Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

STEVE SMALL'S Baron B58 add

Guest GOODY

Hi anyone:Any ideas where I can get this file which I have lost witha computer melt-down?Would appreciate some help PLEASE!!GoodyGoodacre@mwaz.com

Guest SoarPics

Well, Tom mentioned in a recent thread here how we the community must do a better job policing ourselves, so here goes.Steve Small has removed the aforementioned files from public domain. They are no longer available, and passing them around cyber space is a clear violation of international law.Steve claims he doesn't visit this forum but clearly he does (he responded to a post here just today). And he no doubt has seen what has happened in this thread.No wonder the guy gets testy at times. You'd get testy too if your copyrights were violated the way his have been.Regards,

Ron Freimuth did the same, but gave permission to send some files by E-mail, just no up-loading to a web site. I'm not sure of Steve's position on this matter. But being the "rotten" & "lawless" person that I am, and posessing those "great" files.................. I can't say what I would & wouldn't do with them!L.Adamson

Dear Greg,Thanks ...>Steve claims he doesn't visit this forum but clearly he does >(he responded to a post here just today). And he no doubt >has seen what has happened in this thread. I read but only I contribute when a product I'm involved with like the Spirit of StLouis (Freeware), or Roger D's P51's (Freeware), FSD's T38 (again, Freeware) or the C421 (Commercial) - or where I have to protect FSD's rights. With regards the latter, such as in the case of the Cheyenne files being passed around here today. Someone should try doing that (circulating a Copyright PSS file) and see what happens here ... >No wonder the guy gets testy at times. You'd get testy too >if your copyrights were violated the way his have been. Well, I think we all have limits. Thanks indeed, Greg, for recognising I too am human and that I still have a few rights ;)Best,

Guest lawyerpilot

I am no attorney, but I will be in two years. And I am sick of hearing about copyright violations from you guys. Most of you throw that term around with absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Take an IP (intellectual property) course and pass the Bar in your state before you go spouting off the intl, let alone domestic rules. The fact of the matter is that if it is freeware, and if there is no specific mention in the read-me that it cannot be disseminated to other people, than we can all do what we want. Unauthorized use, particularly because it was not paid for, refers to inclusion in another project. I completely agree that Steve should have been ######, but that discontent arose b/c people bash his work, when they in fact have not done an hour's worth of work themselves. Easy to criticize from the sidelines. Anyway, if I remember correctly the majority of the copyright protection is activated when one improperly uses the airfile as a piece of a freeware or payware plane and does not have the permission of the author. Obviously, if it is a payware plane, the author will likely want a cut (royalties). Otherwise, he will likely, out of the goodness of his heart, allow it to be used. So, in summary, to everyone here in the Avsim forum, quit getting irate and quoting things in an attempt to seem like a bigshot attorney straight out of "A Civil Action" until you've spent $120,000 and acquired the knowledge. Otherwise, you're a hack. If you think you might know, than say it in a suggestive manner. To jump on people's case is as bad as a nagging wife. I don't have one and I don't want one right now. A nagging one that is....Ciao ladies,ChristopherP.S. Many of you who have spoken with me via email, know that I am very helpful and kind hearted. I love aviation. But stuff like this fires me up. So, if we all know our place, than no feathers will get ruffled. That seems to be the majority of the problem in this forum. Otherwise, it is a wonderful place.P4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPFAA Summer legal Clerk - NE Regional Counsel's OfficePrivate Pilot-working on multi-instrumentAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Guest lawyerpilot

As for the commercial stuff, it would be a clear violation to pass around a Cheyenne air file for example. That is paid for product, which has an exlusive single user EULA.

