Sign in to follow this  

FPS problems with C421

I am getting about 10fps average with all slides max and higher with all slides to the left. I have never had any problems with framerates before. I have all payware airplanes like the DF737, 767PIC, PSSA320,FDS Cheyenne, and many more. None of these airplanes gives me less than 25fps anywhere with all slides max out.Any suggestions besides bringing the slides to the left, because even if I do so the max I get is about 18fps.My system is:P4 1.4ghz256RDRAMGeforce4 ti4600Acoustic Edge Sound CardWinMe

Hi EcoRomeo,Does this only happen in spot plane view? If so, based on your system and that very fast video card of yours, you should definitely be getting higher frame rates than that in spot plane view.Up until a week ago when I upgraded I had a nearly identical system to yours. I got very good frame rates in panel and VC view, but spot plane view frame rate was about 15fps on the tarmac and 21+fps in flight, and that was with a GeForce 3 and not like the top shelf Geforce 4 Ti4600 that you have.10fps with sliders maxed in spot plane view is definitely too low. I guess it could depend on the airport and whether you are on the ground or in the air. Frame rate performance is substantially higher in the air.I would suggest defragging your hard drive and then reinstalling the 421, also making sure you have the latest drivers for your video card. Your video card alone is more than a match for the 421.Best,

The low frame rates are only happening with the C421 and the airport I am using is Daytona Beach, this is a very plain senery, almost no buildings and no mountains. Anyway I am going to try what you suggested. Hopefully that'll work.

I'm getting nearly the same range of fps comparing the C421 with the FSD Cheyenne & Dreamfleet Archer. L.Adamson

Im getting decent frame rates actually, near 20 in spot plane, but the problem here is the textures for the terrain blur badly and never clear up, no matter the zoom or with alt-tab. I have the same problem with the NAMC YS-11. I think it has something to do with the textures being 1024 and 32 bit. I tried reducing the texture size to 16bit and it seems to work actually as now the terrain will clear up nicely, but I think the textures would need to be done from scratch to make them look good. I have found with the Cheyenne 400 that my frame rates are great and the terrain and weather will display just fine. The difference is that the 400's textures are DXT1 bitmaps versus 32 bit when I view them with image tool. My Cheyene works very well, and very smooth. Inside the pit the frame rates are fine, only spot view where I get slowdown and terrain problems. I have tried many settings for the terrain etc too. Using a V5, Athlon 1.4, 512mb PC2100, SB live! Frame rate locked at 23 in FS.Hornit

How do you reduce the textures to 16bit?

I use image tool provided in FS2K2 with the pro version. I have done it for the fuselage textures and the wings/tail, if you do it to the props they get screwed up. It doesn't look as nice as the high res textures, but with these done through a repaint from scratch it should look fine and run a lot faster.Hornit

A quick and easy fix for blurry terrain textures in many many instances is to lock your frame rate to 20.Go to "settings", "display", click on the "hardware" tab, and set target frame rate to 20. This should give very smooth operation and eliminate blurry ground textures for the majority.Best,

Hornit, see my other post. This is an issue of 32 bit bitmapsbeing created by text-o-matic. If you convert the files AFTERtextomatic has created the final tiles using Imagetool to DXT3,you can cut these files 75% in file size, from about 4MB eachto about 1MB each, and still have reflectivity.I think there should be a way for textomatic to call imagetoolto process the skins. Maybe Flight 1 will make an update inthe future.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

The only aircraft I have out of the 150 or so in my aircraft folder that exhibit this(scenery blur) are the NAMC YS-11 from AFG and the 421. "Using a V5, Athlon 1.4, 512mb PC2100, SB live! Frame rate locked at 23 in FS." I found out that locking the sim to betwen 20-25 on my system has proven to give great, crisp, clear scenery and fluid frame rates and Im set up with 2XFSAA on the V5. I have medium detail settings and get convincing looking and sharp scenery. I think its just my V5 showin its age, time to upgrade I guess, it really has done a fine job over the last two years. Thanks for all the great aircraft too Roger!Hornit

Ahh, ok Hornit, you got me on that one buddy. I wasn't taking into account that you have a V5. Hehehe, that thing is as big as a motherboard isn't it?If you use Imagetool or Martin Wright's DXTbmp utility and mipmap and convert those 421 textures to DXT3 with mipmaps for that V5, I'm sure your scenery clarity will come right back.As a matter of fact, I think I will do that and post it on my website right now for V5 owners for the default textures on the 421 so you will be able to tell me if that fixes it.Best,

Hi Hornit,Try these DXT3 bitmaps and see if they're more V5 friendly. There will be some image loss compared to the default bitmaps, but it may do the trick for you.Place the textures in your "texture" folder of course :)http://www.the-hangar.net/DXT3.zipBest,