Sign in to follow this  
ecagan

How to get 757 to see ILS

I purchased the PSS 757 from JustFlight and am having issues with the aircraft tuning into the ILS approaches. According to the manual, it should autotune but I cannot get the aircraft to see the localizer either in auto or manual. It is an available option on my DEP/ARR menu (but according to the FMC Manual page 20, ILS approaches should have ILS in the name). I activate the approach but not the STAR. When I turn base, it doesn't autotune. Therefore, I switch to the manual mode, enter the ILS freq and CRS in the NAV Radio page but still see nothing. I have verified my AFCAD has the ILS in it and is properly tuned. I have also verified my AIRAC does show the same ILS freq and course. Did I miss something? Is there an issue with this aircraft that I don't have the patch for? I currently have an email out to JustFlight to determine what patch my download equates to but haven't heard back yet. I own the PSS 777 and don't have this problem. If someone else has this aircraft and could shed some light on the situation, I would appreciate it. Since the PSS forums are gone, I didn't see any other area to ask (except maybe the FS2004 forum).Thanks,Eric

Hi Eric,I think you were one who suggested this forum - here we are.Firstly, a couple of points on your note. The PSS FMC does not show the type of approach available only the runway - so it will not tell you if you have an ILS.Next check the set up menu - airline options and make sure that ILS Auto Tune is selected.Also to insert the ILS manually, select manual on the nav rad panel to the left of the MCP. You can then dial the freq/course in there or via the scratchpad directly into the FMC.Let us know how you get on.John R

John,I found that the ILS autotune was not checked in the setup options. I checked it and flew the test flight again. It would not autotune the ILS. I also attempted manual entry, but I was not able to modify the frequency on the nav panel. I selected MAN, and I was able to modify the course, but not the frequency. I was able to modify it in the CDU, but I never saw the localizer after switching my EFIS to approach. I also referenced the aircraft.cfg and it didn't have a standby freq set to 1 in the radio settings. For Nav.1=1, 0, 0. Should that be 1, 1, 1 like the 777?Eric

Eric,The original Nav1 setting is ok - I have been flying ILS with it today with no prob.I recall this before but we've lost our "search" for the moment so I'll set up the tutorial and try and reproduce and come back to you.John

Eric,I've just checked the following:1. At YSSY manually tuned all four runway's ILS.2. Flown a route into YSSY with full auto tuning to the correct runway ILS.Please try the following:Start FS9; load the 757; set active runway at another airfield you know and select fly now. Sitting at the TO point, manually tune to the ILS for that runway with Man selected on the controller next to the MCP. Exactly what happens - do the freq and course change on the VOR/DME controller and on the CDU?If nothing, check in the following folder Root FS9/PSS/Navdata/ do you have the file pssrwy.dat.Let me know what you get.John R

I tried a few things. I changed the 0s to 1s in the radio settings in the aircraft.cfg-still didn't work. Unidid that and then deleted all gauge files except the 2 the 757 uses. I rebooted and reloaded the flight and it still didn't work. I reloaded all my gauges and flew the default Cessna 172 and had no issues tracking the ILS. I moved flight up to KDEN runway 34L (default active runway) and no autotune. It does autotune to the VORs, but not the ILSs. I transferred to manual mode but am not able to move the frequencies on the panel. I can see the knobs moving but the numbers don't change. I can move the CRS without issue. In the past, when this occurred to me, it was an issue with the radio settings in the aircraft.cfg or a gauge conflict. Neither appears to be the issue here. When entering the ILS data into the CDU, it does recognize that the freq entered is an ILS freq and it does change the freq on the panel to match, but there is no GS or localizer showing up in the window. I checked my NavData and I do have the pssrwy.dat and I opened it in Notepad and the proper frequencies are there. I'm not sure what to try at this point. Another question I have is whether the JustFlight version 1 represents all patches made to the PSS 757? In the PSS forums, before they went down, was references to version 1.3. Maybe I don't have all the most recent files. There aren't any updates available to me on the Just Flight website and PSS only recognizes me as having the 777.Thanks for all your help so far. It gets frustrating working these details out. I can't seem to catch a break with my new aircraft. I'm also having issues with my Wilco airbuses!Eric

