Sign in to follow this  
kapapilot

Temporary Site for Installs

If you have the planes currently installed on your hard drive you can most certainly back them up. There are a couple of threads in this forum that explain what files are used, and where they are located in the FS directory structure. The activation process that PSS used is based on activating the installer. Once you have run the installer and copied off the files you can use them to your heart's content.DJ

Guest SteinarG

I have back uped all off my install.exe files from PSS, but in this scenario the backup have noting too say. PSS have closed the server installer.exe used to install my software. I have paid for my software, i have made backup of the installer.exe files. In normaly scenario i have done my best to save my software. In this case, The guys from PSS need to take action, and fix this situation NOW.

Steinar,It is not the installer that you need to back up. It's the installed files.The first thread in this forum has instructions on what needs to be vacked up.RegardsRussell Jourdain (ANZ007/ZK-RHJ)

Guest SteinarG

The installed files? LOL. Why do PSS use this noprofesional attitude? If i buy software from Flight1,i have the opertunity to back up my licensfile, i can allso create a licensfile to install mye software offline. Wilco: No internet conection is necessary to install the software.I said it before. I have made backup of the install.exe. And in normal situation a scenario like this thats good enugh,and no other softwarecompany use the bad attitude like PSS do in this case.In this case PSS must fix this problem.

Guest aarskringspier

You can only install Flight 1 software so many times before it requires you to revalidate via the internet. PMDG require online authentication to use their newest software. Its nothing new and quite a few companies use the technique and rightfully so. Its quite simple to backup your existing installed PSS software; while those who have since reformated thats a problem and hopefully will be sorted but ranting here isnt going to do a bit of good.

Guest SteinarG

Yes thats is correct. But with Flight1, you get a message that will tell you at you only have one active install before the key must be activatet befor more install. And i think PMDG will informe custumers before closing, and give them information about futher install of PMDG software, or give them a new installerpack for off line installing.In this case PSS never gave any information befor the server closed down. That`s relly bad suport and information to lots of people who have used lots of money on PSS software.In this case PSS have 2 choices. 1: get the server up and running NOW. 2: Let custumers download and install PSS software distribueited from Justflight for free.

Guest aarskringspier

THey have choice number three as well which is do nothing :) You can hope they put something up but thye surely dont have to and you cant force it.

Guest gtsouza

For me they (PSS team) ara a band of thiefs!The fact is that i've spent my money and know I don't have the product.They shoul sent an email to all how bought to inform that they will be closing and how to backup the airplanes.Please don't try to defend them because they wrong!

>>And then they have the nerve to talk about PIRATES. WHO>>ROBBED WHO????>>>>Jorge>>Actually they DID NOT ROB YOU.>>You downloaded and used the product. You did not back it up.>Instructions have been available for years through the forum.>I believe there are search facilities available.>>It about time You took responsability for you own actions or>inaction as the case may be.>>Regards>Russell Jourdain (ANZ007/ZK-RHJ)Yes !! U are right but in my case thsat i bought liveries for the 777 and i saved the installer and when i launch it it sayd it cant download them cause to an error as for sure the site is not on line anymore together with the file? For a copy u mean someone has to copy any single folder of any single payware ? So why did they related the download to their site and then the files are not on line anymore? Following ur point of view anytime i install something i have to do a copy of the FS9 folder so i am sure i wont loose anything..AlfredoWell perhaps the answer was in the forum and i found it so u are right and stop:D

Guest Captain Jack Sparrow

I am wondering how long it'll take everyone here to realize you alrerady have access to the files.If you are a LEGAL owner of the license (meaning you made the purchase with PSS) then just hit a P2P client and snag the files. It's only illegal to do that method if you are obtaining it without the right to have such files. And yes i hit web sites for 7 different countries, including the United States, to verify that such sharing of files IS legal if you already have rights to those files, so do NOT get it confused with Piracy. Just consider it an alternative method of replacing files you already have rights to.AGAIN I emphasize this is only if you are LEGAL purchasers of the product origionally. If you are not, it WILL come back to haunt you.