Guest lawyerpilot

If freeware authors want protection, then they can include a single user EULA. Most don't however. Plus, from a civil penalty perspective (all of which would arise from punitive damages and actual damages), there is no remedy under actual, and punitive would be hard to calculate. So speculative in fact, that most triers of fact would likely award nominal damages of $1 if anything. Furthermore, try to find a U.S. DA that is willing to try a copyright case in federal court on a freeware air file. :) P4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPPrivate PilotAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

... which is why I ignore the stuff that's out there. There's no mileage in closing the gate after the horse is gone. But the Commercial works ? Well, I didn't think there was not a lot of ambiguity there ;)Ciao,

Guest lawyerpilot

SteveI love you man. You do great work and you are on top of your game. As I have said before, there should be a hall of fame for freeware in our industry. You, Ron F., Rob Young, Barry Blaisdell, Roger Long, Mark Philbert (FSMETEO isn't freeware I know) the Flightmax guys, and probably 20 more that I am forgetting. But, you and Rob Young have got the stuff.....P4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPFAA Summer Legal ClerkPrivate PilotAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Guest SoarPics
Lawyerpilot, you clearly have alot to learn. Maybe that IP class was one of the lectures you slept through. Take some time and study the Berne Treaty (it deals with international law, but you can probably handle it).And should you ever pass the bar, you will never have to worry about having me as a client. I would never waste my money hiring you.Regards,

Thanks, amigo ;)But I'm just a hacker in a frustrating backwater : my job's just try and make the designers look good. After all, how much work can there really be in a 12Kb file ... ?(-:

I totally agree about the commercial files. It's surprising just how many E-mails I get requesting "trades" for certain files such as the Dreamfleet Archer, PSS Airbuss, FSD Cheyenne, & already even the Flight1 C-421!As to closing the gate after the "free" horse is gone............. I suppose that's the way it is, but I'd like a clarification of your opinion on the matter.As an example, Lindy just purchased FS2002 after many years of Pro-Pilot & FLY. This is her first example of FS. I mentioned the much improved files of Steve Small, Ron Freimuth, & Rob Young's. I would hate to see her have to live with the "made for masses" stock FS2002 files when something is much better, & just around the corner. Afterall, she once piloted real planes also. I could just say contact Steve Small, but then just how many E-mails do you want?---- anyway!But then of course, once you have experienced the "free" files from Steve Small, Ron Freimuth, Rob Young, & a few select others, it's natural to want the "Payware" aircraft that also have air.files produced by the same people........... just because you can tell the improvements!Kind of a sales approach, twist arm tactic, or whatever! But I like clarification on your stand & a good feeling about distrubuting these "free" files once & a while with out hasseling you with E-mail requests.L.Adamson

Guest lawyerpilot

You know you %$#^*, I will check that tomorrow on Lexis. The power of law school and being an attorney is knowing where to find the info, not knowing everything at a moment's notice. After looking at the info that was posted in your ratings, I'd say the mentions of a nice guy should be red flagged for BS based on your last two comments. As for having you as a client, do you do the same thing to your Dr. or other professionals? Fortunately, I don't wield a knife, I can simply indundate you with words you don't understand and mounds of paperwork. I sure as hell wouldn't want to take money from someone that doesn't think that I am doing the best that I can or doubts the hard work that I do each day. I have never slept through a class, and for all of those that I didn't, it will be especially great when you're on the other side, and I can use that knowledge to take you to town. I will have a field day with you. Mouth off to a drive-thru attendant, not to me. Normally I adhere to the "He who says doesn't know, and he who knows doesn't say.", but when I encounter BS artists like yourself it really fires me up. So, if you are attempting to be the "King of the hobby page", go right ahead. I am definately not in the running for that one. Otherwise save us the trouble of reminding you that this is a frickin hobby and your getting irate about issues (like I am doing now- see how ridiculous it seems?)is absolutely hilarious. Especially when the author himself isn't even concerned with your allegations..he indicated that files already out there are not his concern...So, remember, the first thing you learn in law school, is that there has to be a case or controversy...and it doesn't seem like we have either.....so good job counselor....your issue is not ripe....nor have you "presented a claim for which relief can be granted"......hence, one 12 b(6) later, and in the words of the ump, "You're outta there."Hope to see you on the stand.....Christopher Michael BraunP4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPPrivate PilotAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."