Sign in to follow this  
Guest Callmecapt

PSS is done

Guest Callmecapt

After coming home from work, I come to the forums and see all this stuff how PSS just packed up and left.I was in the process of downloading the files into a backup folder when I got up to my 3rd file, the concorde, and it says it cannot connect.Looks like they pulled the plug on the servers. I go the the website, and yep, they are gone. I backed it all up manually and it looks like I got everything...which is every aircraft they have made.Now I'm going to throw in my 2c worth.Rob, I, along with the rest of us, applaud your efforts. However, For PSS to up and leave like this, after promises of free updates for FSX, is just pathetic. I have never had a bad word to say about Graham and the team. I knew PSS since the 777 and 747 for FS2000 days and when Johan Dees was Flight Dynamics maestro.As everyone else has said, things started going downhill after the airbus series was released and PSS allowing other simmers to patch their products. Ok, if that was ok by the users, fine. But not even a word about what was happening with them closing up shop????? That's just a low blow. Well, you know what? Since they are gone, I wouldn't be surprised if someone posts the files for all their software on the Avsim file library. Since they no longer exist, they no longer own the license to the software. With no instructions on how to back it up and no executables to offer, I may even start sharing the files with some simmer friends of mine. Graham, if you read this, you should be ashamed of yourself. This is not how you close up shop. This is not how you treat loyal customers. Many people paid good money for your products.I bought a game from an online vendor and the distributor went out of business. Guess what? They sent me, along with every other customer, a DVD of the game I bought online, free of charge and free of postage costs. THAT is how you close up shop and that is how you treat your customers.To all my fellow PSS simmers, enjoy your hobby and like I said, PSS don't exist. Therefore, they don't own the license to their products. Therefore, YOU DO. Share and share alike.Regards for the last time on this forumGoranFormer PSS fan, admirer and supporter.

Goran,There is little point in addressing Rob on this issue. Neither he or I were employees of PSS - we merely helped out because we enjoyed their products.Similarly, I doubt that any of the PSS hierarchy are bothering to read this forum - they disappeared months ago. And I suspect that no one but themselves knows the full story.However, we are grateful to Tom and AVSIM for providing the space for this new forum so, whilst I appreciate and share everyone's feelings, I would ask everyone to try and keep on the "support/help" message {including the potential suggested in Goran's last sentence!}John Rooum

Guest bjjones

I was in the process of downloading the files into a backup folder when I got up to my 3rd file, the concorde, and it says it cannot connect. Looks like they pulled the plug on the servers. Just tried the 757 and 777 installers and they are connecting and downloading without issue.I go the the website, and yep, they are gone.Likewise, the website is also still working.

Same here...still working...Your internet working properly? Maybe they had a little outage or something.I do agree with one sentiment though...a word from PSS would be nice.Larry

Guest bjjones

>I do agree with one sentiment though...a word from PSS would>be nice.I think it's safe to say that I'm the last one, but I'm just the lowly painter so what do I know....

But how many super liveries have you done for them ..............Ah well - when I posted the PSS site was down for me also Since then I have been redrafting the FAQ. What on earth is going on!John R

>Since they no longer exist, they no longer >own the license to the software. With no >instructions on how to back it up and no >executables to offer, I may even start >sharing the files with some simmer friends >of mine. ... and ...>PSS don't exist. Therefore, they don't own >the license to their products. Therefore, >YOU DO. Share and share alike.goran (and others):if you 'share' the files you are in violation of copyright. PSS, regardless if they have 'store' or 'presence' STILL have the copyright to the software as the developers/distributors. PSS owns the code/software until they release it to the public or sell/give the code to another.'we' don't own the product, we own a license to use the product on our computer. there is NO ownership of the code by the end user. as such there is no right to distribute/share the product.software theft is why many FS developers/distributors have difficult to manage download systems and activation methods; and some leave FS because their efforts are stolen.the encouragement of theft of software by a user, to me, make AVSIM invoke the terms of use 'one strike rule' (http://forums.avsim.net/toc.html).--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Scoob,Thanks for putting my last phrase in parentheses into very clear language. That is exactly why I emphasised the need to keep this as a support/help forum as agreed with the AVSIM management.John Rooum

