regards,Heather

If you are comfortable with moving the memory from one machine to the other then by all means do so. I think you will be pleased with the results. If nothing else, you will be able to a few of the graphics sliders up a little further.Regards,Doug

Guest CapnCol

My first computer was a P3 450 with 64 ram and I upgraded to 256 and the difference was amazing. The frame rates are not increased massively but when changing views it was so smooth and quick. At the time I had the DF737 and the PSS777/747 and it could take up to 30 seconds to load up the new views. After I upgraded the ram, the views refreshed immediately. Now I have a P4 1.8 which came with 256 ram. I upgraded this to 512 ram and also noticed a little improvement. Mind you, I now can have all the sliders maxed.So I would definately say do it.Colin

Guest Heather 636

Thanks guys!Sounds like a project to put at the top of my "To Do" list.Cheers!Heather

Guest aca_dia

I also have a P3 800... MS2002I had a Geforce 2 32mb and 256mb Ram which gave me pretty good results with moderate graphic settings at 1024X768. Frame rates averaged out in the mid 20's with dips to the teens on the ground.I decide to bump things up a bit:512mb Ram & GeForce 4 128mb (4400) Im still running at 1024X768, but now I have the graphics settings just about maxed out (I think I left the dynamic stuff turned down) & frame rates average in the mid 30's. (I still get some dips to the low 20's and even high teens on the ground).I actually added the new video card for another game, but Im very happy with the MS2002 side effects!

Guest Heather 636

Wow!! Thanks to the votes of confidence guys, I just finished a little while ago boosting my system from 256 RAM to 512 and what a difference!!It's almost like having a new computer. I was able to move the detail slider bars way up from where they were and I have also noticed dramatic improvements in many other applications besides FS2002.For those of you like me who cannot afford an expensive CPU upgrade, go with the next best thing, boost your RAM. AMAZING!Now, the only drawback besides needing a new monitor for the computer I "borrowed" the RAM card from, is that I'm going to have to get a new RAM card for it too because there's NO WAY I'm taking this one back outta here!Cheers!Heather

I just bumped my PIII800 GTS64 256 PC100 ram to 384 and it made a whole lot of difference in the overall smoothness. Not in framerate. No more harddrive activity and the frames seem much more steady. Also, the big change was when I exit the sim. It's immediate now and no more waiting for it to crank down to the desktop. Well worth the $33.29 for a third stick of 128 crucial ram. It's amazing how well this sim runs on a 4+ year old system still using PC100 ram. Here's my graphics settings with ATC way down and locked and hanging around 20fps 99% of the time with clouds on:http://www.x-plane.org/users/mgdbottled/Graphics.jpg

Guest HeavyFan

IHey there Guy's! I would Like to upgrade my ram in my DELL 8200 P4 1.7GHZ machine! I have a GE Forece 32MB MX400 AGP card that cvame with the machine! Now as Like you guy's with ths setup I cannot max everything out yet. As I only have 256MB Ram, I hope i get better by upgrading to 512MB Ram and hope things will get better for me alos as it has worked for you! But has anyone changed RAM in a new DELL system before. In the DELL Manual it says if i want to change RAM I half to change it in Pairs???Like I would half to buy 2 256MB Sticks to make 512MB Ram??!! With my old Comp that I had I just bought 1 256 MB Ram to upgrade it, did not half to buy in Pairs, plus on the DELL Site it would be like $400 dollars just to add Ram in Pairs top make 512 Ram!!? Now is this true about DELL systems having to but it in pairs or just a way to get morte money from the customer?? Or can I just buy anopther 256 Ram and add it too my current ram?? I have not looked in my comp yet to see if it has One 256 stick or 2 128 Sticks in it?? So if anyone knows if i can just add one stick to the new Dells to increase my Ram PLEASE let me know, as I want to Increase the RAM to make FS2002 a Little better!!. Since it is accessing the HD once in a while while flying FS2002!! I would apprecite the info on this guy's! Thanks MIKE-:)

Hi MikeThe P4 machine you have uses Rambus RAM or "RIMMS" which have to be fitted in pairs, yes. If you wanted 512MB RAM you could either buy 2 x 128MB sticks and keep the existing 256MB or you could buy 2 x 250MB and end up with 768. HOWEVER, this would rely on your having 2 free slots in the first place. Worst case scenario would be like my P3 laptop where there are only 2 slots total and both filled with 256MB sticks.I'd shop around for prices because Stateside you should be able to do a bit better than $400. I thought it was only us Brits who got ripped off with our Dollar = Pound conversion???Hope you get the result you want. I have XP Pro, 512MB PC133 on an AMD XP1800+ and with PIC 767 I get more than a little disk access...Best regards//Neil

Hi Heather. For what it's worth, both Windows and FS like RAM. I just went from a PIII w/512 to same processor w/1024RAM and FPS only drops below 25 ( where it's set) in very high demand areas with a lot of AI. Push your system to it's limits where RAM is concerned. Best RegardsEd Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.com

Ed, what FPS were you getting under the same conditions with 512MB? were the minimums the same? The reason I ask is, under XP Pro I never have the memory usage going higher than about 500MB with 512MB physical memoryBest regards//Neil

When I upgraded from 128mb RAM to 256mb, I didn't notice much of a difference. I heard that most of the load from the game goes on the video card, and I only have an 11mb Intel 810E.

Guest HeavyFan

Hey thanks for that info guy's! I just opened up My Comp and i see to Slots filled with Ram, and another 2 slots that just have blanks in the slots! So I would half to buy 2 128MB sticks and just add it to the Excisting Ram now??? Or just buy 2 256 MB Sticks to make 512MB Ram, since I have Windows ME, I think 512 is the MAx Ram it can handle? Thank's MIKE