Eric,You have my sympathy - its time to take a breath! Firstly, decide which aircraft you are going to sort out and leave the other alone - if necessary uninstall it.Secondly, I have no idea which version of the 757 Just Flight have packaged - it should be {and I am sure that it is} 1.3 but you will have to ask them.That said, the version will not affect ILS performance. I have been flying the 757 since the Beta versions and ILS has not been a problem.Also, if the PSS 777 works ok, there is nothing wrong with your technique. Nor can I see an aircraft.cfg problem or gauge conflict. I believe that to auto tune you must have a route inserted and activated.Looking at your last post - "I can see the knobs moving but the numbers don't change. I can move the CRS without issue" is perhaps a clue. A display issue?Unless JF can help, I suggest that you uninstall both aircraft and make sure that you clear out any odd files left over. Reboot, thenn re-install the 757 {if that's your choice} and we can try again.John R

Guest PC_Flyer

I think I might be having the same problem. I am using the PSS 777. I can fly via the FMS no problem, but when I try to switch to an ILS manually, I cannot get the HSI and localizer to track. What might also be along the same line, when I try to change the COM frequecy, the knobs rotate, but the frequency digits do not change. Am I just blind or might there be an "Avionics Master" switch I cannot find?

PC FlyerPlease sign your name as per our forum guidlines.There is no avionics master on the 777 - unless you have it off on a default aircraft. When you load the 777/757, it is essential that FS9 first initialises to the correct original default flight. This means that when you start FS9 it must load to the "Create a Flight" page using the default flight. You can then change to the 777 and set up your flight {and save it if necessary}.Try this link:http://phoenix-simulation.co.uk/default.as...displayfaq&id=8and use it to set up FS9.Eric - looking back at your posts I suspect this might be your problem.John Rooum

Guest boastler

I have the switch-turning prob in the 757- but I have the Avionics Master mapped to ctrl-M or something, which turns everything "on" so to speak. If you read the FAQ in the above website, it would have you create a default flight to get around this.I also have a little utility from Avsim that automatically makes everything cold and dark when you start up, so I'm not sure what effect that has- it may be redundant with what PSS created.Brad O.

Brad,When add-ons such as PSS are developed, the programmers need an FS9 start point from which to programme the loading and initiation of their aircraft systems. In the case of PSS, this start point is the original default flight ie 172 at KSEA with all systems running. If you are using any other flight as default, the 777/757 might not load correctly.The procedure on the web site is somewhat convoluted but it was recommended by PSS and has two stages:1. Ensures that you are loading the correct default flight. I personally use a simpler system. I delete any flight at "situation" in the FS9.cfg and then start FS9 and it loads with the correct default flight.2. You then load the 777/757 and, if you wish, you can save this flight, make it the default and in future load directly into the PSS aircraft.Note that you should only use the PSS set up menu to select C&D etc - once you start the aircraft correctly in this mode, you can again save this as a flight for future use. From the above, I would not recommend third party utilites to vary the loading and initiation of these aircraft.The above might seem complicated but it is much simpler in practice.Hope this helpsJohn Rooum

John,I loaded the sim like the link mentions and attempted to fly a pattern from KSEA. I wasn't able to get the ILS to autotune or see the localizer or glideslope nor was I able to manually change the freqs like before. I sent a request for help into JustFlight, but haven't heard a response yet.Eric

OK, I finally figured out what the problem was. When I create my flightplans, I use FSBuild. FSBuild recommends a program called GateKeeper which will you can use to assign a specific gate. It also has 2 options on the bottomt load the flight either "default" or "cold and dark." I was using cold and dark. When I switched to default, everything worked correctly.Thanks for all your help on this. Your comments yesterday about "default" triggered that in my head this morning so I tried it. I never thought that was the issue and didn't even consider it.Eric

>This means that when you start FS9 it must>load to the "Create a Flight" page using the default flight.>You can then change to the 777 and set up your flight {and>save it if necessary}.>>Try this link:>>http://phoenix-simulation.co.uk/default.as...displayfaq&id=8>>and use it to set up FS9.>>Eric - looking back at your posts I suspect this might be your>problem.>>John RooumDoes anyone have a copy of the page to which this link points or at least the gist of it? I can't tune the comm radios on the 757. I'd like to be able to do so in order to fly online with Vatsim.Dean PurcellCNK4Up the Irons!!

Start FS and go to the select a flight page. Select Default Flight on that page, let it load then select the PSS 757.Jim

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.