Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vulcho

I Piloted a Real Plane! How does it compare to FS?

Guest Vulcho

Hey guys!I flew on a real plane yesterday! It was my very first flight in a small plane. It was a 2000 Cessna 172SP Skyhawk. The instructor, Joe, did a preflight, and told us everything he was doing. I liked the fuel/water test, and of course-the fresh smell of nice octane fuel. :) Then... flight time.I was expecting to sit in the right-but to my surprise I was directed to the left seat. The preflight was very simple. The fuel pump was loud!! I started the engine-very easy, taxied and did some brake tests an turns, then we stopped at a location close to the hold short and tested the systems before taking off-kind of odd why we did it then. I taxied to the hold short position, Joe requested take off clearance (in fact-he handled all of the ATC communications), and then he just told me-"OK now straighten it out and keep the plane in the middle." and he put the throttle to the max. I had full control. The horses on this baby were amazing-it didn't compare to the 120hp default Cessna. I lifted off in no time and then came that feeling where you feel superior, nothing else matters, you forget everything and concentrate on what you're doing, the world changes in an instant and you can't believe that you are actually flying. We flew to Malibu and back along the shore line. The weather was overcast at 1500ft-luckaly no rain-but then again-this is L.A. I stayed at about 1300ft and 110knots. I trimmed the plane a couple of times and barely had to do adjustments to the keep it level. In FS you just can't get the right trim and let the plane fly itself. Everything was amazing-I couldn't believe how easy, yes easy, it was to maneuver and fly. On several occasions the

Exactly the same :),But not really..........What you will find with more flight experience is your mind filling in the blanks between simming & real. I've mentioned this before, but I think it was "Kathy Pilot" who used the "mind filling in the blanks" quote.Then you will find items that don't work or "feel" the same, but you need to realize that planes all fly differently too! That's why flight dynamics can be so opinionated without an exact correct answer.L.Adamson

Guest lawyerpilot

Remember one safety rule in the future, which will increase your margin of safety on overcast conditions. It is there for your protection. It is probably not a good idea, nor legal, (particularly in a high wing with no upward visibility) to fly at 1200 with a 1500 foot ceiling, for the very reason that you experienced with your traffic alert from ATC. You have to have 500 ft below, or a 1000 ft above the clouds to be legal. But, not to kill your wondeful time, keep up the good work, and always remember the rules are there for your protection! Enjoy! It sounds like you will be the next private pilot in the Avsim community.Christopher Michael BraunP4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPFAA Summer legal clerkPrivate PilotAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Guest Edam

Good show, Vulcho. I felt your excitement when reading your post. Congrats!

Guest Joshieca

Sort of reminds me of the first time I had sex...full throttle, flaps up, done before you got to enjoy it! :(

Guest lawyerpilot

Christopher

Wow amazing! I did my first flight with Joe (Justice) in N830SP about a year ago. Flying up the coast line from KSMO to Malibu is absolutely beautiful! I did about 7 hrs of training there but due to work haven't got a chance to make it back out, although I did fly a fighter jet this weekend. (look for my post from a yesterday for that experience).Anyways, Good Luck and keep going for it!-------------Holding Short

How good is your imagination?;)Fun, huh?

Guest Vulcho

Hey thanks for the replies guys.Really appreciate the input.I hope that I can fly more in the fall when I start school-and get a job. This summer I am flying all over the place but in airliners.Can't wait for my next flight.Alex.