Guest Callmecapt

If anyone hates piracy and software theft, it's me.I have refused to share any online software I bought with anyone, including friends of mine. They say "But they won't know". I have been in very heated debates in the flight sim newsgroups about just this sort of thing. I have always point blank refused to share any software or give out any serial numbers. ####, I was against the nocd crack for FS9 and I got slammed for it in the FS newsgroups. But this just bites. After all the promises, years of trading, they just decide to get up and leave and leave us all in the dark and that is grossly unfair to say the least.What I said in the top post was probably done out of anger. Anyway, I'll come by from time to time and see if PSS show up again. Apologies for my rant.Goran

Guest vrandar

Goran, Scoob is right, the fact that PSS "appear" to have stopped developing at the moment - and we don't actually know the true situation - does not mean they have relinquished the legal ownership of the code. PSS continues to own the code and so posting of the files anywhere else for free download is copyright theft. Anyone posting here with a suggestion that the files are hosted for free somewhere else will have their posts deleted.If in future PSS decide to sell the rights to the code that would throw up an interesting situation; I might have to raid the piggy bank!Whilst it might seem unfair as you put it for them to stop developing they are within their rights to do so.By the way I was not against the noCD crack as it meant I didn't have to use either an original FS9 disk or a personal copy of it each time I wanted to use the simulator. Providing you keep the original disks and do not distribute the noCD crack version or get rid of your original disks then that should not break any licencing agreement. If you destroy the original disks you must also destroy the noCd crack version to avoid breaking copyright rules.The PSS site is working normally for me today.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Personally I have no problem if they want to get out of the FS scene. Thats their choice. Real life gets in the way, people tire of the work etc. What I'm against is no word at all from them about whether they are going out and what happens to people who already bought the product? If the server goes down, someone along the line is going to get screwed out of their purchases. Like others here, I've backed up my files but I would prefer that PSS make somekind of installer that we can use, send us CD's, email customers etc. Anything would be better then the rediculous silence we get now. This is not right...I've bought many things online and worry "now" that someday I may not be able to use them. Ask yourselves if PSS goes down without making sure the customers have their products intact, could this set a dangerous precedent for others to do the same in our communittee?Shame on any company that does not step up and make sure their customers who bought their products in good faith are not taken care of. The owner or owners should pipe in here and say something to the loyal purchasers of their products..After all, these things weren't exactly cheap.As for pirating, never done it, never will. Its pathetic and the people who do it are pathetic...you can quote me :)As for posting these issues here, where else can we turn? Do they respond to emails? Do they have real support people here who actually work for the company? I, like others appreciate immensely the volunteers who stepped up to fill PSS's shoes so to speak and Avsim allowing these unofficial support forums so don't get me wrong. But my guess is that they (the owners) are reading these forums and the more we talk/complain/moan, praise, the more it will goad them into a response. If not, well, I wasted 5 minutes typing this :) I can afford it. LOLEveryone have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, etc. :)Larry

What I simply don't understand is: how can you just "disappear"? After all, unlike some other FS outfits, PSS has a certain "legendary" status: their 747 and T7 for FS2000 were state of the art, beloved by many simmers. A final word, perhaps even a small note of thanks to those of us who bought their products (I own every single one of them) would, I think, be in order. Nobody has a problem with folks simply moving on - but to move on in this way (leaving aside the issue of compatability of the 757/777 with FSX), seems,well, a tad strange. ricardo

Guest Callmecapt

That was my whole issue with this.I have no problem whatsoever with them closing up and moving on, but to do it in the way where all we had to go on was a set of files that depend on their servers for reinstall, and after all the empty promises of FSX compatibility, really gets up my cracker. I suspect something major went on at PSS HQ and the simple solution was to just walk away, but I definitely could be wrong and hope I am.Now, on to a different note, I need an explanation on something.I am no lawyer by any means, and don't plan on sharing any PSS products. I paid for them, why shouldn't anyone else have to? But, How can PSS the corporation own the rights to their software if PSS no longer exist. It is a non entity. The EULA says the software remains the property of PSS, not Graham Waterfield.Keep in mind, this is purely for informational purposes. Not the legality of distributing payware.Goran

Guest MatthewSchoenberg

We have absolutely no idea what the legal status is with PSS. Even though the people may be gone the company can still exist almost forever with no activity. In this case PSS would continue to own the rights to the products they licensed.In addition, if the company goes bankrupt or something like that the remaining assets can also be distributed to others and one of those assets could be the rights to the licenses.Someone made the suggestion that PSS still owns all the rights and none of us have those rights.I would suggest that this comment was very accurate.Regards,Matthew