Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phoenix5

Time to say farewell

I wonder what happend to PSS, they didn't use to be like this. I remember when Graham & Co. had the fallout with PT a loooong time ago, PSS emerged as a customer oriented and innovativ fs add-on developer.I've been a customer from the very beginning and I find it sad to see them dissapear, however, from the looks of this forum it seems inevitable.Time to find all PSS files in our FS9 installations and backup. Search the forums here, I believe there used to be posts that described what/where to look for in order to make legal and working backups of your own installs.Cheers,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifGIGABYTE Light 3D Galaxy II Liquid CoolingENERMAX Galaxy EGA850EWL ATX 850W Power SupplyNVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel MoboCore 2 Duo E6700 1066MHz FSB 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775CORSAIR XMS2 2GB SDRAM DDR2 800GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI ExpressSBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.12 x Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA Raid01 Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sWinXP Home SP2CH Yoke/Pedals

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

If anyone knows how to accomplish that, it would be ideal but PSS always had those wacky web installers, only thing local was the setup to launch the process. As unperfect as some of the packages are, There's a couple (57 and 77)I fly regularly and I think were actually quite nice in most respects. The thought of being without them in the future is disheartening to say the least. Jay EklundCAT VI Senior Captain KDENhttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/812321/764.png

Jay EKlund

UVA/GCVA Pile-it

Guest MatthewSchoenberg

Fortunately, while it may cost some more money, both the exact same 757 and 777 are now available as downloads from Just Flight.Matthew

>Fortunately, while it may cost some more money, both the>exact same 757 and 777 are now available as downloads from>Just Flight.>Whilst that is very true those of us who are predominantly using FSX will not get those two birds into the sky (unless someone knows different).And the fact that the forum heading says Messages posted to the PSS forum MUST be approved by the PSS Team. Your message will not appear until PSS does this and messages are appearing instantly would seem to indicate they are not bothered any more what people say or think.Now who has suggestions for alternative a payware 757 and 777 which are, or will in due course, be FSX compatible.

Guest MatthewSchoenberg

Indeed this is very disappointing and certainly seems to be a reality.However, help is on the way at least for one of these birds. A very well known 767 Developer is working on a 757 which hopefully will not be too long in the making.Matthew

Here's the link to the 777 backup procedure from PSS:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchI believe it's the same for the 757, but I'll keep digging.Hope this helps,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifGIGABYTE Light 3D Galaxy II Liquid CoolingENERMAX Galaxy EGA850EWL ATX 850W Power SupplyNVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel MoboCore 2 Duo E6700 1066MHz FSB 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775CORSAIR XMS2 2GB SDRAM DDR2 800GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI ExpressSBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.12 x Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA Raid01 Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sWinXP Home SP2CH Yoke/Pedals

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Guest MatthewSchoenberg

Hi,What I have done which has worked successfully is that I go to a computer that does not have my Flight Simulator on it and I create in the Program Folder a Microsoft Games folder and then the FS9 folder in that folder.I am then able to run the PSS installer and all the files are then downloaded and installed into that folder and I now have my backup.This will work for all the files that are in the FS9 folder. It won't of course back up the fonts or any other files which are located elsewhere.Hope this helps.Regards,Matthew

Guest vrandar

>>And the fact that the forum heading says Messages posted to>the PSS forum MUST be approved by the PSS Team. Your message>will not appear until PSS does this and messages are>appearing instantly would seem to indicate they are not>bothered any more what people say or think.>No, actually that's not the case. A few years back posts did have to be approved by a moderator. There was, quite naturally, some objection to that by users and by those of us providing support. The requirement to go through a moderator was removed but the message is still there to this day and has never been removed by avsim."Customer support (or lack thereof) that often borders on hostility and total contempt for customers"I can't speak for others (now gone) on the support team but I hope that those users who have the Airbus have never, ever had a hostile response from me. I would be mortified if that were the case.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest jaglover