>>There is a need for my comments. The number of posts in this>forum relating to PSS robbing people are numerous and a>reflection on society where instead of taking responsability>for ones own actions everyone looks to blame somebody else.>>Regards>Russell Jourdain (ANZ007/ZK-RHJ)Russell, I find this comment particularly ironic given that PSS were happy to blame pirates and anything else OTHER than their (in)actions. From botched initial releases, incomplete software, poor Maltese internet connections, broken patches, broken promises, accusatory and rude comments to their paying customers suggesting the problems found lay with the end user's configuration, rarely the planes themselves.Perhaps one cannot go so far as suggesting PSS robbed end users in the legal sense of the word, but their clear contempt and distrust for those paying customers I think cannot help but encourage those feelings. IMO, their "anti piracy" measures were at best ineffective, as we can now see from the extremely simple workaround legitimate users have open to them - to back up the content on their disk. A simple back up of folders bypasses the anti-piracy safeguards.At worst, these "measures" only served to irritate those legitimate customers - had I known such a simple workaround existed at the time, there is no way I would have bothered to keep the installers and wasted time redownloading all the files from their servers. I'd still have that content I paid to use. PSS/Gralin knew the writing was on the wall a long time before support ceased here - they were duty bound to at least advise customers of the importance/need of backing up. That's just basic courtesy to someone.Some years ago, I remember another addon developer warning customers that they couldn't depend on their servers being used as a backup for end users anymore - they had the courtesy to warn users. Sure, they got flack for charging this extended download service, but at least they showed their customers they cared enough rather than saying (or not) "we will just let you find out for yourselves you cannot download from us anymore". I didn't download, and paid for the extended download service. I've backed up now.Additionally - FFS. Remember them and their nice SAAB? They warned their customers to back up before they went off line. They demonstrated a concern that users have access to what they paid for after they went under. I still have that, bugs and all. I can still reinstall it, exactly because they warned me that not backing up ran the very real risk of losing the software. So to say the responsibility to backup lies solely with the end user..well, there's a couple of precedents right there of providers giving their customers warning that downloads won't be possible in future. Had PSS bothered to forewarn their customers of their impending demise and how to ensure their products would be available after shutting down their servers, I am sure we would not have the level of complaints and accusations seen here. Whether or not PSS come back, I am now beyond caring. I've written off the

Louise

London, UK

I was wondering how you suggest this could be accomplished?I'm the one "P" (peer), please tell me which P2P client PSS (the other "p") is using?I remember the files being copyied in batches and installed in one process all handled by/from the PSS site. I cannot see how a P2P client helps us to snag the files unless they are provided to us in a manner that allows us to normally install the product we bought.Yes we are the leagal owners so I would not care how I got what I bought as long as I can normally install the product, w/o the need to edit registry and any other system files that an installation program would handle.If you are talking about downloading somebody elses PSS directory on their computer, this wont work. I know very little about such a procedure, if you could elaborate as to how we could get what we paid for I would appreicate it very much. I just bought a brand new computer and I would like to install my: PSS-Airbus series PSS-Dash 8-300PSS- B777Thanks,Paul Racines

Guest Fly_By_Wire

Hey Leo:As I mentioned somewhere before, you just have to roll your eyes at Jourdain (and a few others) because everything else is wasted on them.I mean these people don't get it, no matter how articulately you try to put it to them.People like Jourdain is one reason I have resisted posting in here about how upset (I want to use another word...trust me)I am about this whole affair, because I know for sure that if these guys talk that excremental talk to me...I won't be using words like "upset" and "excrement" in my replies!

The download will probably be in the form of folders with the necessary files in. You will then have to 'manually' install by copying the files from the download directories into the respective flight sim directories, in the same way a user would install from a backup. Details of manual installations are pinned at the top of the forum.

Guest Captain Jack Sparrow

Phil has it dead on :-)All of the PSS files do NOT have to be installd or "activated" to work. if you have the files, you have the means :-)

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.