Sign in to follow this  
sotiris

PSS products reinstallation ?

When a designers' site gets out of business, how can a user reinstall a product in his system without validation by their server ? Or should I say : simply, he can't at all and loses his money together with the product ?Sotiris.

Sotiris Stavrakis

Unless PSS makes arrangements for reinstalls, the only way is to install your products in dummy directories while the PSS website is up and running. Then burn everything to a CDDVD. That will give you all the files for a reinstall.Jim Harnes

Guest Flywolf

The problem with the above is that the PSS installer will only install into FS2004, how can you make it install the files into a dummy directories?Joe

I've just done a complete dummy install onto a 1TB NAS data store with no FS2004 loaded and had no issues at all. I just created a completely new folder called "PSS_Backup" with separate sub-folders for each PSS aircraft so it generates a complete copy of the PSS files for each one, even if there are files common to all, and then told the installer which drive and folder to install it into and off it goes and does it.And it even validated my details correctly so that bit still works too.Will all of my files re-downloaded, and all the manuals too it came to 3.71GB - glad it comes down compressed!! That is now backed up to a separate DVD just in case.Rick

As Rick says, just point the installer to whatever folder you've created. Works like a charm.Jim Harnes

Guest Flywolf

Yes, it worked, Thanks guysJoe

I have to ask - has anone tried uninstalling their PSS products and copying the installation folders over? Does it all work correctly? Are there not XP/Vista registry entries that need to be created for this?

>I have to ask - has anone tried uninstalling their PSS>products and copying the installation folders over? Does it>all work correctly? Are there not XP/Vista registry entries>that need to be created for this?>Yes, I think there are. I tried to do this, and it seems all was not quite right. Would get some errors trying to use the 757 after a registry reimport. Welcome to the reality of Digital Restrictions Management - I fully support a company's right to protect their IP, but not if it means I lose out as a consequence, which is what it looks like may have happened here.Leo Godalming UKhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Louise

London, UK

Guest josh999

I really enjoy the T7 from PSS, so would i benefit from purchasing a CD version from just flight, or are the downloaded versions better?Josh

Leo,Could you tell us how you attemped the reinstall? Did you restore the system from a know good point?Jim Harnes

Hi Jim,I tend to ignore System Restore (imo, waste of resources..)What I did was install to FS as normal, but use a bit of kit, installwatch that takes a snapshot; here though is where it may have gone wrong; I have two installs of XP, one for everyday, where installwatch is located, and another specifically for FS - just about everything unneeded in XP stripped out from the outset, minimal AV etc. Both look at the same partition for Flight Sim, so I can install on the everyday, take the snapshot, export out the registry, check for OS localised files etc and it *should* import back into the XP-FS, with all the requisite files etc in the correct referenced location. But it didnt really work for me this way, I'd get CTD's, hangs or general "weirdness". I found the only way to reliably have it work was to reinstall via the PSS server download method. Maybe it was just me, and perhaps it was a convoluted way of doing it that caused it to go wrong, I don't know. Notwithstanding, I think we need to have an official method rather than these hacks and workarounds that we're seeing at the moment.Leo Godalming UKhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Louise

London, UK

I guess at least with the CD you've got a version that has an offline installer. Hindsight being what it is (see my other post here), I would probably have plumped for a CD version of both T7 and '57.You're still no better off in terms of paying for an incomplete product, though.Leo Godalming UK

Louise

London, UK

Guest bjjones

The only registry entries made are, by the 757,HKCUSoftwarePhoenix Simulation SoftwarePss 757 2006Index: 0Name: GUIDType: REG_SZLength: 66Data: -and for the 777, with the exception of querying a few files, the installer didn't write anything.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.