>>>>And the fact that the forum heading says Messages posted>to>>the PSS forum MUST be approved by the PSS Team. Your message>>will not appear until PSS does this and messages are>>appearing instantly would seem to indicate they are not>>bothered any more what people say or think.>>>>No, actually that's not the case. A few years back posts did>have to be approved by a moderator. There was, quite>naturally, some objection to that by users and by those of us>providing support. The requirement to go through a moderator>was removed but the message is still there to this day and has>never been removed by avsim.>>"Customer support (or lack thereof) that often borders on>hostility and total contempt for customers">>I can't speak for others (now gone) on the support team but I>hope that those users who have the Airbus have never, ever had>a hostile response from me. I would be mortified if that were>the case.>>Rob Elliott, EGPE Inverness>PSS Airbus Support and>Airbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual >airbus@speedbirdonline.co.uk>http://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.html>http://www.bavirtual.co.ukRob, I don't include you in my statement about poor customer service. You've always been very helpful. The same, unfortunately, cannot be said of the two most recent support personnel of the Boeing forum, nor of PSS management.Mark

Guest jaglover

>I wonder what happend to PSS, they didn't use to be like>this. I remember when Graham & Co. had the fallout with PT a>loooong time ago, PSS emerged as a customer oriented and>innovativ fs add-on developer.>>I've been a customer from the very beginning and I find it sad>to see them dissapear, however, from the looks of this forum>it seems inevitable.>They've been going downhill in customer service since the release of the A320. They ###### customers with their we-at-PSS-are-gods attitude at that time. Even all those years ago they promised bug fixes that were never delivered. That's when they began censoring these forums. Yes, Norman did get PSS to allow user posts to make the forum without PSS approval but censorship still continued, as did admonishment of customers, as did public implications that some forum members were using pirated versions of their software. I was publicy threatened to be reported to Avsim by Norman because I wouldn't roll over and accept the lies he was telling regarding the load editor of the 757. I'm surprised, quite frankly, that PSS lasted as long as they did. If it wasn't for the people that blindly accepted PSS' lies and deceit, and for the people that were foolishly saying "take as long as you want fixing your issues PSS - you're gods in my book", and for the people who said "they're just a small company - give them another chance", they'd have been out of business a long time ago.Mark

Mark,I see that you have now changed to the Boeing forum:"The same, unfortunately, cannot be said of the two most recent support personnel of the Boeing forum"I for one do not recall ever being hostile or contemptuous in my answers on the forum, nor do I recall such an answer from Steven. Certainly you are the first to raise this complaint in my time - and those who have responded when we have answered questions have been somewhat more positive in their view.John Rooum

Hi all, just a lurker for the most part but being the owner of 4 PSS products, I'd be less concerned about what type of customer service we may or may not have had and more concerned if there will be more coming? In other words, I'd like to know if PSS is ever planning to reopen their store, are they closing up for good? If so, how do we continue to fly what we purchased? A statement from the higher ups would help to alleviate alot of worried people..well, at least me.. :)Larry

Guest jaglover

>Mark,>>I see that you have now changed to the Boeing forum:>>"The same, unfortunately, cannot be said of the two most>recent support personnel of the Boeing forum">>I for one do not recall ever being hostile or contemptuous in>my answers on the forum, nor do I recall such an answer from>Steven. Certainly you are the first to raise this complaint in>my time - and those who have responded when we have answered>questions have been somewhat more positive in their view.>>John RooumJohn, it seems I'm being too liberal with my complaints. Just as I did not mean to include Rob, I did not mean to include you. My apologies. There have, however, been very testy replies from Norman and (to a lesser extent) from Steve C. And let's not forget all the questions from customers that neither responded to.An example. When asked about status of a patch, PSS reply was"Do you think I sit here withholding information?"The thread was then locked.Another example. There was a thread in which customers were asking why support had disappeared. Steve's reponse was"How many times do you need to be told?Read the pinned post, it tells you what the current delay is."That thread was, of course, locked too.

Mark, Point taken - I guess I was trying to stay away from those "discussions". There are several posts around that time which are very illuminating with lots of very understandable frustration on both sides - perhaps little different from now!C'est la vie, so back to the forum and the dreaded fonts.John

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.