Sign in to follow this  
brynjames

PSS compared with Wilco Airbuses?

I have really enjoyed the PSS Airbuses, although they are now a bit dated. Is it worth making the switch to the Wilco buses? What additional or improved features are offered over the PSS ones - other than the ability to run in FSX?Thanks for any advice.Bryn

Yes.Wilco has made a much better job in modeling them than PSS.The throttles are typical Airbus but the PSS wasn't.The whole package is visually more satisfying and more functional including the clickable VC view.All plusses in my opinion and reasons to buy.The only downside is that they do not run an official support forum but they do have an unofficial forum that Dave Scobie handles very well.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest kick

Be careful !I own the Wilco/Feelthere Vol.1 and 2.Within XP SP2 you will be enjoy, but within Vista you will experience a lot of malfunctions and/or CTD, then the more pathetic will be the answers of Wilco's that they will give you, they don't support Vol.1 and 2 's FS9 within Vista and regarding FSX within Vista they will argue that microsoft and their Update are the only envolved, and you probably should keep inform to connect you at the Wilco's support.Hope this will help youCheersKickPS : For Vol.2 the rear stab within default livery are missing, so you will have a grey drawing instead of the right livery stab. I hope you will have some Knowledge to correct this issue.

I have all the PSS Airbuses and the Wilco Airbus volume one. The Wilco has more stuff modeled but there are still issues. I have never seen Managed Descent work right as far as hitting target altitudes, the depicted descent point ro the vertical deviation. The depicted descent point (the while arrow on the map) never seems to match the vertical deviation figure either. Also the fuel predictions are always wrong and different from eachother depending on which page you are looking at. There are a few other bugs that they say they are going to patch. They said they would fix them in Volume 2 and the put out the patch for Volume 1 but I haven't seen it yet. I am on the fence about getting Volume 2 until I see how the patch works on Volume 1.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Well I found the patch for the Wilco Airbus volume 1 and it is dissapointing compared to the PSS Airbus. I did the same flight from KOAK to KPHX with the Wilco A319 and the PSS A319. These are all the issues I had with the Wilco Airbus that I did not with PSS. I have done many other flight with both planes but I used this one to note the discrepancies. Fuel prediction is wrong but now at least all the MCDU pages match with the same wrong number. The fuel usage is incorrect. It uses the fuel from the outer wing tank cells first which is not right. Also it feeds fuel from the center tank when the flaps are extended which is wrong. At thrust reduction to the CL detent the throttle mode goes to speed and the vertical mode goes to vertical speed which is wrong. The top of climb point is always way off. The engine page should show up on the lower display when the engine mode selector is moved to start which it doesn

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

>To change pitch you have to overshoot the attitude >you want by a good bit and then when you release >the controls the attitude goes to about half of >what you set. tom:the FBW system does not hold pitch. details on what the FBW system is doing in the feelThere abus can be read here -http://www.iemit.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8691--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Well I may not be clear on what I am noting with my pitch issue. The guys on that thread seem to be talking more about configuration changes and trim resets and stuff. I may be referencing FBW incorrectly too. An example of what I am seeing is say I am at climbing and trying to hold 300kts but the airspeed is a little fast. I'm just throwing numbers out for example here. Suppose I am pitched up about 2 degrees. I pull the stick back and pitch up to 8 degrees. As I release the stick back to neutral the pitch drops to around 5 degrees. The PSS plane seems to do this too but to a much smaller extent. I mean very small. I aksed my United Airbus buddy about this. He tells me that when he sets a pitch attitude in the plane it stays there when he releases the stick. He can throw it into a bank and it wll stay at the last pitch he set. More on the topic of that thread you referenced. I fly a 737-800 for a living. When I add power the plane will pitch up because of the under wing engines. My Airbus buddy flew the 737 for United and Continental when he was furloughed so he is familiar with the issue. He mentioned that the Airbus will auto trim when he adds power and hold the same pitch. It just holds it. He said it was wierd for him at first. He is going to the 767 so he is going to let me borrow his Airbus manuals then.In the end since I fly a Boeing and the Boeings are pretty similar I like to fly Airbuses in FS because they are different from my day to day flying. I just want to have the most accurately modeled plane I can get. Speaking of which does the Airbus Vol. 2 Have the same issues I mentioned in my other post? I am really interested in getting it. I now Flight Sim planes are always a work in progress and it takes time to get it just right.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

tom:you are correct that the linked thread has a bit of other information discussed (some parts relate to a code bug causing some users to have no FBW control - this bug was corrected).the sections of the tread that relate to your question are those about how the FBW system holds a pitch. The aircraft pitch is set by the FBW holding a constant G-force. as your r/w pilot discussed with you in most cases this constant 'G hold' is seen by the pilot as contestant pitch ... not always.one 'trick' to using the feelThere modeled FBW is to command very 'firm' pitch and roll commands. any movement of the 'sidestick' causes the trim to lock in current setting. the FBW will immediately begin re-trimming only when the 'sidestick' is re-centered. 'soft' movements can result in the aircraft getting more and more out of trim and result in the aircraft 'bobbing' as the FBW system re-trims an out-of-balance aircraft.as ALL developers state all FS simulations are not 100% real-world. in the feelThere Abus there are changes on how the abus reacts in some non-normal situations and transitions between very-short final and just after takeoff that are not modeled.the PSS abus aircraft have NO FBW simulation and is, from a FBW point of view, just the default FS autopilot.concerning V2's A330s and 340s - the code is more mature and has some refinements. these will be moved to the V1 in an upcoming service patch. the FBW 'base code' is the same in V2 and V1. V2's code is refined to work with aircraft much larger than a A32x.the above really is outside the reason for the PSS forum. if you have more questions please post in the following feelThere support forum -http://www.iemit.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=27--edit: added V2 details; forum link--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

I have to make a correction to my other post. The problem I was having with the speedbrakes was specific to my set up. I have them mapped to one of the levers on my CH throttle quadrant through FSUIPC which was causing a problem. Once I cleared the mapping the speedbrakes worked as advertised.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Guest lgvpilot1

My two Pence (cents)I own both the PSS and Wilco Airbus Apart from the ability to run in FSX there is no reason for me to recommend the wilco version.Now dont get me wrong there are a lot of things about both of the developers aircraft that i could moan about (im no RW pilotjust the end user).But i still like both of themBut what kills me is with the wilco airbus , no matter what route i upload ,fsbuild,fs9 I always get a 'disco'This is one aircraft that could not find its way from its arm to its elbow regardless of the airac upgrades.I build all my routes either with fsbuild or pop down to the rw route site here on avsim and upload them to my 747 737 767 777 757 concorde( no names need to be mentioned)with no problems.But even EGLL ENGM approx 650NM i get a discontinunity mid flight With a wico airbus .So needless to say there is no way i would try a good long haul flight with this aircraft Again just my 2pence,cents , euros please ignore , read as appropiate :-) Mark

That's interesting because I use FSBuild and don't get the discontinuitys. The longest flight I have done with it so far is KCLE to KPHX. There is no question that no simulation is without a flaw here and there. The Wilco plane does have some neat features the PSS does not. The PSS plane does have some flaws too but it is more accurate systems wise when you get into the small details. On the upside the Wilco plane is still being developed so there is a chance it will get sorted out.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Guest lgvpilot1

Well if your not getting any 'discos' then the problem is obviously at my end.TBH Im quite pleased in a way because it is something i can fix!!I have to admit i do like the wilco airbus despite its flaws and as you have stated we can find flaws in all our addon aircraft and bashing them on the forums achieves little .Who knows another service pack or two then perhaps this will be the airbus we are waiting for;-) Mark

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.