Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

A new Cessna 421C skin uploaded.

Looks great as usual Eric.....I got a question for you. Im using the 421 and seem to be having some probs with the huge textures. Is it possible to do a skin with 512X512 and or lower bit depth? More like 16bit or the 512 size texture? My V5 is going to be replaced shortly, but for now Im just curious as it should improve the spot plane view dramatically for those with ..ahem..more "challenged" systems. I can run the plane fine, just no matter what I do with the terrain texture etc sliders my terrain stays really blurry, only with this aircraft and the NAMC YS-11.ThanksHornit

Welp...this is a problem with Text-o-matic. It creates32 bit bitmaps...not DXT3 compressed bitmaps. If youwant to hand install your skins, you can use Imagetoolto convert the text-o-matic processed skins to DXT3to cut the skins down in size by about 75% in file size.Maybe at some point Flight 1 will use Text-o-maticto invoke imagetool by command line on the back end toconvert textures.The caveat of this is that you'll lose some detail.but if you are GPU/CPU challenged, this isnt a bad option.Also if you are considering using this plane for AI, thenits definitely worth doing.As for the YS-11, send me an email. I'll send you someconverted skins.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Yes, the 32bit textures could be a bugaboo for old video cards.It was a shame to see 3Dfx fold. They were the industry standard for a very long time.As Eric mentioned, I would suggest making your liveries with Text-O-Matic and then running the textures through Imagetool or Martin Wright's DXTbmp utility to convert them to DXT3 with mipmaps.DXT3 and mipmapping (You have to mip map DXT3) will result in image loss, but for an older video card, it may give you the performance increase you're looking for.That's an excellent looking livery Eric. I'm getting it now :)Best,

Thats a huge compliment coming from you Roger. Your stuff isAMAZING. Im so digging those air racing P-51's!!!Eric

Ahh, that's outstanding that you're enjoying the Reno Mustangs. As soon as I get a wee bit of breathing room, maybe we'll get to do some racing. That would be great.I'm hoping some geriatric version (big pylons for old eyes) of a Reno racing course will come along soon.I think it would be as much fun to officiate and watch the races online as it would be to actually fly in them :DBest,

I am in love with Miss America. Really nice work as usual Roger!By the way these 'Stangs work really well on my V5. Thanks. Hornit

Roger, one thing I noted...I reduced the alpha channelby about 50% and it REALLY improves the richness of thecolor in the skins, both the F1 skins and of courseany 3rd party ones. Too much shine drops color outof the skin. Me thinks theres a tad too much in thedefault _a.bmp... but just an opinion. I correctedall mine after text-o-matic install by taking thefuselage_t.bmp and using Imagetool to convert it toa 32 bit targa. Then openned the targa in Photoshop,lightened up the alpha channel and saved. Then opennedthe targa in Imagetool and saved as fuselage_t.bmp.Works awesome. The original blue and white planelooks fantastic with just a touch less reflectivity inthe fuselage. Eric

Oh...and another thing...Has anybody looked at the engine smoke? it doesnt comeout from the engines. its too far out on the wings.I myself would like the I key option to turn it off anyway.It eats FPS anytime you use this.Eric

Hi Eric,Actually, that's why the alpha channel is separated, so that repainters can adjust it for their respective works accordingly. On the style of excellent paints that you and Ron are doing, I would run the alpha in the white areas in the neighborhood of 205 while bumping the painted areas and numbers up to 225.The way I did the Reno Mustangs is a prime example of that. It gives a better contrast and looks more realistic for the contrast between the polished aluminum and the painted areas.As you say, too much reflectiveness gives the opposite effect desired and appears to dull the color for painted areas although 205 suits my taste for eggshell or offwhite.Best,

Roger,would you mind helping me doing this conversion with imagetool, maybe some kind of step by step instructions? I'm gonna try but I've never used imagetool before.Thanks in advance,Peterhttp://home.neo.rr.com/zaehringer/pipersignature.jpgPIII600,512MB,Win98SE,DirectX8a,Geforce32DDR(Det.22.80),SBlive(4.06.703)

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Hi Eric,Yup, know about the smoke.This is because the engine locations had to be set to a certain area to achieve the dynamics of the aircraft. I made the decision not to burden Steve with a change to it because it is too close to dead on to mess with it. Given the option of smoke dead on or flight dynamics dead on I chose the obvious. So... hit the start button, close your eyes and count to 4 then do the same to the other engine..:-lolI swear it will fix it !! :-lolBest,Jim Rhoads

Hi Peter,I've made some alternative DXT bitmaps for the 421. They don't have the same image quality as the 421's default 32bit textures, but the load times are much quicker.Backup your original textures and place these in your texture folder for the 421 :)I'm heading out the door now, but yes, I will try to make a short tutorial for converting 421 textures to DXT. That way you'll be able to download your favorite liveries and convert them without being confined to the one's I'm linking to below :)http://www.the-hangar.net/dxt3.zipBest,

Roger,wow that was quick. Thanks for the link, I'm downloading it as we speak. I tried converting them to DX3 and create mipmaps after that. I tried converting all textures and it worked with the exeption of the panel and VC is basically black (not the gauges, just the panel), so I guess I didn't do it right.....will keep trying.Thanks again and I'd love to see that tutorial of yours so that I can start converting some other aircrafts' textures on my good ole` Pentium3 ;-)Cheers,Peterhttp://home.neo.rr.com/zaehringer/pipersignature.jpgPIII600,512MB,Win98SE,DirectX8a,Geforce32DDR(Det.22.80),SBlive(4.06.703)

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Hi Peter,Not to fear, you're almost there. The only step you need to change is to use DXT1 instead of DXT3 for the bitmaps that DON'T end with xxxx_t.bmp and you've got it :)I begged off leaving home because CART is racing at Leguna Seca on the Speed channel :)Best,