Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike Phyrio

Terr

Guest Mike Phyrio

Hmmmm. Apparently you have to post here now. Either that or someone didn't much care for my phraseology on the last post because it vanished into the Ooooooo-beee-doooooo.Here's the nutshell version:On the EFIS, there's a selection called "TERR" I'm assuming that means terrain. But when pushed, the button does nothing......and beleeb me, I'm flying over some stuff that should get noticed. All the other buttons work fine so either that button doesn't work or I have done something stupid or not done something smart. Which is it?Mike

Excuse my ignorance but what plane are we talking about here?The TERR button on most airliners would mean Terrain Mapping, it does on ours, but I can't see a flight sim a/c being able to model terrain mapping because it is so vast, I may be wrong, but personally I reckon the button is there for show.__________________________________________________Q400 DriverQVA CFI

Guest vrandar

The reason you lost your post might be because the previous threads are locked and are only there temporarily while I try to work out how to download all the useful info contained in them. The only post I have deleted in the last few days was one of my own!Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest Mike Phyrio

Oh yeah. Doh!! The plane I'm talking about is the 757.I really should have realized when I made the first post that it was in the wrong place because when I sent it, it came up with that old message that says that the people who run the forum have to look over the post first before it'll get posted to the forum. So, there it is, somewhere, waiting for people who will never arrive. No biggie and I certainly didn't mean to imply that you are now deleting posts.So, what does that TERR button do? You can push it, it clicks, the TERR print goes on and off but nothing happens. With that other button, the one over at the far left end of the row, it says INOP right on it so you know that's not gonna work. Figured that one out all by myself! :-) ALso, just out of curiosity; every once in awhile, I'll be flying along and alluvasudden, this li'l green S/C appears right next to the triangle that represents my airplane and it just stays there for awhile. What does S/C mean? And why does it just show up like that when I'm in cruise? Again, not a big deal but I'm just curious.Mike

Mike,Far as I know the TER button is purely for show; it certainly has no affect on the ND. I suspect that there was a plan in the dim and distant past for some form of terrain radar simulation ......?S/c is telling you its time to step climb. If you do not want to see it just set the step climb to zero on the Perf Init page of the CDU.John R

Guest Mike Phyrio

Hey, perfecto!!Thanks John!! :-) :-)

Guest Mike Phyrio

And you know, it's a shame too that they didn't do the terr stuff; considering the totally cool job they did with the wxr.But I can totally live without it.I still really love this plane and regardless of what's gone on or what will go on, I'll keep right on flying it and right on enjoying it.So there.

Guest NormanB

The brains behind the WX radar was looking at implimenting terrain in another project, unconnected with PSS.The button is there for completeness, much in the same way as other developers show similar buttons including WX.

TERR displays EGPWS terrain information. This is not radar generated. EGPWS uses a built in worldwide terrain database and GPS position to generate the information. It shows the relative height of terrain using different colours. Leonardo managed to simulate TERR mode on their MD80, so it can be done. They used a separate terrain database, but it might be possible to use FS9 or FSX terrain height directly.As EGPWS is becoming increasingly the norm on all airliners it is very disappointing that none of the mainstream developers has bothered to simulate it.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Guest Raphouille

Hello, one of the latest patch for the Maddog2004 MD80 included a workingTERR function on the ND.I don't know if this function is featured on the new Maddog2006.Best regards and happy new year,Rapha

The Leonardo MD80 I mentioned is of course the Maddog 2006. So yes, that has EGPWS too. It's a very underated addon.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Guest Mike Phyrio

Meh. I'll just live without it. I sure would look a lot cooler if it worked but, hey, you can'st not have everything, now can you.I don't care what anybody says, I still love that 757.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.