Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

A problem already.........

Guest Lindy

...... from my computer shop. The tech there tells me most of my problems appear to have been caused by my McAfee antivirus software! (???) Not sure I actually believe him, but I do know that virus software CAN cause difficulties. But I've had McAfee for years. Well, I'll see when I get the computer back.They couldn't explain why my modem was running so poorly though. It's a 56K and it runs worse than the 33.6 that was previously installed. I have the same model modem on my work computer, and that one runs fine. Go figure. Guess I'll be getting my machine back sometime today.... so I might have MSFS 02 installed this evening. Let's hope so anyway. I might even try to locate an inexpensive GEForce card and see if I can get it installed and running.... FINALLY.Wish me good luck, fellas. :-beerchug-Lindy

It's very possible it was your antivirus software, although Norton has (in the past) been the worse offender in this area (the "older" Norton kept a lot of Adobe products from running properly in its default configuration).Good luck with your revised machine, Lindy. I'm *sure* you'll enjoy FS2K!

Guest tallpilot

I could have told you Lindy you would have problems. :(It's the "Voodoo Curse" of Pro Pilot. :-bat It attacks anyone that leaves the fold and that's the reason I left PP99 on my machine. :-lol It took a while to get you but the "Curse" is patient. :-laugh1Cap'n Tall

Guest Lindy

Well, maybe you're right, Ed. ;-) I've got my machine back but haven't attempted to reinstall FS2002 yet. But I'll probably hold my breath until installation is complete.On an unrelated matter, does anyone know if the size of one's monitor affects how quickly a webpage will load? I have two computers, each one with the same brand modem, using the same phone line. The only real difference is one has a 19 inch monitor and the other has a 14 inch monitor. Webpages load up nice and snappy on the computer with the small monitor....is there a connection?-Lindy :-spacecraft

Lindy, I used to swear by McAfee AV. Now I just swear about it. :-)It used to be all I used until I started noticing problems with my computer when I updated my virusscan. I would reinstall the original, everything would be fine, after a few updates, had problems again. Last updated version of McAfee I bought caused system instability on my computer on a regular basis. So, the tech at your computer store may be onto something.Now I swear by AVG virusscan here:http://www.grisoft.com/They have a no-frills free download that works just fine for my needs. And no virus has got me yet. They also see to stay onto of updating their virus info.If that doesn't work, I'd fall back on Ed's theory of the abandonment of Propilot causing you a curse. :-lol

No....no....not Mcafee aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhI used to swear by it also, not no more!! :)I use the new norton antivirus 2002 (www.symantec.com). It is sweet, no problems yet after a year. I also recommend Trend Micro as well there stuff is good also. www.antivirus.com is their website.Mcafee yuck, bad Mcafee. Sorry it has caused me many nightmares with clients!!http://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssig.jpg"There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"

Guest Lindy

......... for at least confirming that the McAfee software really could have been the culprit. AT least I just got the program fully installed... yippee! Now, do I need to insert one of the CDs in order to run the program? If so, which one? With my slower system (PIII 700/TNT2Ultra 32 mg card) the installation defaults to 800x600 resolution. That's what I'll keep while I play with the sliders. I'm not a "frame rate junkie" but I do lust for smooth performance. Any advice about what options to change.... leave default...... turn off entirely? ???Oh... the shop installed my SB Live software and boy! does my computer sound good now!!!! hahahahaGuess I'm about ready to take spin around downtown Chicago (the default IS still Meigs Field, yes?) Wish me luck.-Lindy :-wave

If you did the full install of the sim (almost 2 gigs) you will not need one of the cds. If not it will ask you for whichever one it needs.For your installation 800x600 is ok, I would suggest you keep all the sliders about half way see how it performs and then tweak it to your satisfaction. As far as AI is concerned keep it at or below 20-30% or play with it until you are satisfied with the results. Set your frame rate slider to around 20-25fps for a smooth ride.FS2002 basically needs you to play around with the settings until you feel comfortable with what you have.SB LIVE ROCKS. I have that one and I love it. Yup Meigs is the default, but you can save any flight as the default once you decide what you want as your starting point.http://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssig.jpg"There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"

Lindy,No CD with a "full" install. And even with that "duct" taped PIII600/Viper 770 Ultra that I had/still have, I was able to run FS2002 in 1024&768 with fluid frame rates. Up the res if you can!! Water & AI aircraft are some of the fps hogs. With the Athlon 1900, I still run water effects about have way which gives reflections & waves, but no sunlight across the ocean effects. And AI is "up there"L.Adamson

>On an unrelated matter, does anyone know if the size of >one's monitor affects how quickly a webpage will load? Absolutely not. It's like asking whether having a big-screen TV will play your videos slower than a 19" one.The monitor is a non-factor -- indeed, you could disconnect your monitor and the pages will load exactly the same rate (although you'd be hard pressed to tell :>). Now, the graphics card may very well have something to do with the matter -- are you using the same card and running the same exact resolution?

The size and fragmentation level of ones hard drive can cause slow page loads due to the browser cache being excessive and all over the place ...Flush your browser cache Lindy and see if it helps out the slow poke ... Assuming Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files and Clear History buttons ...Following the logic that Defrag was never running, you are probably quite the mess ... ie: it may take a good 5-10 minutes for it to complete the deletion.This might explain your performance problems when browsing on this machine vs the other machines with the same modem.Ray

Guest Lindy

Kelley.....The video cards aren't the problem either. The "slow" machine is a PIII 700/TNT2Ultra 32 mg card/320mg RAM/19" monitor. The "quick" machine is a Celeron 500/integrated Intel 16 mg video card/64mg RAM/14" monitor. I didn't REALLY think the monitor would be the problem, but it was the only variable left that seemed to make any sense. I run both machines at 16 bit color/1024x768 res.Ray...... The "slow" machine has now been defragged at the computer shop. Indeed, they told me that the modem appeared to be just fine. They saw nothing wrong with the page-loading speed when they connected at the shop. By now, y'all are probably thinking this is just my imagination, but really, the difference in speed when online between the two machines is VERY noticeable. The only other real difference I can think of is the modem in the "quick" machine is OEM. The other "slow" modem was installed, replacing a 33.6 modem. But I can't see how that could be a problem.I can live with the situation as it is..... but it is still a puzzlement to me.-Lindy